My 140 Gallon Build

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after much research and discussion with my wife we have decided to take the plunge and start a salt water tank. Due to work, weather, and waiting for parts it's been several weeks of slow going but last night I finally had some time to get everything hooked up. Plan to get most of the rockwork done tonight and tomorrow, filled with water by the weekend, and hopefully ready for a trip to "That Fish Place" to see what kind of live rock they have. I wanted to throw a question out here. I'm torn between doing only dry rock, or doing mostly dry rock and getting a small amount of live to start the cycle. Also I have my sand already but am debating on getting some live sand to seed it. Any help would be appreciated.

Tank is a 140 Gallon half cylinder from Aquavim, stand and canopy came unfinished as per my wife's request. She stained and poly'd them (canopy will be done in a day or 2). Trigger Systems Ruby Sump, middle will be a refug, reef octo protein skimmer, mag drive 12 return pump, and kolalia powerheads and smartwave. Using Maxspect Razor for lighting.

Some pics

Delivery
delivery.jpg

Unfinished stand
stand.jpg

Tank in the crate
crate.jpg

Ready for rock and water
tank.jpg

Under the tank
below.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build!! I love the shape of the tank. I would recommend that when you add the rock to place directly on the glass (on top of egg crate would be good as well) and not on top of the sand. It will help prevent landslides. If the sand shifts, it can cause the rock work to shift with it. I would use mostly dry rock and seed it with some live rock. This will help to reduce the amount of unwanted hitchhikers from being introduced to the tank. I would also get a cup or two of true live sand (not the bag stuff on the shelf) and seed the system with this.

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off to a good start. What are you going with for lighting? I would go with dry rock and sand its much cheaper and will eventually become live. Also going with dry eliminates the risk of unwanted hitchikers.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I only turned on the maxspect to verify it was working but couldn't believe how bright it was. I'm running a single 27" 16k. I was going to get 2 20" but they just don't fit due to the curve of the half cylinder.

One more question, is it a good idea to do opposing photo periods for the tank and refug? My plan was to light the refug at night and the tank during the day.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 3 hours of my wife and I going back and forth trying different setups this is what we've decided on for now. I'm more minimalist and she would like a little more so we tried to compromise. Hopefully water will be going in tonight!

rock3.jpg

Tangmaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna look nice once you done setting up , I myself have aquavim tank and love it , I am tagging along for this one.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangmanaic can I ask which type do you have? Oceanview,Moonview? Also what shape did you get?

I'm mixing salt water right now, hoping to have it filled by the weekend, my 75 gpd filter is getting a workout! One other question, once I get it filled and start the cycle should I run the protein skimmer or isn't there really a need to?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonathan! I'm so glad you made this build thread! Looks like you are putting together your tank like a pro, love the tank and the foot print, looking forward to seeing more!

On the skimmer, you really don't want to turn the skimmer on in the beginning of the cycle because you want bacteria to fix all the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate thus increasing their populations within your LR and your sand. Turning on the skimmer will remove some of the organics that would help increase these levels so leave it off until you begin stocking livestock or at least until your ammonia and nitrite levels reach 0 and do not fluctuate anymore.

Congrats on the tank and looking forward to your tank build!

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice tank following along. as far as a stock list what are your plans

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on taking the plunge. Your wife did a nice job on finishing the stand.. looks great!

Looking forward to following the progress!

Tangmaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangmanaic can I ask which type do you have? Oceanview,Moonview? Also what shape did you get?

I'm mixing salt water right now, hoping to have it filled by the weekend, my 75 gpd filter is getting a workout! One other question, once I get it filled and start the cycle should I run the protein skimmer or isn't there really a need to?
Hi I have a 93Gal seamless one , I used have 55Gal standard tank then came across this tank and love the look of it and desired to upgrade right away so I jus transfered all corals and fish to a new tank and kept filtration of my previous tank only changed the skimmer . Here is few shots of my tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 469
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 456
OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank, I was looking at a 200 Gallon bowfront but my wife didn't like the stand color. I got the first 40 gallons in last night and the RO/Di unit is working overtime today!

As for stock, I'm not sure yet. I'd like a community tank, but haven't really sat down to make a list.

Another question about a CUC, when is it time for them and any sugestions? I've heard good and bad about hermits and also curious about snails. I'm going for a DSB and I'm concerned that some of the CUC will consume beneficial inhabitants of the DSB.

Tangmaniac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CUC consist of a lot different snails only ,I used to have hermit crabs but desided to go without them with this tank , if you notice in pictures I also went BB this time and I loving it so far ,no detritus gets trapped anywhere on the bottom,ohh by the way my new tank only running for 7 months .

OP
OP
J

Jonathan G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got all the water in the tank, and have added 4 lbs of live rock. I'm thinking that may not be enough to start my cycle so I may be grabbing 2 or 3 shrimp later this week to get it started. How long should it take from the time I add the live rock till I start seeing the ammonia spike. I'm looking for a 3 to 4 ppm spike in ammonia to start the cycle correct?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back