A tank with a view of Table Mountain.

Brendan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi people.

I am Brendan, A rope access technician that lives in Cape Town, South Africa. I have owned SW tanks now for just over 14 months so I am not completely useless, just slightly. :smile:

Started off with a Boyu TL550, then moved on to a shallow 1.2m and after that experience I had a 1.3m tank built for myself. It is the tank I am going to have for a long long time. Until offshore work kicks in again and I can afford to buy a house, this beauty I currently own will be the tank I keep.

Um, ok here are FTS of the boyu and my 1.2m.

IMG_0579.jpg
2. New pump setup.jpg

The Boyu was my first tank, it was rocking, fell in love with the hobby. As we all know, we out grow the 550's and I found a cheap 1.2m frag tank that I bought. I found a Tennenti at a lfs and because I had a larger tank I was planning to set up, I put a tang in the tank! Then a month and a bit later, I did a tank swap and the 1.2m was up and running. Boom. Unfortunately after a few months I had a brooklynella outbreak and lost all the fish in this tank.

Never even thought of throwing in the towel, I decided that I enjoy the traditional glass tank look and less the plug and play tanks. I ordered a 1.3m tank. Specs are 1.3mL - 0.5m W - 0.5m H. Water level around 47cm. External overflow box.

This tank is about 1 month old. 1 fish.

IMG_2487.jpg
IMG_2488.jpg
IMG_2493.jpg

OP
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VB68 thanks. I have not started a thread and I might. This forum is quite busy, not sure if I like it in all honesty, I am not used to seeing 10 different threads being posted in every 3 minutes lol

Cheers @colourfan45

Thanks Reefing Madness

Thanks a mil Zero Nitrates I also like the pinnacle island look. It was fun to make.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Quite the progression in tank size there ;) I can't wait to upgrade. Keep us posted

OP
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Zero Nitrates. The day that the tunze care magnets came to south africa I got it. Plus i have an extremely low bioload

Howzit luxauterna. I have stopped upgrading I promise! Haha, what is your current tank size and when/why are you upgrading?

Thanks a bunch kireek. I am very happy with what I did rock work wise.

Lol yes I have kevantheman35. Its what happens when you work offshore and come home for 28 days at a time.

Cheers spspirate!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and you live in a beautiful town. I was there for work while the World Cup was going on in Capetown. Even took the tram up to the top of Table Mountain. Gorgeous! Don't let the amount of post traffic get in the way of enjoying this site. There are a lot of people here that will be happy to answer questions and share information with you. It is a very friendly site as well. There is a whole team of us here on the ReefSquad just to help make the site better and welcome folks on board. We all have a real passion for it.

Welcome again!

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy @DaveMorris the cable car is pretty boss, the hikes up the mountain are just as cool (just a lot more strenuous). What did you do here while the world cup was on?

I am a Technical Director for special events and conventions and was doing an event at the convention center for a corporate client.

OP
OP
Brendan

Brendan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Technical Director for special events and conventions and was doing an event at the convention center for a corporate client.

Yea I can see an event or 2 happening during a tome like that. If you took one of those red tour busses you drove right past my window...it's fun to stand in ones kitchen in underwear whilst having there morning coffee as tourists fly past

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back