OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The New Year brought more serious thoughts to the proposed build with a “Do it now, or it will never get done†mentality. I contacted three other vendors so I could bid out against the original vendor I had begun work with last year. As I was researching more on tank materials related to clarity, I decided to bid with two of the vendors using acrylic and the other two using low iron, or Starphire glass as that is how it worked out based on the vendor’s preference/recommendation of material. Therefore, I would have four bidders quoting the same cabinetry, and at least two bidders for each tank material to make a more informed decision.

I developed a conceptual “rough†sketch showing what I visualized fitting into the area of interest, after removing the existing countertop and glass block. As the cabinetry and tank were going to be custom, I eventually decided to go with a 60â€LX30â€WX30Hâ€, or about a 230 gallon tank.

Concept Sketch A.jpg

I had not yet figured out how most people develop their computer renderings of their tank builds!

087.jpg

Main view from living room (front viewing panel)

085.jpg

View from behind the tank (back viewing panel)

086.jpg

View from side of the tank (end viewing panel)

Bids were requested by mid-February so I could evaluate and “award†the work before our family trip to Orlando, FL to see Mickey Mouse in mid-March. What we will all do for our kids, as Disney was not what I considered a vacation but at least it worn them out…

Florida 2014 048.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, this is like reading a good novel....keep hoping there's more and reading and reading....I'm so glad I found this thread. Keep it coming!

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First 20 gallon.jpg Kitchen.jpg

I was able to find of picture of my first tank along with the condition of my kitchen! Looks like I needed to improve my own maintenance schedule so it was probably a good thing I didn’t start out with a saltwater tank…
You can see a glimpse of one cichlid showing some bright blue colors within the rock structure. I did end up being successful in getting a pair to mouth brood and raise two of the new fry to adulthood so I know at least most of the beer was drank and not spilled into the tank!

That looks like my kitchen in college.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I've had some setbacks in my SW adventure, but you, my friend, have trudged through what I probably would have given up! This is an excellent read of your history and the budget and keeping on how much you spent, I've never done that. I don't want to know what I've spent and I only have one tank. Although, it started with compact lighting and a canister filter. Quickly how I learned the money that was going to be spent...

I cannot wait to see your new build! That's going to be awesome! You corals are looking nice and healthy, I will be waiting to see your new setup.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the acrylic tanks were cheaper than the low iron glass, I was concerned about the ease to which they could be scratched. One particular thread I had read mentioned that their kid took a matchbox car and “drove†:car: it on the glass, laying tread marks as it went. Knowing I have my little ‘angel’ :angel: that likes to clean the glass on my other tanks, this was an easy decision to make to go with glass (I know some of the arguments that low iron glass scratches easy too and that acrylic scratches can be fixed, but glass won out).

071.jpg

065.jpg

I pulled the trigger on February 21
st and met with the awarded vendor to make a down payment to start the tank fabrication, which was estimated to take 8 to 12 weeks from placement of order by the tank manufacturer, Acrylic Glass Exhibits, Inc. (AGE). This gave me plenty of time after my vacation to demolish the countertop, modify the wood flooring around the tank so it would be supported on the concrete floor, run new electrical and install a couple vents.

140504 002.jpg

140504 006.jpg

140504 007.jpg

I just learned that the "rebuild" of the new tank is almost complete and the tentative ship date will be during the week of June 9th, so let's hope there are NO bubbles within the caulking this time! I am glad some of you found this long :bored:introduction to my new build interesting, or somewhat entertaining and hope you can relate. I always wonder myself if most others find a smoother ride leading them down the path of their successes in this hobby and would enjoy reading those stories. I guess we can't all be like 'Paul B' and have 40 years of success with our tanks, but hope to try going forward (let's see that would make me 44 + 40 = 84 years old)! :eek:hwell:

Camkha1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an awesome thread to read through. I appreciate you taking the time to type all of that up for us. Make sure to keep us updated! Following :)

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some current pic's of "The Fish Room" which will be kept running in addition to the 230 gallon upgrade.

5.jpg

The "system" taking up the back three quarters of the laundry room.

9.jpg

65-gallon "Display Tank" (Who wants to sit in the laundry room to enjoy)!

8.jpg

34-gallon "Frag Tank"

1.jpg

20-gallon "Frag Tank"

2.jpg

Sump and refugium with cat litter ATO

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW !!! That was one heck of a read, story, adventure, journey and like someone else ^above^ mentioned brought back many memories of the past few decades to my adventure in Marine Aquaria and Reefkeeping. Looking forward to the following chapters.

Cheers, Todd

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Progressing on!! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank and stand have been shipped and the install is planned for this Friday! :bigsmile:

It can't come soon enough as the silicone in my 23-year old tank is falling apart which could take down my whole system.:fear:

caulking.jpg

Hopefully the clowns will be at ease in their new home and won't take constant refuge in their RBTA. They barely leave it to get food so I have to target feed them which will not be as easy in the larger tank.

Clowns.jpg

Fingers crossed that everything stays on track and I can have some actual updates/pictures of the new system this weekend.:thumb:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful RBTA!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow it's doing good!

Clink51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has been an awesome read! i plan to join you on this adventure!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks 'Clink51' and Jackie, but I will sleep well tonight (kind of) as this "adventure" will be delayed once again! :mad2:

Just got word that shipping is delayed and now the tank won't arrive at the installers shop until possibly tomorrow afternoon. Therefore, installation has to be rescheduled until sometime next week as we will wait until the tank actually arrives to coordinate a time.

I could have very well told my life story to fill in these delays... Now just hoping that the tank at least arrives in one piece!

To help fill in the time, I will post some growth shots of some of my corals, along with some "issues" that have caused some losses to RTN/STN.

Unfortunately with all the great pictures people are now taking with their macro lenses, this hobby is going to lead me into a second expensive hobby of Photography as all my pics to date are only from my smartphone.:photo:

Clink51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You an call me Gio if you wish, or clink as thats been my nickname for over a decade... anyway, i purchased an underwater camera from best buy. def look into it as its affordable and can be thrown into the tank for good pictures

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-coolpix-aw120-16-0-megapixel-digital-camera-orange/4526004.p?id=1219098554314&skuId=4526004&st=categoryid$pcmcat324200050004&cp=1&lp=4

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear of the delay :( I understand what that's like. I am building a used 180. On the bright side, my delays have led me into some better ideas with it having extra time to think :) I'm sure your set up will be fantastic and worth it all!

Jackie

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back