40 Gallon Custom LifeReef

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little late in starting this thread so I will start it with a little photo montage. Equipment below:

- Custom LifeReef 40 Gallon Acrylic (All-In-One) by design 49 if you include the back pack sump.
- Custom LifeReef Acrylic bracket for supporting Radion Pro LED lamp
- LifeReef SVS2-24 Skimmer
- LifeReef Electronic ATO Float Switch
- LifeReef Calcium Reactor (to be installed soon)
- Radion XR30w Pro (Peak intensity 60% midday)
- MP10w Vortech Wavemaker
- Mag Drive 9.5 Pump for the skimmer
- Mag Drive 7 Pump for sump return

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, thats true. I have been using LifeReef products for a long time, I wish I had in the very beginning. I was using so much LR equipment I figured why not just have Jeff build the tank too and have it all-in-one!! :)

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if Jeff would do it or not. This was the 3rd project I had consulted with him on with the other two being sumps for different tanks. I made a drawing of the all-in-one set up I was trying to achieve and he made it happen!! (Along with some amazing modification of his own) The mount for the Radio Light just brings the whole thing together IMO.

You just don't know until you ask :)

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. Looks like Jeff could have a great future with the all-in-one tanks. Nice setup and great design. JP

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be if you had it modified to control the water level a little differently (No problem for Jeff at LifeReef). The way I have it set up the largest compartment in the middle was designed for the skimmer which takes up almost all the space. These are pictures I received right after it was built. Kind of hard to get good pictures of the back now...

PICT1954.jpg
PICT1959.jpg
PICT1984.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon

As my aquarium enters the fourth month in operation, overall I am very pleased. Water quality is excellent along with the health of all the animals with zero loss. The only thing that is troubling me is the lack of coloration in my corals that otherwise show great polyp extension and growth. Fish books, magazines, and blogs have differing opinions on what is required to achieve good coloration in SPS corals. These factors include high water quality, quality consistency, accurate lighting spectrum and food. The last item seems to be where there is some controversy with opinions such as feeding your corals is either not required, fish poop is enough, and direct feeding is necessary to keep your animals healthy. I am convinced that I have met all of these requirements except intentional feeding of my SPS corals.

In previous tanks I have used Selcon as a food additive and direct feeding measure for filter feeding invertebrates with what appeared to be successful results. It was hard to say whether or not Selcon was the main factor in that success or a coincidence since the fish population was much higher in those larger tanks. Since I do not wish to add additional fish to my small tank at risk of higher nutrients I have decided to test and potential prove Selcon can be used successfully to target feed SPS corals.

Test Subject Photos From 10.21.13
Trial 1 10.21.13.jpg
Trial 2 10.21.13.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So following up from my last post, growth in the SPS corals has been visibly obvious over the last several months but the colors are just not there. Below are my updated water tests results from AquariumWaterTesting.com and I just made changes to my Radion Pro settings (decreased intensity and more blues). Any recommendations or advice to help make these bad boys pop would be appreciated.

AWT Results 11.15.13.jpg
Comparison.jpg
Radion Schedule 11.18.13.jpg

OP
OP
watdachuck

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Beradd!! Still working on dialing in the Radio Pro even after 6 months. I am convinced a change the color output will help with the SPS colors if I can just get it right. Below are the latest changes I made today:

Radion Schedule - Color 12.23.13.jpg

Radion Schedule 12.23.13.jpg

Softies 12.23.13.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back