The Flying Turkey's New 50 Gallon Cube Build!

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I'm a new member and I'm starting my first reef aquarium. I'm starting this thread as a journal for myself, and I hope all of you enjoy it also. At the very least it can serve as a guide for other reef newbies to see how I did it, what I did right, and what I did wrong.

At first I thought I wanted a JBJ 28 gallon cube, but after doing tons of research I found that bigger is better when it comes to a reef. But being an average guy with a growing family and a limited budget, it took me a while to find a system large enough that didn't break the bank. I was leaning towards a JBJ 45g rimless, or a IM 38 gallon rimless. After doing more and more research, I decided on a 50 gallon rimless cube with 20 gallon sump. (Brand name withheld so this doesn't come across as a commercial for them. They are a sponsor of another forum I found) They make a reef ready package that includes the rimless cube, stand, sump, protein skimmer, return pump and plumbing. The price was good, even better than the JBJ or IM setups, but shipping would have added another $200 onto the price, so I was hesitant. By accident I found they were selling the same system on Ebay with free shipping so I bought it. If anyone is interested in the brand shoot me a PM!

I won the auction on a Saturday. They shipped it out Monday morning via a freight company. It went from California to Illinois and made it here by Thursday. The freight company called me to schedule delivery, and I had it the very next day, Friday. 5 days isn't bad. It came on a pallet in two boxes:

fb038ad4-30db-47b6-9203-d6f1e86de16b_zpsd910d3c4.jpg

It was very well packed:

y4ul_zps4be3b5ea.jpg

Here you can see the sump packed nicely inside the display tank:

8a23_zps66866da8.jpg

The skimmer was packed well also:

ba9e08a9-bfc9-4e83-a839-671694464ce0_zps89d441f0.jpg

The stand is made of very thick MDF on the 50 gallon model (I hear they use real wood on the 66 gallon and larger models) and it came unassembled. It was also packed very well, no scratches or dents:

7bw7_zpseaf7e4da.jpg

Assembly instructions were very basic, but if you've ever assembled anything from Ikea you'll have an easy time building it:

d7904133-caa0-484c-a2e6-b0f65f13dc0d_zps447a57bc.jpg

There is also instructions on how to unpack the aquarium and a breakdown of all the skimmer parts:

67951173-9c8b-4731-93ce-6e2554aae930_zps42afbc60.jpg

Assembly of the stand took me 30 minutes. I leveled the stand to the floor. It also came with a foam "leveling mat" that you place between the stand and display tank. There was another foam "leveling mat" for the glass sump too. Then I placed the display tank on the stand:

jb21_zpsdd17e354.jpg

Here's the sump. Return is on the left, refugium section in the center, and protein skimmer on the right where the display tank drains into the sump:

ge4x_zps8c7251e1.jpg

That's my low-tech Par 38 CFL 6500K fuge light with a clamp-on reflector. Is that a good choice for a fuge light?

Once everything was in place I installed the bulkhead fittings and ran the included tubing down to the sump. I like the tubing as it provides less restriction to flow and I can move things around if I need to.

Here is a shot of the all glass overflow with the drilled out holes in the bottom:

m3mn_zps9b573a5a.jpg

The plumbing includes a 1" PVC Durso standpipe for the return/drain and a PVC supply tee'd off for two flow nozzles. I filled it up with tap water for a leak test and I ran the return pump. With return flow at full flow (395 GPH) I was getting a loud noise from the Durso pipe, so I slowed flow down to about half that and it quieted right down. I'm still trying to figure out if 200 GPH is too slow flow through the sump, or how to quiet down the Durso at full flow. I even tested the skimmer.

Everything worked properly so after a few days of running I drained all the tap water out. She is just sitting now waiting for me to get everything else I need. Already ordered is a Reef Radiance Lumentek Pro 120 LED light, a Jebao WP25, and a 200w ViaAqua Titanium heater.

Up next is an RO/DI system, ATO, sand and rock and reef salt mix. Also some Chaetomorpha for the fuge and maybe some sand. I'll post more as things come in and I get it set up.

Thanks for following along!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes looking good!

salmonshutters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start. You mentioned your stand is made of MDF, I would make sure to keep the stand as dry as possible. MDF will soaks up water and expands if it is not laminated correctly.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone.

I just ordered a JBJ ATO and a Aqualifter pump for my automatic top off set up. Ideally I want to place my RO/DI reservoir and salt water reservoir in the laundry room which is just behind the wall where my tank is. But I don't know how long the cables and such are with the JBJ, so I'll have to check it out when it gets here in a few days.

