New to the Forum but not saltwater... 220 building

Cwindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and setup look amazing, sorry for the problems you're having. What kind of lighting are you using with the RTBA? I can tell they are LEDs but what brand and style?

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't remember what brand they are, was told they are a chinese version, 3 what, single row, with blue and white, has dimmers on the end for both. I bought them from Reef Plus in Aurora IL.
I may upgrade to something else soon, maybe radion's or I'm going to talk to my friend/President of the Rockford Reef Club. Every so often he does an order for similar led's like the Radion but are about half the price roughly and still programmable. I also have a 12 led par38 light with a gooseneck that I bought off a fellow reefer on ChicagoReefs.com. I'll look and see what brand it is if I can find it.

Reef Plus - Saltwater Fish Store (Illinois) - Tons of Corals!

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Yeah if you call ReefPlus they'll be happy to answer your questions. I'm not sure if they'll ship the lights but ask them. With some of the leds that they sell over the internet that are the chinese brand you have to be careful because some of them use the pc leds and they are not strong enough from what I have heard. The one rbta finally found a perm home and hasn't moved for a couple of weeks now. The other one moves from the top back middle of the tank to the top right side of the tank. Had to move a powerhead the other day because it had its tentacles stuck in it.
It's slowly getting there. Just received my ball valve with double union today from Amazon, Hayward brand. Came with a threaded and slip ends. Going to use the threaded so I can reuse it when I move out of my fiances parents house. We're hopefully going to start looking at houses to buy soon. So I'll have to make sure I can fit the tank in the houses we look at. Also must have at least a two car garage so I can put my 91 MR2 in there for the winter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super stoked! Plumbed the ball valve union in today, fixed the 90's that were leaking on the 1.5" return. Grilled for the future in-laws and the PITA, oh I mean fiance. lol! Dialed back the ball valve and turned on the return pump and OH YEAH everything works with no issues. Added a magnet to the sump return area so I know how much water to added after evaporation. Now to wait for my next paycheck to order the dual reactor for GFO and Carbon.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked out my clownfish harem, friend of mine is QT'ing them for 3-4 weeks all tank bred.
2 Davinici Grade A
1 Picasso Grade C
2 Onyx

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my fiance's parents came back from Poland, every day now I get an update on the tank. The pajama cardinal's are schooling and the biggest one goes off on its own or the water level in the sump is way down below the magnet cleaner. Its almost like having a reef keeper that talks. lol! So I've been teaching them a little bit about everything up to the extent of my knowledge.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I did with the sump, want to see if it will work like a protein skimmer and collect the foam and detritus in the bucket.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is coming in from both overflows thru one pvc 1" pipe from upstairs, comes into the Zero Edge 7 36" sump hits the bottom of the sump, also there's a 5-6" black pvc pipe with holes cut in it that came with the sump. So I'm guessing that the water creates air bubbles from escaping through those holes. Then it has a close wall where the filter sock sits where the water overflows into it, down into a refugium area which I haven't setup anything yet there, then goes into a return section which has nothing, was drilled by Steve at ReefPlus where i bought it for the 1.5" bulkhead to go out to the return pump. I'll have to check on it in the am and see what happens. I'm thinking it will bubble better if I reduce the height of the pvc going into the 5 gallon bucket. I was thinking of just adding a collection cup on top of the inlet where the white pvc is.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out the other day my Picasso Grade C decided to take the big jump out of QT to surf the floor. Sooo, now it will be
3 Davinci clownfish
2 Onyx clownfish

Going to pick out another Davinci this week hopefully, have to arrange a time and day with my friend. Will be picking all 5 clowns up around Oct 5th after 4 weeks of QT.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some new clowns coming next weekend. 2 Davinici's and 2 Onyx, One Davinci not pictured. Total of 5 clownfish all together! Thanks you @Goat585

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the clowns and a falco hawkfish on Friday. Thanks to @goat585 for the 5 Clowns: 3 Davinci's and 2 Onyx. Picked up the Falco from ReefPlus.
Falco Hawkfish

Cabbage Leather

Aussie Orange and Blue Hammer Corals

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Tomini Tang a couple weeks ago, he's battling the small amount of hair algae in my tank. Ordering a reactor this weekend for carbon or maybe use it for gfo.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back