New to R2R

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

My name is Tim and I have been in the hobby for about 3 years. Started with a 55g FOWLR and then moved on to a LPS reef. I have just purchased a Marineland RR 93 gallon frameless which I'm very excited about (just picked it up yesterday). My brother is a carpenter so we built the stand to my liking (2 doors). For the 93 I have gone with 2 Ocean Revive T247 LED's which I have seen in action from my coral supplier :). Pretty excited to see them but I am a bit worried about the 24" depth may be a bit much for them. I currently have a Aqueon Pro-Flex model 2 sump from my 55 but am definitely going to change that. Was really thinking of making my own and partitioning the inside but haven't ever built one yet. Have an Emperor Lite 18w UV light, Reef Octopus XS160 protein skimmer & 2 MP10WES with backup battery all making the move to the 93 cube. I would love to hear some thoughts on what type or kind of sandbed I should use. I have some wrasses as they are one of my favorite fish. The tank will be mostly LPS dominate with the softies and maybe a couple SPS (monti's). Also, I have about 75lbs of mixed liverock in my current tank that is about 3 years old and my 55 has 0 nitrates and .04 phosphates although I do get diatom issues and cyano issues from time to time. Should I transfer over my rock and water or start fresh and cycle? Should I do a deep sandbed or normal 2" sandbed? Any suggestions appreciated :)

Attachments

• 93 cube side.jpg
    93 cube side.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 93g cube.jpg
    93g cube.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 99

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of a DSB, and you definitely have room for one. IME, a deep sand bed requires a lot less maintenance. Have a DSB that's over 9 years old and have never vacuumed it. And, IME, a 2 inch sand bed is a maintenance nightmare. With a low phosphate level like you have I see no reason you shouldn't transfer your rocks.

Welcome to the family at Reef2Reef!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!! Glad you're here!

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of a DSB, and you definitely have room for one. IME, a deep sand bed requires a lot less maintenance. Have a DSB that's over 9 years old and have never vacuumed it. And, IME, a 2 inch sand bed is a maintenance nightmare. With a low phosphate level like you have I see no reason you shouldn't transfer your rocks.

Welcome to the family at Reef2Reef!

Thanks for the info Mike. My current live rock has started to grow a decent amount of hair algae most likely due to my current crappy sandbed. That's why I was unsure but I think you're right. I'm aware you must have at least 4" for a DSB? Is there a certain amount that you would recommend? Also, what type of sand do you prefer and should I use live sand? Once the sandbed is installed, should I dose bacteria for a certain amount of time or will running the tank with my cured live rock be enough? I will probably pick up some more live rock since I only have 75lbs. I usually do 1.5lbs per gallon.

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm a noob on this forum site, can someone let me know how to add a signature describing your reef setup? Noob question i know :p

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for taking so long to answer. I have used this live sand on three different tanks and every time have had clams hatch. Once in awhile a dead clam shell will show up now, some of them up to three inches long. I've also used the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade sand. If I was going to start a new tank I would put in 3 inches of Seaflor sand and another 2 inches of live sand on top. Drs F&S is a great place to order it and get free shipping, too.

Marine Substrates: CaribSea Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand at Foster & Smith Aquatics

I'm not a fan of bacteria in a bottle, so can't answer that one. Your current rocks should do it. Remember to add fish slowly, a few weeks apart in order to let your bacteria reach the necessary levels.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum! As this hobby is with varying opinions, I'd suggest using a shallow sand bed - 1-2 inches and vacuum sections during water changes. I think your rock will be fine but I do like adding bacteria is a bottle (microbacter 7 is the one I've used) to add some biological diversity. If your rock is good with no real issues, I'd move it all over along with a good amount of water. I would not keep any of the 3 year old sandbed - I'd start fresh with that.

it's ultimately up to you in terms of the DSB vs. SSB decision.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to the forum!* Although I have never used a deep sand bed the idea intrigues me and would certainly be doable in your deep tank.I have a 2 inch sand bed in my main display.You will find certain species prefer it.Adding seasoned rock is a good idea.To edit your signature click on settings (upper right by log out) then go to edit signature ( lower left).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever painted the back of their tank? Was pondering if I should do that with my new cube or not. Had a couple fellow reefers from my area tell me not to just because its new tank? I was told you can also tint (if wanting black) the back but probably much pricier. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever painted the back of their tank? Was pondering if I should do that with my new cube or not. Had a couple fellow reefers from my area tell me not to just because its new tank? I was told you can also tint (if wanting black) the back but probably much pricier. Any thoughts?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people paint the back of new tanks. Wish I had, to keep light from sump out of tank at night. Black or maybe blue.

Last edited:

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if don't want to paint your new tank you can always use vinyl. not expensive at all. This is what I put on the panels of my old hex tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VPVUU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it worked great and loved how I can just peel it off whenever I want. I bought it in black, not sure why they don't have it anymore. Either way i'm sure you can find a black out there or that blue one is nice as well

OP
OP
Akida17th

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome I've never seen vinyl used before. It doesn't fall off easily like paper background right?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back