thirsty for knowlege...new to forums...

nebraska dreamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done saltwater for a couple years now and ive just done FOWLR. recently started a 75 gal reef tank with a 40 gal sump refugium. just a couple of questions about the fuge and so far no one can really give me a good answer. as far as chaeto whats the best/ cheapest lighting to get and do you leave it on 24 hours a day or just turn it on at night when display tank lights are off?? secondly is it a good or bad idea to put a couple cerith snails and blue legged hermit crabs in there. my line of thinking was they could control any detritus build up and trouble algae that accumulate in the fuge, or will the added ammonia and nitrates from the animals defeat the purpose? and excuse my ignorance but will the crabs eat the chaeto? any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks tank homies!

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a PAR38 grow light from the local big box home improvement store. It grows the algae really well as well as lighting my mangrove tree. As far a life in the fuge, put whatever you feel the fuge will support. I started off with a couple of emeralds and a couple of hermits. I now take any unwanted snails (like sundial snails) or any other items not good for the reef and move them down to the fuge. As long as they are not so small that they clog your return pump, you should be good. I like that mine keep the top layers of the sediment in the fuge stirred up. I also have some rock rubble down there and the hermits are constantly rolling it around. If the crabs eat the chaeto, you would never know it. The stuff still has to be harvested weekly. I see no ill effects from the added life.

In fact, my next project includes a refugium as part of the display with a few non-reef safe fish to boot.

OP
OP
nebraska dreamin

nebraska dreamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful! thanks! what about the time cycle for the lights...24 hours a day or just at night? and how much are you supposed to harvest weekly of the chaeto? meaning what do you look for to harvest? also I noticed some little things that looked like slugs in the chaeto but they are firm almost like pods of some kind...any ideas??

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long time ago my friend keep sea horses in his with rocks and coral and stuff in there looked pretty cool

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run the light 24hours or just have it on at night to help stabilize your ph. The little guys you are describing sound like stomatella's. Welcome to REEF2REEF!!!

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours a day or just at night? and how much are you supposed to harvest weekly of the chaeto?

You can run your refugium lighting 24h if you like.

Your results may vary regarding how much and how often you harvest.

For good growth Cheato likes a fair amount of lighting along with some moderate flow... it also needs nitrates and phosphates as "fertilizer" to help fuel rapid growth. If you supply the flow and the lighting and you still cant get any growth don't be too disappointed, most likely that indicates your nitrate and phosphate levels are low enough to not support good macro algae growth (which is usually a good thing unless you are purposely wanting to grow algae!)

walkabout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want flatworms that what cost my 200 build to go down but it's going back up now

Attachments

• 1408587856745.jpg
    1408587856745.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
nebraska dreamin

nebraska dreamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you although it doesnt look like flat worms or snails. It more.of a.bubble.and.when you pop it it oozes a grey viscus liquid
1408593719965.jpg
1408593719965.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Back