Greetings!!

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,

I'm a reefer from Bend, Oregon. I'm looking for a change of pace so decided to transition my primary forum to here.

Shout out to the local Portland/Seattle area guys for whom their indispensable expertise has pushed me further than I had ever imagined.

A little about me:

My hobbies are Mountain Biking/Adventuring, Reefing, and lighting design. I am an automation engineer by trade so tinkering/modding/building are my passion. I was unimpressed with the lighting technologies presented when I hopped back into the hobby a couple years back so I started developing my own spectrum mixes, primarily with LED's. This has lead me to near madness as I revise/rebuild to master lighting sources specializing in Ultra BTA's and zoas. Zoa/BTA morphing has become a primary focus between lighting builds.

I strongly believe in corals by design, as well as designer fish. Mastering this will lead to less demand for wild collected stock. I also see this somewhat akin to some of the longer established hobby's such as tropical freshwater or orchid growing.

A little about my setup:

I have a 6G Fluval Edge as my display tank in the house, primarily stocked with Zoas, acans, and chalices. The sump/support systems are in the garage, total system volume hovers around 500 gallons including 1ea buckhorn 4x4x2 shipping container for an equipment sump, 1 more for grow-out, and a 48x24x7" lighting test tank built into a desk where I keep the stuff that is transitioning. I keep my bio-load down to working fish/inverts

That sums it up, I look forward to meeting some new people and contributing to what I believe to be the most challenging and rewarding hobby I have ever encountered.

Happy Reefing!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! am really interested to see pictures of your setup! may I ask what you mean when you say ultra BTA? would love see pictures of your BTA's and zoas :)

OP
OP
Bombertech

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! am really interested to see pictures of your setup! may I ask what you mean when you say ultra BTA? would love see pictures of your BTA's and zoas :)

Thanks,

Generally speaking ultra BTA's have a coloration 2-3 times more intense than regular BTA's. Household names such as: Colorado Sunburst, Inferno, Rainbow Inferno, Lemon Drop, Ruckus, etc. I'll take a side by side pic of my rainbow inferno and a standard BTA and post it. In the mean time, here are some pics from my photobucket, some old, some new.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you on here too!

OP
OP
Bombertech

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy frags batman!
U got a display tank?
Yeah, I tend to hoard frags since there ins't anyone local to trade with these days. I am in the process of setting up a new frag tank to allocate more room. I scored a Truvu 300 Flat Commercial Frag Tank last year but have been waiting on getting a stand built.

Display tank? Yep, sure do! 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I have it piped through the wall.

Picked up a 2ft tall, 12" diameter vase today for a tank build for my night stand. Should be fun!

Guess it's about time for a system build thread.

OP
OP
Bombertech

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of one of my BTA's wifey took for me today. Beautiful Rainbow Inferno, one of my favorites.

Getyourpods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! We are glad to have you!
If we can assist you in any way, just let us know :)
Great pictures !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back