New to the Forum but not saltwater... 220 building

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had freshwater aquariums since I was 5 yrs old. Got into saltwater when I was 22yrs old living in Chicago. Recently combine my 55, 40 and 40 sump/refugium into a Marineland 220rr. Bought a Reeflo Hammerhead hybrid gold pump recently to get enough flow going from the basement/cellar and back up about 10-11ft to the returns. I may add in a 40breeder for a refugium or build my 100g rubbermaid stock tank into a refugium. Haven't decided on that yet. I'm still working on getting all the plumbing parts I need for it. So far just elbows and converters from 1.5" to 1" and one piece of 1.5" x 5' pvc pipe. Need some recommendations on pvc fittings and what not to plumb it. I'm possibly moving out of my fiances parents house come Sept 2014 or March/April of 2015. Like to make it easy to tear down everything. Trying to find stuff in Menards is a pain in the neck! I don't want to spend a fortune on plumbing it. Any tips would be great!

So far I have:
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Hawaiian Tang
1 Starry Blennie
1 Sleeper Blue Dot Gobie
3 Pajama Cardinals
2 Skunk cleaner shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
2 Onyx Clowns Yellow black and white

Corals:
1 purple tip Hammer
1 Octopus Frogspawn Green
1 Cabbage Leather thats green/purple

1 RBTA

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the corals and rbta are still in my sump until I get the plumbing all set up. Here's one pic so far of some of the rock work.
attachment.php

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 4 10ft 1" diameter pvc pipe today from Lowes. Thursday I bought the pvc 90's and T's. Hopefully I have everything I need to plumb it right.

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally did the walk through at my old place in Sycamore, one less headache out of the way. Can relax a bit and then start my plumbing after a overnight at work. 3 days to go and my weekend begins again! Looking at corals online. I like the blastomusa corals, may get those next and maybe some new fish to add. Was looking at a 6 line wrasse. I've always like the colors but I think I'll add it last since it can be territorial with other fish in the tank. Any recommendations on reef safe or what would be safe with the corals and rbta along with my other fish would be nice!

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thought yesterday that I'd go home after work and do some plumbing on the tank. That will be a big no on that. Haven't slept in more than 24 hours. Going home after work and passing out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looking good!

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, its all in the works to get plumped this weekend. Should be picking up a couple more pvc fittings on Friday before or after picking up my White Cheek Tang.

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also doing some plumbing work and I got this from another member. It should help you with flow rates
image.jpg

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to change the 1.5" to 1" right on the in flow and out flow. Bought some fittings to change it right away. I think the 100 rubbermaid stock tank outlet on the bottom of it is 1". Still have to figure that one out after I drain the water out of it and put it in another tank. Looking to plumb in a 40breeder that's already drilled for 1" for a coral outgrow or make it a refugium. Probably have one of the overflows drain to that and when that drains it will go to a filter sock with the other overflow too.

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you don't have to reduce it. Your pump inlet is 1.5 and you outlet is 1.5 as well? I have the dart hybrid and it has a 2"inlet and a 1.5" outlet. I spoke with the manufacturer which recommended that I don't reduce the inlet to less than the outlet to avoid turbulence and damage to the pump. I hope this helps. Do you have a sketch is how you plan on plumbing the system?

OP
OP
T

tribalturtle2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a drawing. What your saying makes sense with the inlet. I read the instruction manual on my Reeflo Hammerhead Gold Hybrid but I don't think I came across anything about reducing the inlet. I'll have to look again on that.

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't find that in the manual. I had to call and ask about that because I wanted to reduce the inlet. I reduced mine from 2" to 1.5 to match my outlet and it runs just fine, no problems. How far are you going with 1.5 on your outlet? Since you have 10' of head you might want to consider running 1.5 all the way up and then reduce at your returns. This will help with head loss since you are not restricting the flow right out of the pump

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back