37g Euphyllia Garden

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here for a few months, and decided it's finally time to post some details of my mini reef and the process to which it came to life. I first added water on March 13, 2014, so it's just a bit over 4 months old at this point. I'd love any and all feedback on a few issues I'm having, and that's a main reason why I've chosen to make a thread over here, it seems a bit more active than other boards. I'm living in an apartment while I finish up my Bachelor's and decided on a smaller display with a larger sump in hopes of upgrading the display after I move and using the same filtration.

37 gallon AGA Display (30" x 12.5" x 23") Black silicone
29 gallon AGA Sump (30" x 12.5"x 18")
SCA - 301 protein skimmer
Tunze 3155 ATO
BRS carbon reactor
TLF GFO reactor
Evergrow "165W" Full spectrum LED box
MP10w
Eshopps filter sock
150w heater

Controller in the future at some point, for piece of mind on my heater. Now on to some pictures!

Plasti dipped the back of the tank black, and went about swapping the center brace for a centrally mounted light friendly version. Used 3 x nylon bolts and nuts on each side as well as epoxy to solidify the two. Attached the arcylic beaneth the plastic to maintain original shape and dimensions.

Started work on the stand (which is still incomplete to this day). I'm a taller guy, so it's 40" tall and plenty of room for a supply shelf.

Kilz/white 3 coats, siliconed seams

Rocks first, and this may be where my first mistake took place. I purchased the rocks from a local guy that buys broken down set ups. It was dry so I made sure to bleach the rocks with some powerheads for a few days and dechlorinate them. I weighed the options and skipped the muratic acid bath, as I wasn't sure how to do this in my apartment complex without startling some neighbors. I'm now dealing with some organic matter leaching out of the rocks and growing some nasty algae and contributing to my phosphate levels. Next time right?

Sand added, and this picture shows the MP10w and the MP20, which turned out to be way too much flow without them being able to communicate with each other. MP20 was traded for coral later on.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now on to some sump construction pictures, finally settled on a 29 gallon with dreams of a larger display in the future.

Left to right: ATO reservoir, skimmer/filter sock, return, refugium

Mounted a PAR 20 refugium light about the sump to grow some Chaetomorpha and culture microfauna

The display is not drilled, som I used a U tube style overflow (so far so good, but next tank will be drilled for the piece of mind)

Template for a few controllers

Sump is starting to come together, a future improvement will be a taller baffle for the refugium to increase it's total volume

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some water in the display, made a new mess everyday during this stage.

Live rock to start seeding the dry rock and dry sand. Hitchiker leather coral as a guinea pig.

Hofer gurgle buster in the overflow

Breaking in the skimmer

Carbon reactor insert

First diatom bloom, added a live rock chunk to the display to spread some microfauna and bacteria a bit faster.

Working sump, with the "floating" carbon reactor

Macroalgae added to the refugium. Chaetomorpha, Caulerpa 'grape', and a Codium sp. I've ditched the grape Caulerpa in fear of it appearing in the display.

Hung the LED from the ceiling

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I began the addition of livestock and will post some representative pictures of the pieces.

Onyx percula pair and some softies added at first. GSP, bam bam Zoanthids, gold maul Palythoa. Also started with a few Euphyllia, scuba steve bicolor frogspawn, aussi splatter hammer, green/pink frogspawn.

Euphyllia parancora

RBTA for the clowns, this guy was a nightmare. I should have added it first to avoid it wandering around my coral. He stayed put for about 4 weeks, then decided to go an adventure. Luckily I was able to move all of the coral out of his way before there were any casualties, but itwas a stressful time in the mini reef.

"final" resting spot

Added some LPS frags to the mix.Acanthastrea lordhowensis, Blastomussa wellsi, Ducanopsammia axifuga, maxima clam

Seafoam Euphyllia parancora

Couple Euphyllia paradivisa

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubblegum chalice

Dragon Soul Favia (or Goniastrea?)

Tricolor Favites

Bam bam Zoas

Captain america Palythoa, and eagle eye Zoanthids

RBTA final spot...?

