Clowninaround74's 60g cube build

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a lot of browsing and reading other tank builds, I figured I would create one here. This is my first attempt back in the hobby since getting out of it about 5 years ago due to constant moving and being in college. In the past, Ive had a 40g FOWLR predator tank, 10g mixed reef nano, and a 24g aquapod mixed reef. My goal for this is to have an SPS dominated tank with a small number of zoa's and LPS. The tank is still very new but I am achieving stability with my parameters. I have a very small fish load right now but plan to add a few more fish in the future.

Equipment:
60g Marineland Cube
Eshopps sump
Sicce 3.0 return pump
ViaAqua titanium heater
Eshopps s120 skimmer
Radion Pro with ReefKoi light rack (REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids)
2 Ecotech MP10wes
Ecotech Battery Backup
Tunze Osmolator ATO

The tank was started on October 1, 2013, and cycled for roughly a month and a half. I started with 45lbs of BRS Fiji dry rock which was pressure washed and put into the tank. I also used about 60lbs of sand. All rocks were epoxied together to provide a stable aquascape. I have had issues with rocks falling with previous tanks so I wanted to avoid that all together. CUC was added in mid December, along with 4 blue/green chromis and a fire shrimp. Corals are being added slowly and I am really trying to be selective with what I add. All corals are being dipped with Coral Rx Pro to help avoid the introduction of pests.

On to the progress photos:

The tank will be in my office at home. I painted the office and got the tank in place.

Plumbing roughed in and completed. This was my first time plumbing a tank, as I had only had AIO setup's before. I plan on adding media reactors in the future, this is the reason for the "manifold" under the tank:

Tank full of water and the aquascape complete. I wanted a lot of room in the water column for fish to swim and coral to grow. There are two main sections of rock that are connected with an archway:

P
icked up my light and mount:

ATO Mounted and reservoir plumbed into the sump.

Battery backup mounted for the MP10's. The wires were cleaned up after this photo was taken.

Lights were added to the bottom side of the tank to allow for ease of viewing the cabinet at night. These are simple LED tap lights that work perfect!

First FTS (I dont have a fancy camera so this is what my iPhone can do)

Some recent coral additions:

I cant seem to ID these zoa's. They are BRIGHT orange on the outside that seem to fade into a pink shade in the middle.

Terrible photo: starburst monti

Leprechaun Zoa's from ReefKoi

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!

Did you install the media reactors? Im thinking about running 2 reactors off a manifold also but not sure which pump to get.

OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Vic. At this point, no, I have not added a media reactor. I am looking at the BRS GFO/Carbon reactor right now. Once I get that on line, I will let you know how the flow is through the reactor and if it changed much in the DT.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! Keep us updated!! :)

OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received an order from BRS, and the media reactor was set up and is now running. Rearranged the heater controller and found a perfect spot for it. As of right now, a MJ600 is running it and not the manifold that was originally plumbed. I wanted to see how the tank responded to the carbon before hard plumbing it in. The lower flow of the MJ600 seems to give the water longer contact time with the media through the reactor. I'm happy with how it all turned out.

teje6abe.jpg

Without flash:
gyja8yqa.jpg

OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have 4 chromis and a lubbocks wrasse. Thinking about a flame wrasse or flame angel at some point.

Sorry for no recent updates. I've been adding corals and the tank is coming around. I have terrible pics that don't do the colors justice.

ygy2uza7.jpg

uguje4ep.jpg

utysa4as.jpg

sa3ubate.jpg

5a5uzu5u.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
clowninaround74

clowninaround74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took another step toward full automation. photos of the dosing box setup.

Equipment:
-Bubble Magus BM-T01 dosing pump
-dosing box and box stand from Fluid Designers... AWESOME!!
-Vertex dosing line holder
-hydor power head- being used to mix the additive as it is added to the sump

ma2u3yze.jpg

e9u7ehyp.jpg

a9u2usem.jpg

e6e2ubam.jpg

Sump overview
azuqebuv.jpg

zy4azuju.jpg

a6u5yjub.jpg

Last edited:

Glass box dreaming: What do you consider to be the most desirable brand of aquarium on the market right now?

• AquaForest

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cade

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • CDA Fish Tanks

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • JBJ Aquariums

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 24 14.0%