Algae ID... is this Bryopsis?

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My tank is pretty new, about a month old. In the last few weeks I have developed this algae that grows in strands that look like feathers, but not large clumps really (sorry for the picture quality. It was taken under actinics, the algae is actually green-- I'll try to get a better pic tonight). Growing on rock, glass, and sand. I have both this algae pictured, and some diatoms, but diatoms have mostly died off.

Last I measured in my tank a few days ago, my levels were as follows: 1.025 SG, 80 degrees F, 0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates (api tested), 0 phosphates (salifert tested), 8 dkh alkalinity (salifert tested), 410 calcium (salifert tested).

I probably do overfeed a bit-- flake food for 2 clownfish that now live in the tank since it cycled. But I've never shown any levels of Nitrates/Phosphates so I thought I was okay...

The algae doesn't seem to be getting any WORSE at least, but it's not getting better either. I ordered a CUC of snails the other day.

Any help IDing is appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_0179[1] (2).jpg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my monitor on the side and it still looks like bryopsis to me

OP
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thank you. I'm uploading a clearer pic and putting this out there in case someone comes across this thread in future and have the same thing in their tank:
unnamed.jpg

I too thought it was bryopsis but wanted to make sure before trying to treat with magnesium, since it will kill my snails that I just added. I sent the clearer pic over to Bob Fenner on his FAQ's and he said it's not bryopsis, it's either a brownish green hair algae or Moneran.

HTH someone in future!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good deal, glad for you it's not bryopsis, maybe can syphon some out with the next water change

Back