I was going back and forth trying to decide if I should get all live rock or start out with dry rock. After reading through a few aquascape threads, I've decided to go with dry rock so I can take my time doing a functional yet pleasing to the eye aquascape. Looks like I'll be getting my rock and sand from Dry Live Rock for Sale | Aragonite Sand | Aquarium Supply - Marco Rocks Very good prices and the rock looks great. Once my rock is in place and I get an RO/DI system going I'll add a few pieces of live rock to seed it.

Goose1505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed!! I am also looking to get into the hobby and am in the same boat as you. I would love to know the tank and the manufacturer this looks like a great set up instead of an AIO like jbj or biocube. Pls PM me when you get a chance. Thanks

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jebao WP25 came in yesterday. I got it on Ebay for $66 shipped. I was pleasantly surprised at how hefty and solid it feels. I plugged it in and tested it briefly and seemed to work fine. I don't have any water in the tank yet so it will be awhile before I can do a full test.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any stocking plans?
I'm still doing research for what fish and corals I want. Trying to figure out compatibility. I figure 6 fish. I like the Blue/Green Reef Chromis, a compatible Wrasse of some kind and clowns. As for corals I'll start with something easy to care for.

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A minor update to the build.

I ordered an RO/DI unit from Purely H2O: Optima Automated RO DI System
It includes an automatic shut-off and float valve so I can fill my reservoir and not have to watch it. I added the dual line TDS meter to the order. I also picked up two 20 gallon Brute trash cans with lids from Home Depot. $19 a piece. One for the RO/DI water which will also serve as my ATO reservoir, and the other one for salt water. The brute trash cans are made of LDPE food grade plastic which is safe for storing the water.

The JBJ ATO came in and I got a Tom Aqua Lifter pump. The pump is too weak for my application for use on my ATO setup. The pump only has a lift of 30", this count's on the suction side of the pump not just the discharge side. I was going to mount the pump on the top lip of the can, but by the time it pulls the water up and out of the can, then pumps it through a wall to my sump, the water comes out as barley a trickle. I think the JBJ shuts off after 15 minutes of run time. The Aqua Lifter will probably not be suitable for this application. (If my reservoir was shorter and right next to the sump it would work well) I will probably go with a submersible pump like a Eheim compact 600 which has a head of 4.4' and I can dial it down to 40 GPH. Luckily this mistake only cost me $17 for the Aqua Lifter, and I can probably use it in the future anyway.

I just ordered dry rock from Reef Cleaners. 50 lbs for $95 shipped. Dry aquarium base rock for saltwater and reef aquariums
I will be ordering 80 lbs of dry sand tomorrow from Marco Rocks: Aquarium Sand | Argonite Sand | Dry Live Rock - Marco Rocks They offer two types, fine and coarse. From my research the fine is super fine sugar sand and a lot of people have trouble with sand dunes and sand storms. I will be ordering the coarse, which I have read is still pretty fine but an email to Marco Rocks over a week ago has gone unanswered. But the sand is a bargain at 40 lbs for 29.95 shipped so I'm willing to give it a try.

Plans are to seed the dry rock and sand with 10 lbs of live rock from Premium Decorative Live Rock

Oh, and the light I ordered from Reef Radiance the Lumentek 120, LUMENTEK PRO 120 - Reef Radiance is finally on its way from Hong Kong and it will arrive at Reef Radiance's facility in Arkansas today. Once they test it, they will ship it out to me, so I'm hoping it will arrive early next week. It has taken the full 4 weeks they estimate, but that was due to delays caused by the Chinese New Year. Apparently the whole country shuts down for weeks!

I'll post pics of everything once I get a few more items.

EllisJuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work man! I can't wait to see those lights over your tank. I am eagerly awaiting a Lumentek 240 I ordered for my 65g. Shoot me a PM with the tank manufacturers name. It looks like a quality setup.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my sand order from Marcorocks.com

I was doing more reading on the subject of deep sand beds and came across this article by Ronald Shimek Ph.D. an actual biologist. I encourage everyone to read it. Ron Shimek's Website...Deep Sand Beds
And he has more info here: Ron Shimek's Website... Reef Aquaria

Anyway he recommends a very small sand grain size such as "sugar fine" or "oolite" sand. So I ordered 80 lbs of the fine sand from Marco Rocks today.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back