~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here is an abbreviated version of my combined original build threads. After downsizing to a single 50g 'Softy Tank' for 10+ years while running my business (60-90hr/week) I started the transition of going back to a larger SPS dominate system again. My lil 50g came apart litterally during a heatwave which I was not present. Temporary upgrade by purchasing a 75g off CL and the start of adding to the Stony Coral collection. A year later purchased a used 125g with unusual dimensions 60"x24"x20" and started a year long process of getting it wet.

Just after receiving it along with a beat up 75g to use as sump/fuge

Cleaned and polished it up, removed the old Closed-Loop and patched holes

Onto modifying the 75g into a usuable Fuge/sump of my design by first cutting it down 3"

Glueing top back on and modifying access holes

Then by redoing bulkheads and fabricating some needed parts for plumbing drains and a filter sock

For my return section off large refugium a screened off cryptic zone for Sponges and Tunicates

To be continued. Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next and very long project of designing and build my Cherry Stand. I had some beautiful left over solid Cherry inset doors from a job and figured a way to make best usage of them and have a stand with great access to beat.
plans and milling up solid stock

Doors and the start of framework

Basic structure assembled

Beading detail around doors and panels

Mortises for inset doors and doors in place

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more detail on base construction. If properly assembled 1x3 or better hardwood is more structurally stable than hem/fir/pine 2x4's and definitely more aesthetic. So illustrated below is how I assembled the base structure.
prepping framing with a pocket jig

after assembly

filling with plugs

Detail of using countersunk neo-magnets for door/panel closure

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removable back and top construction

Mostly assembled

and now applying multiple coats of Marine Varnish

Finally inside the house

And then another long delay to get the whole room redone with a heated tile floor

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did initial plumbing of the sump while flooring decisions were being settled, went with a 'Herbie' style drain in 1-1/2" with 3/4" emergencies

also a cutout access panel for the LED drivers to keep them on the dry side

Then the return up to a 3/4" SeaSwirl and excess pressure nozzle

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiling work underway and will have to setup the 125g before breaking down the 75g across the room

Tile work completed grouted and sealed where the 125g is going so brought the tank back inside and installed supports/uprights for LED framework

Here are my plans and construction of LED array going back to 2010. I designed this as six front-to-back linear circuits being controlled with my Apex to give a true East to West lighting schedule ie: 1st Easterly circuit comes on at 7:45 starting out at 8% and twenty minutes of ramping up to 70% followed by 2nd circuit starting at 8:05 and so on.... then ramping down in same order. I also have a 7th circuit spread evenly and is my Noonday which is comprised of 12 6500K White XML chips.

pre-welded framework/heatsink on jig

all welded up and being cleaned

test fit before glueing down any LED's

applying and soldering emitters into circuits with good friend Floyd til the wee hours

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED assembly continued, testing each of the circuits

noonday

Only one real mistake in original assembly getting a couple reds mixed up while doing all the tinning so ended up with 2 reds on either end instead of spread out across length. Eventually replaced two of them along with a couple whites with four Violet emitters.

Prepped all components with quick-disconnects and double heat shrinks on hard wired connections

Also for practice before hand made a quick DIY fuge light which worked out a few kinks in my plan

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a lot of this work was going on I still had the 75g running as well as a 50g QT full of Hawaiian fish that I collected with my friend Les and brought back from Honolulu. To be able to complete the tile flooring job I needed to get everything from the 75g into the 125g then broken down and out of the way. I replaced the original Iwaki (950gph) with a Pan World rated at 1270gph causing a remake of the manifold.

also made a needed probe holder plus a couple for friends

and finally added some water

after warmed up and slated to taste I then started to aquascape with temporary lighting for corals

and finally some fish added

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial aquascaping was done 12/24/11 and finally had the LED's over tank on 1/15/12 and started dialing in the programming on the Apex

All six circuits on at 50% I think ???

Just the Noonday circuit at 70%

1st circuit only ramping up while blizzarding outside

1st on and 2nd ramping up

and ramping down in the evening

Nice group shot of Fish and corals before disaster

To be continued.... Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disaster as follows from original build thread posted 2-12-12:

Well... I have not posted any updates for awhile, and for good reason.... been fighting a loosing battle with ICH in the DT. I had parasites (in dormancy) in the 75g and knew about it since every now and then would have very small short duration outbreaks like when I went away for few days or more and left feeding up to myteenager ( apperantly they don't appreciate Breakfast at 3-pm) So anyway, tried my best at building everyones imunity levels up with vitamins etc. before introducing Hawaiian livestock with existing into the new 125g system. Unfortunately the ICH manifested itself onto both B-flys and Powder Blue in short order leaving me with a majorly frustating decision to either break back down the just setup system or try some type of Reef-Safe snake-oil. (1st BIG MISTAKE) I ASSUMED... since historically the Powder Blue and Kole Tangs had recovered quickly from past outbreaks that indeed they would again. After spending much time reading up on so-called Reef-Safe herbal meds decided to give Stop-Parasite a go... NOT A CURE!... but do give some credit to probably keeping from having a complete Ich crash. Though put into a much larger cleaner system the added stressers and introduction of Hawaiian fishes was more than most of the fish could handle and over past week+ ended up losing my Longnose & Kleinii B-fly's and Bicolor Blenny I've had for many years
rip.gif
cry.gif
The Powder Blue is a beast
boxing.gif
as has looked like HELL for about 10 days but acts like nothing much is wrong. Fisher Angel, Naso, Blochi and Kole Tangs just started showing signs a couple days ago and all but the Kole seem otherwise healthy. Bangaii's, Anthias and Gobies all seem to be completely unafected.