Hitchhiker was an ORA green polyp leather

Acanthastrea lordhowensis grouping and start of my "lawn"

Top down of some Euphyllias

Aussie splatter E. parancora, RBTA

ORA micronesian E. parancora adjusting to the LEDs

My hair algae/fuzz algae starting to come out a bit more, and a nice pink/green Ricordea yuma

We've got a local guy that's an SPS guru, and after 4 months, I finally caved to his persuasion.

Bonsai Acropora

Red planet Acropora

Montipora setosa and some detail of my fuzz. Hanna checker showed 0.07 ppm phosphate before I added the GFO reactor, so I can only assume it's lower now.

Got this little bleached guy as an Utter Chaos Playthoa, thoughts?

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm starting to see some growth in the sps frags and have gained a bit of confidence in my system. The fuzz is slowly disappearing thanks to some trochus snails and an army of stomatellas. I'll add some more pictures on Thursday.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuzz algae is nearly gone and the rocks are getting a darker coating of algae. I can see purple coralline starting to spread a bit more and has a few patches instead of random small spots. It's really exciting seeing a reef mature and being able to look back on my previous pictures to see growth and change.

This is the best area to show my algae bloom, in the previous pictures, it's a small forest, here it is today, and a small amount of Montipora setosa growth.

Here's a full tank shot showing most of the SPS mounted and a few new additions:

Torch coral (Euphyllia glabrescens) Purple with green tips
Sun coral (Tubastrea coccinea)
Black sun coral (Tubastrea micrantha)

And I believe for my final two pieces, I will be adding an ORA red Goniopora and a pink Stylophora in the following weeks. That should roundoff this tank while I search for an upgrade!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that rock work. And from what I see in the newest tank shot your anemone has found it's 2nd "final resting spot". :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've always been a fan of appreciating the rock work before any coral are added. How could you go wrong at that point? The anemone is the biggest pain in the ads I've dealt with in this build. Constantly moving and threatening my coral. I've warned it a few times that I was close to revoking it, but it looks too nice! One of my biggest excuses for a tank upgrade, more anemone stomping ground!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I debated putting one in my current tank...my last tank was 175g...I was sitting in the living room one afternoon and noticed something odd in the tank and realized the stupid thing and just let go and was flying around the tank. Luckily I'd already put the foam covers over the vortechs cause it went tentacle first into. just had to turn it off and shake it out of the foam.

Reeferdude56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a beautiful tank, but I think that you SPS frags are going to get best up once your hammers start growing.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another excuse for a tank upgrade, I suppose? I've only got 3 of the sps frags mounted with epoxy, the others are just resting because of the anemone`s constant onslaught. Nabbed a small pink Stylophora frag today to start growing out and found some ORA red goniopora frags at a local shop, they have a sale next week, so I'll have to be patient. My only fear of upgrading is not getting the perfect aquascape and having two full systems running rather than joining this one into a larger set up. Found a 105 (36"long x 24" wide x 28" tall) that reminds me of a much larger version of this reef...

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fw pictures from last night's target feedings.

Tubastrea coccinea

Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Palythoa 'utter chaos' I believe. Gaining more color every day and has a new polyp

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm really enjoying placing coral onto it, but really want to drop it into a larger vessel. 75 gallon would give me some room to make another island on the opposite side.

OP
OP
Dendrobates

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snapped a few pictures on the day that my reef turned 5 months. It's really starting to fill out and I've slowly seen coralline replacing the nuisance algae.

Duncanopsammia axifuga

Ricordea yuma, this one has a taste for chalices. Expanded at night and killed my OG bubblegum chalice and about half of my rescue pink chalice.

Freshly fragged pink Stylophora

My non Euphyllia LPS garden with a few Acanthastrea lordhowensis, Blastomussa wellsi, and Favites pentagona

This guy has grown quite the base since I've gotten it, but I haven't seen any other growth indicators... until I looked on the backside that faces up to the light. Acropora 'bonsai'

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back