Starting over

Outlaw481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm working on getting a new tank setup in the next few months. I had a couple of tanks nearly 10 years ago, and wow a lot has changed since then!

Because of the horrible structural design of our current home, I'm going to limit the tank to a 125 for now, and will have to support the floor from the basement to do this I believe.

I guess the big question I have for right now is whats the best in test kits right now that will test the full spectrum so I don't buy a bunch of different test kits again? The other thing I'm looking at is I really want to go with a controller, either the Apex or Archon, as soon as I figure it all out. Anything I should keep in mind when buying pumps and lights? I'd really like to control it all centrally when its all said and done.

Thanks!!
Shawn

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby!! For test kits I prefer the Red Sea pro kits personally. When it comes to lighting it's going to be personal preference, I like the look of t5's while others like the look of LED more. Look at some tanks you like and see what lighting they are running. Also take into account what kind of corals you want to do and make sure you will have enough lighting for them. For pumps, if you don't have too much head, look into the dc pumps. They are very efficient and run very quiet. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Outlaw481

Outlaw481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My last tank ran 250w MH. I was shocked to see what's being grown under T5's now!. I'm probably going to run the sump under the tank immediately, but plan to have it plumbed into the basement by summer. Of course, plans change... I'm seeing so many things...like the power heads outside the tank and the new controllers, I'm just overwhelmed. I'm really trying to plan this around having a controller, but its just way over my head at the moment and there's no where I know of locally (NE PA) to see any of them. Just keep reading a few hours a day...

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I agree with Kschweer. Really take a look at how some of the people around here have their tanks set up and how you like the look of them. I personally love the timing integration of LEDs and the shimmer, but I have found growth to best under a combination of both. I have heard a lot of of good things about Apex controllers, but I do not have any experience with them. Make sure you start a tank thread to post your build progress and congrats on starting up a new tank!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef!* I use Red Sea magnesium test and API for all the other basics.As far as equipment goes I usually shop on a budget.When considering lights you may want to factor in the cost and availability of replacement bulbs if applicable.
DSCF8242_zps5797234_edit_1424182792330.jpg

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome I am new here too and am amazed! You came to the right place the amount of help is insane. Good luck on the tank and I can't wait to see it set up in the future!

OP
OP
Outlaw481

Outlaw481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's getting there. Taking my time this go around. Redoing the sump this weekend and then hopefully next week I'll be making water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back