StPatrick's 80 Gallon rimless SPS tank. V3

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I go again. I wanted to start a new thread for my 80 gallon SPS dominated reef. This is going to be it! This will be my 3rd tank build in the last 5 years. I hope that i don't replicate the build errors of the past. Trying to make this one the most efficient yet. Any advice would be appreciated. I will list some build fact below and then post some pictures.

Tank;
I ordered the Leemar tank from Will at AquaSD. Three sided starfire glass. 36x24x22. O ordered with no over flow box. I plan on DYI with I figure out where I want to place the tank. I will probably drill and place the overflow in the left corner. The tank will be plumed through the wall and into the garage :)

Lighting: DYI canopy with two radion gen2s flanking a 250 watt metal halide in a Lumen Max Elite Hood . Ballast will be the galaxy select-a-watt ran on the 250 HQI setting. The bulb will be a 250 watt radium 20k.

Circulation: 1 MP-40. Tank return and maybe one powerhead.

Stand: DYI

Sump: Eshopps ADV-200 Refugium Sump

Protein Shimmer: ATI PowerCone 250 I-Series.

Pump: Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybrid.

Frag Tank: 16x16x10
Lighting: 120 watt two channel dimmable LED.
Dimmer One(24 LEDs): Blue 460nm;
Dimmer Two(24 LEDs): Warm White(3500K), Neutral White(6500K), UV (400-420nm), 520nm, 660nm

Controller: Apex

Supplementation: The big three will be dosed with a Bubble Magus dosing pump.

Refugium or Bio Pellet reactor: Thats the question. Right now I am leaning toward a reactor.

I will be also running an 30 external blue rain barrel with a DSB for NO3 reduction. Thanks Adam (BS) for the idea. Between the tank, sump, frag tank, and DSB barrel i should have a total water volume of 140 gallons. Everything will be plumbed through the laundry room and out to the garage. It will be plumed into a 47x20x76 cabinet I will purchase from Lows.

Ok then. Lets get this party started.:help:

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tank. 80 Starfire Leemar rimless. The overflow you see is just setting there. This will be the final placement location. Eventually. I still need to drill the holes then Glue the overflow box in place. I bought it from a guy on ebay, It's pretty nice. I am happy with it.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my holding system. When I tore down my 60 gallon Solana this is where everything went. Light is a 250 MH. 14k Phoenix bulb. 6 hours,

And here is some eye candy!

Snipersps Mr pacman, rr ausi gold, snipersps blue lagon, pink dragon tails :eek:hsnap:

More candy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I wanted to share some pictures of the stand and canopy that I build. Let me know what you think.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I sanded, stained, sealed and moved it into the house my wife tells me its not dark enough. To pink she says. So, i need to move it back out sand it, add more stain, and seal it again :moony:

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a peek inside of the brains. I will have a 250 hqi ballast driving the Radium bulbd. 20K Sandwiched between radion g2s :laser:

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No for the nerve racking part. Drilling the holes for the drain and return. Here goes nothing.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the back gloss black. Turned out great. Ha ha... I just noticed. You can see the parts I am using for the muffler in the upper right of this picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Securing the bulkhead fittings and gluing in the over flow box. I have to cut it done about 6 inches. I used the piece I cut and made a cool overflow cover :)

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is, stand and canopy sanded and re-stained, Bulkhead fitting in, back painted, overflow in and dry. Ready to start plumbing. Just behind the tank is our laundry room. I talked my wife into allowing me to have it demoed and remodeled. That will help me route the pipes and some electrical to the garage :xd: Here she is, stand and canopy sanded and re-stained, Bulkhead fitting in, back painted, overflow in and dry. Ready to start plumbing. Just behind the tank is our laundry room. I talked my wife into allowing me to have it demoed and remodeled. That will help me route the pipes and some electrical to the garage No I have to fork out for new flooring, cabinets and paint. I sounded like a good idea at the time. :cry:

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having everything BUT the DT in the garage (out of sight out of mind) is awesome! Can't wait until I have that option. Really impressed with your set up so far. Following along on this one.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome start, glad to see you building again.

OP
OP
Stpatrick

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having everything BUT the DT in the garage (out of sight out of mind) is awesome! Can't wait until I have that option. Really impressed with your set up so far. Following along on this one.

Thank you Clownfitch

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back