Mr Aqua 25 Gallon Rimless

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having the 10 gallon for a while and going through a round of clownfish disease that killed off all my fish I figured it was a good time to pick up what was left and move to a bit bigger home. Currently everything is in my QT set up and has been for a couple months. Here are some pictures of the progress made so far.

I had the tank drilled by a guy from my local reef club. It's drilled for a 1" drain and return. Later in the plumbing I reduced to 1/2"

Next I built an acrylic bending table with some nichrome wire and a PC power supply. This enabled me to bend the acrylic for my internal overflow box. I used a table say to cut the teeth.

Next I started work on the stand. Just built with standard 2x4s.

I didn't want the stand larger than the tank, this made finding a tank for a sump difficult, but I worked that out. Enter the DIY acrylic sump!

next comes plumbing. I already have the stand finished and should be able to take pictures tomorrow. For lighting I am using a dimmable 160W full spectrum LED fixture. I plan to build a floating canopy to cover the light since it will be in the same room as the TV and I want to minimize light spillage as much as possible.

As for livestock, right now I have a pair of semi picasso percs and a neon goby. Corals consist of several different zoas and palys as well as some acans, favia, monti and chalice.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Here are shots of the tank on the completed stand and the sump with plumbing. It's a pretty simple set-up but that makes things easy.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon dottyback. Despite the bad rap these guys get a lot of times he has been a model citizen so far.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the openness of the scape!

Thanks, I got tired of just having a dense pile of rocks. I wanted something fish could swim through easily and I could see through. But I also left areas at the bottom were they can hide. I used acrylic rods to secure the rocks in place so the open structure wasn't flimsy.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an ATO and a DIY reservoir, also picked up some corals, acans and a torch.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, nothing much to report. I've moved most of my stuff from my frag tank over to this display. Stock list remains the same other than adding some turbo snails. I built an acrylic cover for the tank that I will post pics of tomorrow.

I did have an algae outbreak but that has passed and the algae has died off.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool, i love the lid for the rimless! The DIY factor steps up the cool factor of it all

Thanks, I actually got the idea from another member on here and just made a few tweaks. With all the other stuff I've built from acrylic for this tank I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner.

OP
OP
jasonp87

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used skimmer off a local reefer just to get home and find it less than 1/2" too tall for my stand. After an unsuccessful attempt to resell it I went ahead and cut the bottom couple inches off to make it fit and give me some room to remove the collection cup. The ASM Mini G should be more than enough for this small tank.

Back