150G Marineland Cube

hampmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my cube about a year ago and it has taken me roughly a year to collect the equipment I "deemed" worthy of this build. The tank is roughly 36x36x27. The plan is to go with a SPS dominant tank with some LPS mixed in.

I am going to be putting every except the display in the basement in my mechanical room.

I will be using a Reeflo Trident III to push the water from the basement to the display on the first floor.

I went with a lifereef protein skimmer. I actually contacted Jeff the owner of the company took pictures of the skimmer since it was used and we discussed the skimmer. To my amazement he said the design is roughly 15 years old. He offered to update the skimmer for me at the cost of 53 dollars (includes shipping). So he made a new protein skimmer cup and added all the drainage and options you would get with a newer skimmer. All in all it looks good and hopefully in the next month I'll be able to say it performs well. Noise isn't an issue given it will be in the basement.

I also went with 2 Jaebo WP-40's I am prepared to go with Vortech's/Tunze's; however I got in on a good group buy and got the two WP-40's for 88 shipping included.

I also had a local vender make custom reactors. I had 3 made initially; however I am not sure if I am going to use all 3. I will likely use at most 2 (carbon, GFO/Bio Pellets). I will likely go with GFO for phospate control. I am afraid Bio Pellets would eat too many nutrients from the system and would starve my enormous refugium 75 gallons. The reactors will be run from a manifold.

I also picked up a UV Sterilizer from a local fish store that was selling to new owners

Next is the homemade stand.

Doing custom stained glass in the doors. Still waiting for these to be finished. Pictures to come soon on that :).

I received all the True Union Valves about a week ago.

I also started the stand in the basement that will hold most of equipment.

Last but not least I received my light in the mail last week. I went with a Pacific Sun Pandora Hyperion S.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/ho...4CF7B0DE-B2F7-4A23-A94F-9961D7FD230A.jpg.html

I need to take more pictures with the T5's (I just got them in the mail apparently they were drop shipped to the wrong location). I went with a ATI Blue Plus and ATI Coral Plus.

For a sump I went with a Melev G-EXT

I wanted one and didn't think I would be able to afford shipping for it given the meticulous packing that is required. I ran across one from a fellow reefer had moved from TX and was moving again and wanted to unload it. Here is a stock photo.

I will also be adding a frag tank to the system 24x18x8 (glass).

I am using 2 40 breeder's plumbed together for a water mixing/change station.

I will be using a MRC CR2 Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor as well.

Hopefully I will be getting salty in the next few weeks.

Things left to do:
Plumb the utility sink
Add the Support Structure to the stand in the basement.
Once the stand construction is complete add the water based epoxy paint for water proofing
Decide which controller I am going to use Apex/Reef Angel possibly the Vertex that is coming out next month (still looking for more information).
Pickup the dual headed persistent refiller pump for daily water changes.

OP
OP
H

hampmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started making water and will finally be getting salty within the week (hopefully weekend).

Here are a few pictures of the fish room.

jkirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great dimensions on that cube, looks like your build is off to a great start. And the carpentry skills on the stand are very impressive

OP
OP
H

hampmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great dimensions on that cube, looks like your build is off to a great start. And the carpentry skills on the stand are very impressive

Thanks I have a terrible back so it took me much longer than expected to finish. I put roughly 80-100 hours into it. I still haven't decided if I am going to go with a hood yet. I am going to try hanging initially to see if I like the light hanging over.

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U need help hanging the light or whatever hit me up I'm in wentzville and member of slash

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start (except for the leaking seam, which shouldn't be a hard fix). I wish I had your carpentry skills! Working on a 200DD myself.

OP
OP
H

hampmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key to remember with carpentry is do not rush. No excuse for not having uniform lines, clamps (nuff said), biscuit jointer best thing in the world :).

OP
OP
H

hampmp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a local fabricator that believes he can repair it in an hour or so. Price will be 50-100 bucks depending on how long it takes. Perfectly reasonable to me.

mateomarinereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
building a 150 also, any updateson your build??

Love what you have done thus far. Are you offically salty by now? i just got my stock stand in my house but not the tank yet. Also where did you get those reducing ball valves for the manifold? i would like to do the exact am thing and havent found any like that yet. Thanks alot and good luck!!! Best mateo:hail::hail:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far . Good to see someone taking their time .. My sis lives in Creve Coeur so I wonder how far that is from u . I got to see the new opening of some huge outlet mall in the area . I also enjoyed some huge home improvement store that makes HD n Lowes look like a convenience store . lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back