On Friday had to make the call (THE RIGHT CALL AND ONE I SHOULD OF MADE FIRST OFF) in setting up enough QT space to handle 18 fish. The 50g was already running and holding some new Wrasses so just needed a big WC but had to completely reset the old 75g system back up by re-plumbing the 40g sump and all back into running condition. I busted my hump to get things ready for water and had my GREAT friend Jeff drive all the way down from LaConnor to help me into the wee hours in getting water made, water in, salt added then I started disassembling aquascape while Jeff ran multiple trips back and forth to microwave to get water in tank heated up to 76* and continueing to cycle buckets through ro/di unit. THANKS MAN ! It was down to just one super structure of the LR left in tank to be able to finally catch last fish... phewww... 12:30 am, time to send Jeff on his hour plus trip home. I tried to quickly redo aquascape and place corals back into system which IS NOT A EASY THING TO DO... AT ALL! Annnnnd, at 4:19 had had enough for one day
sleep.gif
and will finish re-aquascaping another day. Just finished adding 2nd/final dose of copper to both QT's and everyone looks good except for the Kole Tang this morning.

Sucks to even re-read/remember this now after all this time. below is my comments pertaining responses from others:

Thanks Guys, and yes Dave the clock starts today on 8 weeks of a Fallow System. I'll run the 15 day copper treatment then 15 at half strength before pulling it out with carbon for final 4 weeks on both QT's. All the while doing 15/30% WC's every 3-days. THEN AS I SHOULD HAVE DONE SO FROM THE GET GO WILL HAVE A 99.9% PARASITE FREE SYSTEM. I feel that all fish but the Kole are/will be just fine and have hopes that he'll make it as well. Hind-sight is such an annoying friend....

Cheers, Todd

Then finally on 4-12-12:
Well.... tomorrow will be 8 weeks going fallow... a lonnnnng lonnnnnnnnng lonnnnnnnnnng 8 weeks and now time to start adding fish back to where they belong. I will start with the four Bicolor Anthias, new Ornate Leopard Wrasse and replacement lil Kole Tang from Les that are/have been in my 50g QT followed a few days later with Fisher Angel, Tailspot Blenny and Halfspotted Goby in sump of 75g system QT. Another week and a full water test before adding Powder Blue, Blochii and Naso Tangs along with Bangaii Cardinal pair and lone Azure Damselle.
The main/DT has done fair with only a few partial coral losses from huge Hair Algae outbreak after removing the Landscape Maintenance Crew (Tangs) a few Sea Hares (also from Les) and 60 snails from the Group Buy at Red C have done a fine job ridding display of all but a bit of Bubble Algae now. Pics below of last day (today) to a Fallow System... really l.ike my Corals but, really really miss having my fish in the Display. Pics are all raw with no editing so not quite what I see.

FTS 4-12-12

left side

right side

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another copy-n-paste

OK, a quick up date.... did finally get some fish back in the system on Sunday as only finished tank maintenance on Friday and helped Jeff build his canopy on Saturday. Was really nice to sit down with a cup of coffee and a lap full of Boston Terriers this morning and watch the sunrise on my Reef with the Anthias and lil Kole Tang swimmin around, the Leopard Wrasse joined in after 3rd circuit lit up (went down for the night yesterday with the 3rd circuit turning off) Pics below similar to 4/12 shots showing minimal changes to aquascape and F-I-S-H. Once again just raw pics

FTS 4-16-12

left side 4-27-12

right side 4-27-12

canyon view 4-27-12

Back on track and feeling much better

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another copy-n-paste from 4-16-12

Add on update. On my LED's I just removed most all optics again as lightly bleached out several corals over past few weeks, originally had them all at about 60-65% w/o optics then added them to about 45 or so and reducing output to about 35%. Some corals did just fine and some not, so removed all but a few and cranked it back up to 70%. I like the overall look this way (more blended without the optics) and since my tank is only 20" deep felt it not neccessary to get required PAR/PUR. Coral growth has been phenominal so far, and before adding the optics had some outstanding colors showing. I'll bring out the real camera and shoot some pics tomorrow then again in a week or so to show changes if any.

