Where Can I Get A Tank Drilled?

BadBlood Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post. I've been doing freshwater tanks for a few years and I'm working on getting a 55 gallon reef tank put together. So far I think I know what I need to do and how to get everything going. At this point I have the tank I want and I just finished resealing it. I just need to find a place where I can get it drilled for the filter intake and outtake. Does anyone know a place?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You can try asking an lfs in your area. Some will drill tanks others do not. It's really much easier than it seems to do yourself. The bits can be found fairly cheap. Also if you haven't settled on an overflow box yet you can check out the gl*******s overflows. You can order everything you need from them including the correct bit.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! One thing to check before drilling is if the glass is tempered.

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You can try asking an lfs in your area. Some will drill tanks others do not. It's really much easier than it seems to do yourself. The bits can be found fairly cheap. Also if you haven't settled on an overflow box yet you can check out the gl*******s overflows. You can order everything you need from them including the correct bit.
what kind of overflows?

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most 55s are tempered and can't be drilled. I've heard glass-holes are loud. I bought a ghost overflow from modular marine on ebay and it is silent takes up very little space in tank.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most bigger tanks have the bottom glass tempered but the back and side panels are not. You should check with manufacturer to be sure.

My Glass-Holes kit was pretty loud at first but like they advertised after a couple months the piping built up a film and now its pretty silent.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, if tempered glass is used in tank construction, most likely it will be the bottom panel that is tempered. For peace of mind before you drill, browse YouTube for a few videos on how you can tell if aquarium glass is tempered.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;ggwpF1QfgAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggwpF1QfgAw[/video]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back