New guy (kind of)

Kryshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've been a member here for the last few years, though I never posted until yesterday and I was encouraged to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Mat and I'm a high school science teacher, currently teaching biology, earth science and astronomy though next year I'll switch up to zoology, biology, AP biology and Earth science. I'm a huge reef enthusiast with a tiny budget and have taken the last four years or so to build myself up to a tank that I'm beginning to be happy with. I have a 125 gallon tank at home with a 20 gallon sump with a variety of soft corals, zoanthids, mushrooms, a few LPS and one red monti cap. Not a lot of fish though, a pair of oscillarus clowns, flame angel yellow tang, green mandarin, lawnmower blennie, and a bengai cardinal. I also have a 50 gallon set up in my classroom with a 20 gallon "show" sump. That system only has a pair of clarkii clowns and one yellow tailed damsel - the coral in that tank just consists of a few small frags from some of the ones I have at home. I've enjoyed lurking on this page, and the accompanying facebook page and will likely post more in the future. I tried reefcentral when I first began in the hobby and were met by some rather rude and outspoken folks which is why I've shied away from posting so far. Thanks for the warm welcome so far!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting Mat and thank you for being a teacher! Post some pics of your set ups!

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to see some pics of your tanks there are a lot of friendly helpful ppl on here

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Would love to see some
Pictures as well. Your students are lucky, I would have loved to have a tank in my room in school.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :wave:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. Thank you for teaching the next generation about saltwater aquariums! Welcome aboard!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You will find folks here very friendly. I had a similar experience on RC when I wasn't Internet or forum savvy. I only lurched for months after that but folks here are wonderful.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* Once again it is so nice of you to keep a aquarium in your classroom.All schools should have at least one,IMO.
DSCF6388_zpsb0b33bb_edit_1421119222246.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back