Hello!

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm Kris from Milwaukee. Have been around tanks all my life, my father having FW tanks since before I was born, and still does to this day. As a kid I was always interested in them and always helped him with his tanks, other than a Kool-Aid incident which he’ll never let me live down. He also had a SW tank for awhile in the 80s, which was naturally my introduction to them as well.

In the late 90s I got into SW myself, mainly keeping FOWLR tanks as I’m a fan of triggers, but I also kept a 30g softie tank during that time as well. Around 2008 or so I had torn my tanks down because I was going to be making a major move for work. Naturally, after I got rid of livestock, tore everything down, and got rid of most of it, I didn’t end up moving and instead ended up losing my job (2008-2009 was a great time for that :eek:hwell: ) Things went from bad to worse shortly after, with my mothers health failing so needless to say I was out of the hobby for a few years.

Fast forward to October of last year, and I got my current tank, a 6ft 150g tank up and running. I use a 75g split into a half sump, half fuge, and it’s on the other side of a wall from the tank under a 4ft tall bench. Being 6’6â€, that tall bench is one of my favorite things lol, not to mention is gives me a lot of room under it for the sump, and the majority of my mucking around is away from the DT.

This time around I intended to do a bit of a mix of my previous tanks, having only a few “non-reef safe†fish (crustacean eaters, not coral nippers) in a “lite†softie reef. A big focus this time was ease of maintenance, on a budget, as I find when routine maintenance is easy, it actually gets done routinely. Being on a budget, nothing is automated other than an ATO, but by having the stuff relatively easy to do, I find I even enjoy doing maintenance (or maybe I’m just getting old :whistle:)

With that, I know everyone always like pics. I’ll have to get some decent full tank shots with the couple softies I have so far (nothing special yet) and some of the sump area, but for now I have a couple of the only 3 fish in the tank so far. All 3 pics were taken last month.

First guy put in the tank in November ’13 was this guy. Was a tiny guy, a bit over 1†when I got him. He’s currently around 4-1/2†long. His blue colors bugs the camera out a bit so it’s not easy to get a decent pic of him. Obviously, Niger Trigger.
DSC00490_zps4adf8eac.jpg

Next one in the tank was this guy, was put in the tank in January of this year. I’ve always wanted one of these guys. He was around 3†when I got him, currently around 5-1/2â€. I've always read these guys can be rather timid and shy, but apparently this guy never got the memo because he never was either since the day I brought him home. He was having a "mood" when this pic was taken, thus the unusual coloring of his stripes. Aussie Harlequin Tusk.
DSC00439_zps034557ec.jpg

And last guy put in the tank to date, in April '14, is pretty much the CUC lol, although there are 7 larger nerite snails that haven't been bothered so far. He’s currenly around a foot or so and getting thick, was probably around 9†when I got him. He’s actually quite active, even when the lights are on, and darn impressive to watch how quickly he finds food that makes it to the bottom. Chainlink Moray Eel.
DSC00559_zpseb986c13.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I look forward to talkin’ shop with everyone!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Getyourpods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures! Welcome to Reef2Reef! We are glad to have you and look forward to doing business with you :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back