Justin's New Baby

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
450-new.jpg
I picked up this gem out of a back yard in a small little country town in Alabama. Paid an unbelievable 250 dollars for it! Got it about 2 weeks ago now. I've been buffing out a few scratches and bad spots In the top. And there is a minor crack in the top. I should have my acrylic cement here in the next few days. I'm close to finalizing my stand but I'm waiting on a friend of mine who used to own a pet store to come back in town to show me some acrylic sumps he still had from the shop. Once I get that solved I'll finish mocking up my 3D model rendering of my stand and sump system and post them. This setup will replace my now fully stocked 80 gallon setup.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude that is a killer deal because the tank looks awesome! Do you have any before photos?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and how big is it?

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions on that bad boy? How did you manage to transport that tank back to your house?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

warhorseart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Can't wait to see it stocked

Stephanie

LisaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along to watch this build!!! Noticed you're in Killen... I graduated from Brooks. Are you a native?

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensions

It's 10' x 2 1/2' x 2 1/2'

Unfortunately i didn't think to take before pics but to be honest it was in really good shape other than a crack in the top and a spot where something ate away at the top in a spot about the size of my hand. Ive got bonding stuff and cement in the mail as we speak. Ill get that injected into the crack as soon as it gets here. And then I'm going to create a band-aid to bond both above and below the crack, even though i don't feel it needs it. Ive stress tested it already for leaks and weakness due to the crack but as i suspected since acrylic tanks are fully bonded around the top it didn't really make much of an impact, so bonding back together should fix it completely, but I'm alway on the side of cautious. So again since it is on the top no one would ever see any more than about an inch of it.

I can post before and after of the one really bad spot. I spent an afternoon using 40, 80, 100, 120, 320, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and then finally 3000 grit sand paper on it followed by rubbing compound. Albeit it has a little wave to it but going from white and terrible looking to 98% clear on a fist size spot that is right next to one of the overflow weirs isn't to bad. It was more about light coming through than anything else since eventually it'll be inside a canopy.

I borrowed my father-in-laws truck and trailer (16') and my brother-in-law who is a trooper, and my best friend who is a MMA fighter and we picked it up and wrestled it onto the trailer. At the house I backed it within 4" of the door into the reef room in my basement. So we slid it off and on to my custom furniture dollies.

From there i built some wooden jacks and with my sons help, ( i pick it up, he slides the jack to the next notch) got it up and off the floor enough that i can now get hydraulic jacks under it to get it up when I'm ready.

No I'm not native here, but my father-in-law used to be the mayor, my mother-in-law was kindergarten teacher and now guidance counselor at the elementary. My wife and her twin graduated from brooks in 95 or 96. So odds are you know "of" may extended family probably.

The biggest tank I've ever had in my house was a 210 gallon Tanganyikan tank, and a 150 gallon discus tank. I used to bred high end cichlids as a 2nd job. And at one point i had over 100 aquariums going in my old house. So having done that in the past and dealing with extreme water chemistry to cause breeding i figured i would be able to do salt water reefing.

I got into reefing about two years ago after about twenty years of just about everything fresh. And i've had great success, I've upgraded from 40 to 75 and now my corals are so over grown again that i need to get this up and running soon. But I'm going to plan this out the right way. Even if i don't have all my gadgets and features at the start i want to "stub" everything in that i will need to do easy upgrades and not have to destroy everything in the process.

I think that answers everyones questions and glad to meet you all!

Im extremely looking forward to hearing anything that those of you with 200+ tanks can pass along to me for pointers, do's don't, etc. I'm currently trying to finalize my sump design. This will give me a better idea of space needed and thusly allow me to finalize my stand design. Which ill post the prelim 3D renderings tomorrow.

I have a good friend who closed down a pet store (pets plus) if you remember on Hwy 72 in florence, anyway he is coming into town this weekend and i should be able to get some old acrylic sumps for a deal. My current thinking is since i want this to be a 360° setup, i want dual sumps turned into refugiums under each of the overflow weirs. Then those spill off into a central utility sump for the equipment. Then on the facade of the stand i want doors to each of the fugis both the left and right one on both the front and back side of the stand. Each of these doors im thinking of making the centers hollow and then making them look like shadow boxes that sit up flush to the fugi sides and then stocking those with non reef animals.

So minus the 3/4 inch acrylic little lost space from the overflows it's looking to be around 400 gallons, and then ill probably have another 50 displaced from LR and sand. So 350, but another 60 to 80 below brining the total back up to 410 ish of actual water flowing thus making it possible to stock some cool stuff down below.

But I really want to hear everyones idea of a dream sumpage unit, one caveat is it HAS to go below, this is in a full basement on a concrete slab that was designed for tornado shelter so it can hold up the 5000ish lbs that this setup will run. I can run some pipes up into the ceiling and across. I bought this house specifically for the basement to do a monster reef in this year. I plan on doing some cool things with top off and easy water changes, but more on that later.

So that in a nut shell is where I'm at!

LisaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm not native here, but my father-in-law used to be the mayor, my mother-in-law was kindergarten teacher and now guidance counselor at the elementary. My wife and her twin graduated from brooks in 95 or 96. So odds are you know "of" may extended family probably.

Ok... Yeah I probably do know them. She's s but younger than me, I graduated in 89. But my mom was the secretary at the High School. Ask her if she remembers Mrs Downs ;)

And yes, I remember Pets Plus well. Let me know if he has any other sumps that you aren't interested in. I'm setting up a sump for a 75 soon and probably upgrading the one on my 55 to a 20.

OP
OP
J

jleoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Band-aids

So I took some scrap 1/4" acrylic and cut out basic rectangles 4x8". Then using a dry erase marker and my clamps traced the area I needed to remove for the big access hole.

image.jpg

The crack

Various stages of wet sanding from 320 to 3000 grit.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back