My little bit of the ocean

scottishreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’ve only just become a member of this forum and I thought I should introduce myself and post some info about my my tank. Hopefully I’ll upload some pics soon.

I have been keeping fish for about 20 years off and on, firstly it was just a small tropical tank then I progressed to keeping and breeding Malawi cichlids. I think it was then that I wanted more of a challenge and started my first marine tank, one of the old methods where undergravel filters were the norm. Oh, how things have progressed since then. I did however manage with a few fish and a couple of inverts. Unfortunately, personal circumstance caused me to have a break from fishkeeping for a couple of years but I was bitten by the bug again about 9 years ago and wanted to set up another marine tank.

My present tank has been running for about 3 years in total, including a house move 16 months ago. The only thing that has changed in this time is more corals, more fish, a couple of rescapes and the upgrade of adding the par38 lamps, the sump and refugium after I moved to this house.

My present set up is -

Tank - 48 (L) x 18 (W) x 22 (H) with a diy overflow

The sump is 30 x 15 x 15, plus I have an additional 90 litre storage tub that I use as a refugium with chaeto and caulerpa (thinned out every couple of weeks) which is swimming with lots of pods and mysid shrimp of some kind. The refugium is fed from the sump and returns to the final chamber before being pumped back to the main tank.

The sump and refugium are in a large 'walk in' cupboard that is back to back with the main tank. All aquarium electrics are fed from its own circuit breaker.

Skimmer – Bubble Magus NAC7

D+D FMR75 media reactor running biopearls

Live rock - approx 50kg

Circulation – 1 x Vortech MP40w and 1 x Koralia Evolution 2800. The return from the sump is an H2Ocean 2000 pump.

Lighting – Pacific Sun Metis CRP 2x100w and 4x36w, par38 ( 2x with all blue 460nm and 2x with 6 white 14000K and 6 blue 460nm) The refugium is lit by a 10w (6500K) led flood light and a 23w energy saver daylight (6500K) lamp.

Livestock – regal tang, juv. yellow tang, juv. foxface, coral beauty, bicolour angel, a pair of common clowns, 3 clarkii clown, 3 sm. allen’s damsels and a filefish which got rid rid of an aiptasia outbreak I had a about 18months ago, and while it doesnt touch any of the corals, it can stay. I am aware that many of you will be saying that I am well overstocked, but in saying that, I haven’t had any problems with my parameters by running bio pearls, weekly 10% water changes and top off with RO/DI water. The only thing I dose is 2 drops of Lugol’s solution every other day. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

Critters - a few hermit crabs, trochus snails and a cleaner shrimp,

Corals/Inverts – I have a bit of a mix at the moment, have a few softies, mushrooms, zoas etc, a bubble tip anemone, a few large lps and a couple of sps.

I know that there is loads of room for improvement with my system and I hope to upgrade my system at a point, cut down on the majority of my softies and expand to some more demanding LPS and SPS corals making more use of my available lighting.

Any comments, criticism welcome.

Cheers!

George

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!! Welcome to R2R! Would love to some pics of your tank!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey George and Welcome to R2R!Great looking Tank

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Awesome looking tank!!

OP
OP
S

scottishreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's a bit of an update with my tank.
I've had to move the Catalaphyllia and Duncan's to another tank as the bicolour angel decided it liked the taste of them after being in the tank nearly 3 years. It was easier to do that than catch the angel.
Here's how the tank looks just now.
image.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back