Chris' algae farm (ELOS 160)

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread great pics your kingator's hero :tongue:and whenever I get into sps you'll be my hero too :bigsmile:. Has this tank always been lit by radions or did u use any other lights
lolol u funny lolol

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best shot I've ever seen. I thought it was painted.

elos-141.jpg

normanqt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the thread. This tank is truly inspiring! It is great to know what is possible. I am pretty new to the hobby and my favorite part is the artistic creativity that it requires. I am a huge fan of simplicity and this tank epitomizes what someday I hope to create. Thanks again!

Tiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did al the pics go ;/

Saw this awesome tank on r2r mail, but can't see any pic at all :(

Tiggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

This tank is just awesome.

Just a few questions; how do you keep that sand so clean? I think I used Fuji pink bforebut it was blown all over te tank.

Second question is is you dose anything to keep everything so good looking?

When are you planning thip th tank overseas to Belgium lol :D

reef_collector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an amazing tank, super clean and well built. I dream of having a tank like yours someday.
Keep up the good work sir.

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread great pics your kingator's hero :tongue:and whenever I get into sps you'll be my hero too :bigsmile:. Has this tank always been lit by radions or did u use any other lights

Well when you get into sps, you'll have to change that username. :) Always lit with Radions. Radion G2 originally and now Radion G3.

Where did al the pics go ;/ Saw this awesome tank on r2r mail, but can't see any pic at all :(

Sorry, sometimes when the thread gets a lot of activity my hosting account at GoDaddy gets crappy. I'll have to give Danica Patrick a call about this.

Hi,

This tank is just awesome.

Just a few questions; how do you keep that sand so clean? I think I used Fuji pink bforebut it was blown all over te tank.

Second question is is you dose anything to keep everything so good looking?

When are you planning thip th tank overseas to Belgium lol :D

Lots of flow and the occasional surface siphon. Fiji Pink will move around a little but the powerheads are high enough to prevent it from moving too much. There are a couple areas in the tank where things settle and I do have to stir things up manually every once in awhile.

As far as dosing, I just use 2-part daily and a small assortment of Zeovit additives.

sweetride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow very nice tank! am definitely hooked! Can't wait for the next set of updates!

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: how do you clean the back and side glass of the aquarium?

I used a magnet cleaner for about a week and noticed that it had created a few small scratches so I got rid of it. Now, I exclusively use the Continuum Aquablade Scrapers with acrylic-safe blades. The longer versions are nice for cleaning the back glass since you can do the whole back panel standing beside the aquarium.

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a magnet cleaner for about a week and noticed that it had created a few small scratches so I got rid of it. Now, I exclusively use the Continuum Aquablade Scrapers with acrylic-safe blades. The longer versions are nice for cleaning the back glass since you can do the whole back panel standing beside the aquarium.

Thank you for the quick replies, I'll look into those scrapers.
Other questions:

1: With an open top, do any fish jump out ever?

2: With so many anthias, how do you manage to feed them frequently throughout the day?

3: Any salt creep on the walls?

4: like to see more of your sump. Where do you keep your cal reactor, GFO etc, controllers?

Again, one of the best DT I've seen. Gorgeous! Why are you not totm? Or am I missing something, I know you were in a magazine.

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick replies, I'll look into those scrapers.
Other questions:

1: With an open top, do any fish jump out ever?
Yeah I've had a few jumpers, unfortunately. After losing one of my purple queens, I started placing a screen on top when I leave for work. I've never seen a screen that I didn't consider to be an eyesore and mine is no exception, but I figure if I'm not around to see it then I may as well; it's a dumb reason to lose a fish.

2: With so many anthias, how do you manage to feed them frequently throughout the day?
The number of anthias don't really pose a problem, per se. I'm usually around enough to feed at least three times during the day. In my experience, once you've got them established and on high quality foods, they really don't need to eat as often as the rumors suggest. I will use an auto feeder if I know I'll be away for the weekend.

3: Any salt creep on the walls?
It's pretty minimal on the walls, but I do wipe them down every couple of months. It's probably more from me working in the tank than anything.

4: like to see more of your sump. Where do you keep your cal reactor, GFO etc, controllers?

I don't use a calcium reactor; just doing 2-part right now until it gets too expensive. Here are photos of the left and right sides of the cabinet (dosing pumps mounted are in the upper left corner)

elos-106.jpg

Zoom

elos-165.jpg

Zoom

Again, one of the best DT I've seen. Gorgeous! Why are you not totm? Or am I missing something, I know you were in a magazine.

Thanks! I haven't had tank of the month yet, maybe some day ;)

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, DUDE :faint2:!! Why do you continue to post these pics.....I cannot stop looking at them!! Everything you've done is just absolutley jaw dropping. Awesome man.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back