New to Reef 2 Reef....Intro

Rsandry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all Reef2Reef’rs,

I’m new to Reef2Reef so just a quick note to say hello and introduce myself....:wink:

My name is Roy, I live in Northern New Jersey and I have been involved with (hooked on...) fish tanks ever since I was a child with everything from a goldfish bowl to freshwater tanks; tropical and predator, to my current 100gal salt system which is mainly fish only. I have in the past had as many as 4 tanks running at one time but am currently only at one. My current set up is a 78 gal reef tank (20gal sump) with mostly fish and a couple mushroom corals.

I joined this forum to get as much info as I can; with a focus on automation and DIY, as I have an eye on a rebuild or redesign (upgrade) of my tank coming up soon. My current tank has been running for about 5-6 years and has a traditional deep sand bed & "Rock Wall" live rock appearance. I would like to move to a more open look with less rock (and maybe a slightly larger tank). My problem is the same as many others within this hobby in that I love all types of fish, inverts and coral and would need 50 tanks to accommodate them all, so choices (sacrifices) need to be made. This is my current dilemma as I want to move more into a coral tank BUT still want a nice fish/invert population as well...

I have some unique challenges such as not having a water source (or drain) near my tank which makes it difficult for top-off and water change activities. I also travel pretty frequently for business so some level of automation is required (plus I’m not as on top of tank maintenance as I should be – I’ll admit that up front...).
As I start my rebuild I will undoubtedly be posting questions and looking for some advice. Perhaps even post progress pictures as I move forward...

Thanks!
Roy

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. Your situation sounds like a lot of us. Automation is very important to me also. I travel and work a lot. Very important for me to have a simple to take care of tank that the tank sitter can handle.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Lots of great reefers with great information here. There's also a good amount of us from NJ here as well. Best of luck with upgrading when the time comes.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to the forum Roy!* I would definitely go with Mike J. on this one.Perhaps you have a local reef club in you area where you can meet some sitters.

Back