Newbie and Already Addicted :)

amgelstar0204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

My name is Angel (typo in my username) and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I recently was given a neglected 55 gallon fish only tank. CC, live rock and some cheap equipment (so I've learned from forums) with 2 - 2.5" clowns, 1 - 3.5" damsel (?) and 1 - 2" something (possibly another damsel). Ammonia at 0, nitrites at 0, but nitrates and phosphorous off the charts!

I started researching tips on how to clean up the tank and somehow my minor clean up project has morphed into plans for a bigger main tank, sump system and a separate (not part of sump system) refugium. Oops! This is a dangerous hobby!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing other people's tank setups, learning all I can, and leaning on you experts when I run into questions!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. Large water changes are in order to bring down nitrates and phosphates.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to a great community!

It really doesn't take long to get addicted to this hobby...

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the awesome tank! I would start with WC for nitrates/phosphates. Are you running a skimmer or a refugium? I would add those next. Also increased flow and possibly a phosban reactor with GFO is a later step towards perfect water quality.

Throw up some pictures, ill follow along!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Are you running any phosphate removing media? If not possibly look into a reactor to run some GFO or similar media.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Reefing is addicting. Be warned though, DON'T get rid of that 55, you will want to set it up again later.

Go with a large water change and run some phosphate media. Should help you out.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! +1 to all of the comments above about water changes being key. Don't forget to make a tank thread and post lots of pics!

OP
OP
A

amgelstar0204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike! I've done 3 water changes (over 50% each time) and there is still no dent in the nitrates...ok, maybe just no MEASURABLE dent. My LFS said my nitrates were off the charts so even if they are coming down it's not below the measurable threshold yet. The previous owner didn't do any cleaning of the CC for over 5 years. I'm thinking maybe the CC is the problem?

OP
OP
A

amgelstar0204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the awesome tank! I would start with WC for nitrates/phosphates. Are you running a skimmer or a refugium? I would add those next. Also increased flow and possibly a phosban reactor with GFO is a later step towards perfect water quality.

Throw up some pictures, ill follow along!

Thank you to everyone for the welcome messages and help! I'm new to forums so maybe I'm not supposed to reply to each one of your directly.

Thank you for all your suggestions! I mentioned to Mike (on of you who responded), but I will put the same info here just in case.

I've done 3 water changes (over 50% each time) and there is still no dent in the nitrates...ok, maybe just no MEASURABLE dent. My LFS said my nitrates were off the charts so even if they are coming down it's not below the measurable threshold yet. The previous owner didn't do any cleaning of the CC for over 5 years. I'm thinking maybe the CC is the problem?

I bought some better/higher flow and fully functioning powerheads, plus a better HOB filter to use until I'm able to set up a sump system. I used a type of phosphate removing media that didn't bring me down to measurable levels.

I am currently running a protein skimmer and plan on eventually setting up a refugium, but I am so new to this that I have a ton of research to do before I set one up. I don't want to waste money in setting up a sump only to learn I should have done it differently.

I read somewhere that CC can basically (for lack of a better word) become infiltrated with nitrates that no amount of cleaning will remove. I'm considering just removing the CC completely and continuing with water changes until the levels drop. Torn between adding a new substrate (DSB) or just maintaining the tank until I can do the bigger setup. I hate to make a DSB that I would then have to disturb to start a new tank.

Newbie problems!!! :)

SBLRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the addiction. I am not sore but I think a algae scrubber would help with the phosphates but i am also somewhat new to this also and hope someone will correct me if I am wrong . If it would help the problem I have one I use to run till I moved and did my new setup with a 110 gal refugium . Good luck and just wait till you start into corals if is all down hill from there !

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to the forum Angel!* Are you able to effectively siphon the muck out of the Crushed coral when you are doing water changes ? IT could take weeks for the Nitrates to go down so be patient and keep up the good work!
DSCF8181_zps90423a7_edit_1417050065596.jpg

Back