New to SW & R2R

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am female, Canadian & new to saltwater tanks and R2R :smile:
I have recently (last 3 weeks) been reading, reading, reading and researching everything. Some is sinking in, some ... not so much :neutral:

I bought a 10 gallon tank w/top fin heater, an API superclean 5-20 filter and a coralife 18" light fixture for $10 bucks off craigslist. I thought it was a good deal. I have no hood yet but can use a clean window pane for that Im sure. I have plans of building this into a "nano" reef tank eventually but am starting out with a fowlr tank and very slowly...of course!!

I read about DIY rock and have made about 11lbs of very nice pieces using: cement, washed aquarium gravel, crushed oyster shells AND some washed crushed coral (also came with the tank and stuff). I re"washed" the washed stuff using nothing but HOT water & aquarium salt. My DIY rock was sluiced every single day for 3 weeks, run under running water for a half hour a day, sluiced again and water changed. I tested it for 4 days in a row, the pH = 8ish.
1. bought 6lbs of live wet rock from my local fish store on saturday and put that in a tub with 6 gallons of fresh mixed saltwater (tap + instant ocean) by pkg directions. Added is my new maxijet 400 powerhead on the 500gph setup and the topfin heater.
2. i received my 20lb bag of CaribSea live sand with the powerhead and instant ocean salt mix...

Can I now "setup" my 10 gallon with the live sand, powerhead (on the 110 gph settings), filter, heater and rock and just let it all cycle until ammonia and nitrites read 0??
Should I continue to let my purchased rock and DIY rock just "cure" indefinitely in the tub?
Am I missing any necessary equipment etc to successfully begin a tank cycle?
If I set it up to cycle ... do I use the light or not in the cycling process?
When (if) do I add a hermit crab? Will the tank hold either 1 damselfish OR 1 clownfish (not both)?
Soooooooo many questions still, I really really am in NO huge rush to add fish but would really like to get the tank cycling. I would love to be able to have 1 fish in the next 5 months. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF!! Your off to a smart start! Reading and researching will be your foundation, good approach. I would recommend using RO/DI water rather than tap water. Tap water simply put is full of chemicals and dirty. You can go ahead a mix the live rock in with your homemade rock and live sand for your tank to be cycled. Your live sand and rock should be enough to get the cycle going. Having your light on while cycling may spark an algae growth maybe leave it on for an hour or two a day. I would wait until all your parameters are where they should be to introduce any reef creatures. good luck! any pics?

Last edited:

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! i have no experience with diy rock so not sure if or how it would effect cycling but, to accelerate the process to get to the fun part of adding fish, i bought Nutri Seawater. It's already biologically active and becuase of that does not require a cycle. I set my tank up with live rock, live sand, and that water, and had fish by the end of the week. Of course it's $15 for 4.5 gallons, but at 10 gallons that's not so bad if you're impatient like me.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome lots of good info here to help you along.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]seancc317[/FONT]
- I AM very impatient, but here in canada the only place I can find nutri seawater to buy is on amazon.ca and they want 67.99 + tax + shipping for 4.4 gallons!! I am not rich and so have to go the long route and cycle!
@ spspirate - I do have a line on a whole reverse osmosis system for $100 bucks on craigslist that is within picking up distance from me, responded to the ad and awaiting a response. Until I can get one cheap (or at least reasonable) I will have to continue using dirty old tap water that is conditioned. Please cross your fingers and wish me luck in finding a system BEFORE I actually go ahead and set up the lil 10 gallon tank :)
@ Krista - thank you so much for the link to seahorses, they are amazing and I would never have considered (or thought of) raising those instead of a fish!
Thanks to all others for the warm welcome wishes! Means a lot to a noobie like myself.
One more quick but important question: I just tested my pH AND ammonia in the water in with my "live rocks and DIY rocks" - ammonia is VERY low at only 0.5ppm but the pH has gone and spiked back up again after I just did a 100% water change yesterday. It is 8.8+ and I am wondering if I should just leave it all in the tub for a few days more or a week. Can I still move it all over to the tank with my live sand and let the sytem run? I would appreciate opinions on this before doing, changing or moving anything again :)

seancc317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! That sucks. Sorry lol that water made my life a heck of a lot easier. Well, good luck with your cycling and remember good things come to those who wait. It will all be very worth it.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, it looks like you are doing a fine job. The params in your tank will be going up and down during the cycling period, changing water will almost definitely help it Keep reading and post often, the guys here will sure help you out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

jCoffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I also think you are off to a great start! Interested in hearing about your DIY rock. I tried a similar thing with cinder blocks in a breeder tank and had good seeding in a couple months. RO/DI is the way to go but if it's not available you could grab distilled from the local grocery store and have no issues. If you have a local reef shop (not big box) that you trust they may even sell RO/DI water by the gallon/liter. Mine does .50 a gallon strait or $1 per with salt. Pretty good deal. Water change will help get your tank back to center on params when using a good salt. To get things going I wouldn't buy the expensive stuff... Reef crystals are pretty affordable and has just the right stuff to get things sorted. Also brightwell along with a few other good labs make DK buffers to keep your pH stay as close to 8.3 as it can. Alkalin8.3 is what I would try between the water changes to help keep the pH there.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is....

Just put the rocks in the 10 gal (was waiting on getting my live sand):
Iphone 2013-10-20 025.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 029.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 031.jpg
Iphone 2013-10-20 033.jpg

sand is: CaribSea pink fiji - will add the bio pack a bit later (once the cloudiness clears a bit)
The API superclean supposedly acts as both filter and a protein skimmer but we shall see!
I plan to do 1 x / week water changes and leave this system run until around xmas time. pH checks will be regular. Some of this was bought as "live rock" from two separate places, two different types, I have some Marco rock (dry base) in there along with two or three pieces of my own DIY rock. Should make for an interesting journey!! :wink:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back