New to R2R - Raleigh, NC - IM 40G going up on 4/3/15

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Adam here. I'm new to R2R, but used to float around nano-reef and reefcentral about 7 years ago when I had a 30G cube in my apartment. In a house now, and after stopping by an LFS recently, my wife really wanted us to setup a tank. Starting back up with an IM Fusion 40G, and trying out the LED route with an Ai Prime. I didn't have great water control in my old tank, I was on the 3rd floor in an apartment and used tap water for topoff and changes (shame). But an LFS opened up literally across the street that sells salt water and RO water, so there's no excuse :) Looking forward to learning new things, and trying some more difficult corals this time around!

Old 30G:

66046842_52f17b5d6e_o.jpg

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! Lets see more tank shots!

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Shep: That shot is of my old tank from 10 yrs ago, my new one is still being shipped, and will be put together this weekend.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on your new build.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 260

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
@Shep: That shot is of my old tank from 10 yrs ago, my new one is still being shipped, and will be put together this weekend.
Awesome! What is the new tank going to be?

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! What is the new tank going to be?

IM Fusion Mini 40G, Ghost midsize, Ai Prime (1 now, perhaps a second when I'm ready for SPS), IM reactor, LPS, SPS, a few softies, inverts, and a couple fish to keep the wife happy :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice size tank, any thoughts on what kind of fish?

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Adam

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to R2R. I have the same tank actually. You might want to upgrade your light though. Also, if you want to keep some of those sps I would definelty get a slimmer. Don't bother with the innovative marine one, I am using cadlights skimmer and it's much better than innovative. Sorry for the suggestions immediately, I went through all of this with my tank. Now I'm running it as an sps tank.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool I am Raleigh too and likely going to get the same tank for my office. Look forward to following your progress!

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome to R2R. I have the same tank actually. You might want to upgrade your light though. Also, if you want to keep some of those sps I would definelty get a slimmer. Don't bother with the innovative marine one, I am using cadlights skimmer and it's much better than innovative. Sorry for the suggestions immediately, I went through all of this with my tank. Now I'm running it as an sps tank.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a second light would supply enough light for SPS? I still have my old 250w Aqua Medic MH, but I really want to try LED lights, and I love how the Primes have built in WiFi comms and full spectrum controls through the app.

What size IM skimmer did you try? I have the medium one on order. I went for the IM one because I know that in the mini 40, it won't be visible and is quiet. What makes the Cadlights one better?

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a nice size tank, any thoughts on what kind of fish?

Whatever is reef safe and makes the wife happy :) The fish and inverts are more for her, and the corals are for me. But after I showed her some of the ones that Aqua SD puts up on the weekend sales, she's starting to get more interested in them.

OP
OP
B

BWSR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool I am Raleigh too and likely going to get the same tank for my office. Look forward to following your progress!

Awesome! I have only seen someone with a small beta tank at our office. I'd love to have a 40g where I work :)

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winston Salem here. If your near Greensboro check out Triad Reef Critters. Good bunch of guys and gals there and they try to stay stocked with good stuff.

Gk5321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Do you think a second light would supply enough light for SPS? I still have my old 250w Aqua Medic MH, but I really want to try LED lights, and I love how the Primes have built in WiFi comms and full spectrum controls through the app.

What size IM skimmer did you try? I have the medium one on order. I went for the IM one because I know that in the mini 40, it won't be visible and is quiet. What makes the Cadlights one better?

I don't even think my light is enough for sps, but then again I think it depends on the coral. I'm going to get a radion xr30 pro for my tank sometime soon (even though I should get a mh/t5 fixture), but for now I have the maxspect razor 120 w. I personally don't think one AI prime is good enough, maybe add a second or third one. I think the AI prime is only supposed to cover 18 x 18 or something like that.

As far as the skimmer goes maybe I didnt wait long enough with mine. I got the same size one as you by the way. From what I rember the skimmer itself wasn't loud but when you put it in the chamber it's supposed to be in, it blocks the water flow which then makes a dripping/rushing water noise. The cadlights I got is pretty good, it had some micro bubbles at first but then stopped. The only annoying thing about the cadlights one is that it is very sensitive to adjustment. I think its a better skimmer overall and I belive it's overrated for this tank size. Maybe you'll have better luck with yours, but keep me updated. Ps AI will probably be coming out with that same wifi thing for all their lights. I would just leave yours for a couple of months while the tank settles.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back