First post here - Coral Reef Keeper from Ft. Lauderdale

Stealth777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I just registered tonight, after hearing about the website from a very nice couple in Hollywood, Fl (Matt & Rebecca) that were breaking down their reef ahead of a move they had to make. I purchased some zoanthid frags from them, and they are doing well in my setup.

A bit about my small reef:

I have a 24 gallon aquapod (fully custom modified by me) - hood removed/replaced with a 150watt XM Metal Halide 15,000k - and a recent addition of a 12w panorama LED module (actinic) by Ecoxotic bolted to my Sunpod. My tank also has a media basket by "InTank" that sits in the modified rear filtration compartment (i highly recommend one for those of you wishing to increase the surface area of your filter. There's 3 huge chambers in there to put all kinds of media).

The modifications I've done to the aquapod are extensive and it looks nothing like the original. Im available for questions on how i did the entire build/mod on it and can pretty much troubleshoot any type of issue you may be having on your current mod. J ust shoot me some photos of what your trying to accomplish, and I'll probably have a workaround for you.

For water circulation, I'm running a MaxiJet 1200 back there thru 2 returns (drilled bulkheads thru the back plastic wall), and a Koralia 750 in the main aquarium to add some nice current to my acro's and other SPS. I also have a small but growing collection of zoa's and paly's, and am looking to add more - with the hopes of propagating larger colonies in a grow out tank, then redistributing them back to the hobby so as to offset the thievery in our worlds oceans.

I'm interested in expanding my knowledge of coral propagation, and hope to trade/sell and more importantly SHARE anything I can with the forum.

I'm in the west Ft. Lauderdale, Florida area, so if anyone is interested in meeting up to check out our tanks, trade or sell frags, travel to some LFS's or trade shows - or just shoot the breeze over some drinks - hit me up here.

Last edited:

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I live in Weston and am good friends with Rebecca and Matt. I've got my main tank torn apart as I'm redoing it, but have everything in my little 29 and frag tank. If you wanna stop by, just lemme know!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef 2 reef!

Sounds like you have a neat tank setup. Do you have any pictures of it?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, where are the pics? JK. For propagating just cut'em and stick'em(with super glue). There are a few tricks but for the most part its pretty easy.

OP
OP
Stealth777

Stealth777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have tons of photos on the build and how it looks now, but i dont know how to post photos on here, or if this is the forum to post them on. I can take some recent ones later tonight and resize/post them on here.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I have an aquapod with a sunpod light too. It's a nice tank and it sounds like you found some good ways to improve the flow. I will have to check out the mediabasket. Mine is dedicated to maxi-minis!

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow you are a serious "do it yourself" (DIY) type of guy. dont see many people start this hobby with modifying their tanks that extreme. Welcome to R2R. pix plz

OP
OP
Stealth777

Stealth777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to post photos , but getting error messages. I reduced the size of each to like 50kb but it wont let me upload more than 5 ? How can i upload these so you can see them?

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 168
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 178

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. It seems like most people in this hobby are handy and like to tinler with their equipment. Try using photobucket for your pics and load them onto this site.

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to reef2reef!
sounds like you have a good set up going on. pictures look good, i been thinking about setting up a nano tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back