hi from illinois

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody. Some things about me. Well for one I have recently been hooked on reef tanks for about a year. I have had salt fish tanks since about 1995 though. I work graveyard shift in the er dept. I am a cat scan tech. I don't have any friends that reef so
they all think I'm nuts:dance:. Well maybe they're right. I think about the things I need to do to my tank constantly. I feel more like a mad scientist with test tubes and chemicals and experiments all the time. I never feel like my tank is done. I have learned a fair amount from "the google". Lots of times this forum comes up, so I do read here often. Thought i'd join so I can ask direct questions and make a few new friends. It's calming to my nerves to know there are other people like me out there. lol This is the first forum I've ever joined so I will do my best. I am a female if you didn't notice by my name. I love everything ocean. I am land locked in east central illinois but go to florida every year if I can with my family. This past october I brought back a cooler of coral in the backseat. Best trip ever! So anyway glad to meet everyone.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. You chose the right forum. Everyone here is so nice and helpful. Sounds like R2R has added another reef addict to its membership:)

ILL!!! (U of I class of 93)

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You picked a great one for info, this place is great with a lot of nice people.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum. I lived in champaign for about 5 years. Not too many lfs around there but shoot me a pm and I can point you towards some really great hobbyists in the area.

OP
OP
chickofthesea

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are all so nice. ILI !!!
I forgot to tell a little about my tank. It's 75 gallons and is doing pretty well. I love lps coral. I have 3 brains, 2 hammers, sun coral, several different kinds of polyps and zoas,candycane. 2 war corals, green mushrooms, 2 plate and a duncan. For fish I have an atlantic blue tang, a midas blenny, a chalk bass,a kings damsel,grees cromis, and a yellow line cromis that has turned all black and now has blue eyes. Last but not let my clarki clown that i've had for 10 years. I have about 2 dozen different kinds of hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. Tank parameters are All excellent. I don't have a sump for fear of an over flow but would love to have one. All my equipment is hob. Ugly but it is all working. I don't use carbon but I do run bio active pearls and I have one of those programable aquatic life ho T5 fixtures with the blue leds. I like it for now. I also have a stunner strip which looks awesome but I burnt a coral so I quit using it.
My first question is I have added h2o2 yesterday to get rid of my dinoflagellates. I read here yesterday to addd 1 ml per10 gal so I did that. The dino has allready halved so yay! Do I add it every day until it is gone or do I just add it once?
Does any one have a suggestion for more fish? I like a peacefull tank.

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm also from illinois from by peoria there are a couple of nice stores are both a drive for you but worth it! One is reefwise in lisle by chicago and the other one that is close to me is aquarium obsession in bartonville Both very helpful and full of goodies

OP
OP
chickofthesea

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip 9balliw we do go over to bass pro once in a while in Peoria. Now i have another excuce to take a day trip. Maybe we could go today. The weather isn't half bad and gas is cheep. Sounds like a plan.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also from central Illinois. Welcome!
Sent you a pm on local reefing.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome38gk-1_zps14a8f2ea.gif

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Glad to see more tristate reefers! I live in Dubuque iowa, there isn't a single lfs around here unless u wanna make a drive, so I find all my info on this site, everyone has been great help.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! I am originally from Peoria. How is the reefing scene down in that area? I get back there to visit family pretty often but never venture out to any lfs.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Obsessions is the place! Corals, fish, equipment, special orders. Worth the trip. Was in there today and met a guy from 1.5 hours away!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back