from 4-28-12
Thanks Guys -n- Gal, I'm really happy with the way things are going now that finally past the lonnnnnng QT/Fallow period and everyone back in the DT. Did my best in squeezing all these corals together in the most compatible way my experience has taught me... crossing my fingers. Duane, I do like/prefer a crisp bluish white look in my reeftank to mimic a shallow reef though in reality my tank is bluer than these pics show. Really needed to have made it down to that Photography session at BRA last weekend and learn how to properly use the settings on my SLR camera. Most of the corals are still recovering from LED overdose when I had placed optics on the majority of them while still at 60%. Since this tank is so shallow (20") it doesn't need them and they are definitely better blended without.

and from 6-19-12
OVERDUE UPDATE; Everything, water chemistry Fish & Corals doing very well and just about to do my first waterchange since being setup...YES the 1st since 12/24/11
I do dose for cal/alk/mg regulary to keep these in balance but only utilyzing a large fuge of Macro Algaes, SWC Extreme 200 skimmer and Ozo-Tech Ozonator running minimally (on at 390 off at 420 with Apex controller) at about 25% for waste removal. Nitrates and Phosphates have been nearly undetectable since 3rd week of January, even during the Hair Algae outbreak while fallow. Coral growth has been excellent except for some of the Softies and LPS that prefer thier water a little more green. I randomly feed two frozen cubes of the following both morning and evening: Hikari Mysis, H2O Life's Reef #2, 50/50 Plus, Spirulina Brine/Mysis and one or two mid-day feedings with Newlife's Spectrum pellets mixture of macro & medium sizes. My system is very full, diverse, stable and mature, much of LR and some Corals for more than 15 years and a primary goal for this setup was to be a easily maintaned fairly automated system with minimal water changes. I still need to install a permanent ATO, a 2-part dosing system, a removeable bracket for Automatic feeder and hook up my Apex to the web for remote access/controll. Along with finally building a canopy to enclose the LED's and keep fish in, lost my Male Bicolor Anthias last week (Tile-surfing... ouch)

My average water perameters have been:

Temp = 77.4
PH = 8.18
S.G. = 1.026
Cal = 390-ish
Alk = 2.5+
Mg = 1200+-
NO2/NO3 = 0
PO4 = <0.1
ORP = 455

Current Livestock:

Powder Blue Tang 4"
Blochii Tang 4"
Naso Tang 3"
Kole Tang 2.5"
(3) Bicolor Anthias
Bangaii Cardinal pr 2"+
Ornate Leopard Wrasse 4"
Tailspot Blenny 3"
Fisheri Angel 1.75"
Kupang Damsel 1.75"
Halfspotted Goby 1.5"
(3) T. maxima 4", 4", 2"
T. crocea 3.5"
Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp pr
Banded Coral Shrimp
(3) Hawaiian Cowries 1-1.5"
(80+) mixed snails
(20+-) Hawaiian Zebra & Lefty Hermit Crabs
Hawaiian Sea Hare 1 or 2?

I'll post up new pics and or video in next couple of days.

Until then Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In June I added a small Target Mandarin and a very small Tailspot Blenny into QT hoping it would become a He for my She and the following pics from my 6 month update

FTS 6-26-12

Left side

Right side

End view

Canyon view

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from October 2012

How quickly time flies... so here is a long over-do update on the 125g. The corals under my DIY LED's have seriously overgrown their alotted spaces yet have mostly behaved. To be safe have been doing quite a bit of pruning on ones known to cause harm or be harmed. Fish are doing very well for the most part though the Powder Bue has given up his Crown to the now larger Blochi. My two Tailspot Blennies paired up and believe that they laid their first batch of eggs a few weeks back... no survivors that I know of.

FTS 10-21-12

Left side

Right side

Canyon view

End view

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 2-8-13 I did my fourth 30 gallon water change since setting it up on 12-24-11. I do not recommend this and only able to get away with it myself by having a very balanced mature system, LARGE refugium packed with a mix of Macro Algae, oversized SWC Skimmer, Phosban reactor and running Ozone. I do manual dosing for Cal/Alk/Mg as needed plus Coral-Vite.

FTS 2-12-13

Left side

Right side

Canyon view

End view

Also added a small Yellow Tang, pair of Dispar Anthias and Flame Angel to my QT

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 3-22-13 Update on Tang Collection, here is all 5 tangs hanging out... otherwise known as begging to be fed... again

plus added in the Tailspot Blenny, pair of Dispar which only the female was accepted by ruling Bicolor Anthias and female Flame Angel

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My June update
Well.... about time for an update as I've just finished a three full day partial Reef Deconstruction and rebuild. Had a couple corals continually growing out of the water and one very large/old Sarcophyton (Toadstool) catching current and pulling a 15lb rock over reeking havoc on surrounding colonies. So without further ado here is a quick point-n-shoot pic sequence of past few days.

FTS 6-11-13 very crowded

Deconstruction zone 6-12-13

FTS 6-13-13 "look at that clean sandbed will ya"

An unusual dimensioned tank I picked up to house corals while I did the rebuild 72x13x16

and of course I dropped the large M. spongodes colony and ended up with 50+ frags of....
Left side

Right side

End view

Cheers, Todd

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back