Seth's new Red Sea Max 500

snafte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i thought i would share my experience with my new RSM 500 that i have recently set up. The tank was a major upgrade from my nano 21g cube, but so far it has been a dream come true and has gone very smoothly.
I erected and filled the tank about 4 weeks ago, and purchased the most amazing LR I have ever seen, full of life, frags and more.
IMG_1152_zpsdff59035.jpg

I was very fortunate to be very good friends with a licensed collector, so the rock was not out of the water for very long at all, and thus to date I have had minimal die off, and even found a baby fish still alive and now living in the tank:
_MG_1379_zps0f36b334.jpg

I have set the sump up with 6 dosing pumps for the following:
Calcium
Magnesium
Alkalinity
Nitrate remover
Phosphate remover
Trace Elements
The sump also houses a refugium with some Cheato in it
Currently I have no need to dose any of the nitrate or phosphate removers
Untitled_zpsfd8b0e84.jpg

After 3 weeks there has been no evidence of any ammonia or nitrate present in any of the tests (daily testing has been done)
I was ghost feeding for 3 weeks and only the nitrates increased to 7ppm.

I was also very excited to discover a baby speckled BTA that came on the LR
_MG_1343_zps13b0a8bc.jpg

Here is few more images of some of the life that came with the rock

_MG_1392_zps36852fe9.jpg

_MG_1393_zps1fc035c7.jpg

_MG_1352_zpsb7274214.jpg

lots and lots of feather dusters, as well as some fantastic macro algae

_MG_1282_zpsf966f192.jpg

Further to this i transferred my live stock from my existing cube into the new tank, and can honestly say the fish and coral all seem much happier!
Here is FTS taken today:

IMG_1295_zpsc58d2f7e.jpg

And if you feel like checking out a vid of the tank, which shows the caves and archway made check below:
[video=youtube;ZWHmzG91ZPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWHmzG91ZPw&list=UUVC1zmQV5j995I9fj4Tydgw[/video]

I have also turned the old cube tank into a QT, and currently have a naso tang in there, whom hopefully will be joining the tank by the end of next week!!

OP
OP
S

snafte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This a gorgeous tank! Good work. Where did this rock come from if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, I'm loving the tank! It's been a fun journey getting here. I was actually really lucky with the live rock. A good friend of mine is a collector around the the Ningaloo reef in Western Australia, and he did me a favour finding me some very special live rock, which still to date is surprising me with live and new corals :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow it has come a LONG way! Beautiful!

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say you took a BIG risk putting live rock with so muh stuff on it in a tank but it has certainly turned out nice for you!

OP
OP
S

snafte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I'm very happy with the progress of this tank. It's been an awesome journey.
I did consider the risks of putting in live rock with some much life on it, but I guess I'm lucky with the result. The fluro green anemone (not sure what type) was actually a hitch hiker which I only noticed a few months in, and was only a couple centimetres in size. It's now gone very large and my clowns love going between the recently split bubble tip and that nem :)

Back