Hello from a student trying to reef on a buget

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My name is Chad (can call me Wags) and I my significant other (Maddie) and I have just recently purchased and set up our first marine aquarium. After about a month of looking we found an awesome deal on a complete 50 cube system. We are absolutely loving all the information that we are learning on here and are hoping to meet more reefers to share the wonders of reef aquariums with. Here is our tank!

10686709_957582244257517_8826497294264351941_n.jpg

pretty bare so far! Say hello and we will make sure to follow your tank threads!

Chad and Maddie

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, I wish you all the best in this new venture... Have fun and share your progress with us.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! :D
I hope your experience is a good one!
Please set up a quarantine before buying any animals...it will save you a lot of trouble and money (and possibly heartache) in the long run...

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Oh man the 50 cubes are so awesome! +1 on the quarantine tank! It will save you time, $$, aggravation, and save your animals. Buy the best equipment that you can afford and then upgrade as you are able to. (if you wish to upgrade). It is easy to get caught up in the equipment so really do your research to see what you actually need and if it will even be a benefit to your tank. Lastly, take it slow. Master one thing at a time before you move on to something else. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Good luck and ask questions!

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days QT. It seems like a long time but it's worth it. The first time you get velvet and the rest of your fish stay safe because the carrier was in quarantine...you will thank me.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

OP
OP
Wags

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plans for the tank are to start out with a pair of clowns. Then slowly add more as we go don't have a set stick list yet, any suggestions? Hoping to have success with some corals, I believe the light I have can handle LPS but I need to do more research!

Here's the aquascape, going for something different not sure how much I like it yet. Sorry for the foggy picture!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413428362.237366.jpg

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice fish in the avi, welcome fellow mini marine biologist, the best tip i can give you is research research research before you buy, its kinda like the phrase "measure twice and cut once"

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably replace that electrical outlet over there with a GFCI outlet. I don't see it mentioned much, but a GFCI is a very important, inexpensive upgrade to the outlet you are plugging in all your equipment as well as any other outlets around the tank. It will protect you and your fish from getting zapped to oblivion if you should get any water in anything electrical or touch it with wet hands. Should anything electrical get wet, the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) detects the change in electrical current and cuts off the power to that outlet, as well as any other outlets daisy chained into that one.

A GFCI will help prevent you from getting electrocuted or even catching the house on fire. Any time you have an outlet near a water source, you really should install a GFCI outlet there. Bathrooms, kitchens (near the sink) and around your aquarium.

So, please, PLEASE take care of that asap. If you don't know how, get someone who does. It will only take 10 minutes, the outlets only cost around ten bucks and it will keep you, your fish, and everyone else safe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably replace that electrical outlet over there with a GFCI outlet. I don't see it mentioned much, but a GFCI is a very important, inexpensive upgrade to the outlet you are plugging in all your equipment as well as any other outlets around the tank. It will protect you and your fish from getting zapped to oblivion if you should get any water in anything electrical or touch it with wet hands. Should anything electrical get wet, the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) detects the change in electrical current and cuts off the power to that outlet, as well as any other outlets daisy chained into that one.

A GFCI will help prevent you from getting electrocuted or even catching the house on fire. Any time you have an outlet near a water source, you really should install a GFCI outlet there. Bathrooms, kitchens (near the sink) and around your aquarium.

So, please, PLEASE take care of that asap. If you don't know how, get someone who does. It will only take 10 minutes, the outlets only cost around ten bucks and it will keep you, your fish, and everyone else safe.

+1. And I always recommend getting a qualified electrician to do it.

KingOfPain86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plans for the tank are to start out with a pair of clowns. Then slowly add more as we go don't have a set stick list yet, any suggestions? Hoping to have success with some corals, I believe the light I have can handle LPS but I need to do more research!

Here's the aquascape, going for something different not sure how much I like it yet. Sorry for the foggy picture!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413428362.237366.jpg

Welcome and sweet aquascape! Best piece of advice I can give is to go slow. Don't rush. It causes more problems then you need. +1 on everyone else's advice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%
Back