Justin's 82G - clownfish harem journal

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anemone & Clownfish lovers!

I have recently converted my reef tank slowly to an anemone dominated tank and clownfish harem. I guess I will start off by saying I have been in the hobby since January 2014.

I guess I will go over my process of switching from a reef to the harem tank. I got the idea to do this back in April or May and wondered how could I successfully pull it off or at least give me the best shot at pulling it off so I read the popular thread by Mobert on RC "27 clowns in the same tank 27 months".

What I gathered was I would want to get the anemones before introduction of the clownfish, just to limit the stress of the new anemone entering DT either from QT or TT. Once I had enough anemones I sold most of my livestock except for a Potters Leopard Wrasse & 2 existing clownfish. I then looked for a local clownfish breeder who had enough clownfish from the same clutch for sale, I was looking for A. Ocellaris, A. Percula & A. Perideraion specifically.

Current tank photo:

EQhFMsJ.jpg

Before the aquascape:

88tMZLK.jpg

Treatment tank setup:

1YC61OO.png

qMlaW9c.jpg

SjiIM8s.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how many clowns are you planning on having? Another great example of a harem tank would be Marvinsreef tank, he has a build thread here and a couple of videos on youtube. He was selective about his clowns though, it was really nice

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how many clowns are you planning on having? Another great example of a harem tank would be Marvinsreef tank, he has a build thread here and a couple of videos on youtube.

I currently have 15 clownfish, in the future I may add 4 or so small A. Perideraion. Thanks for the heads up, on Marvinsreef I will read it but I have pretty much already figured out/done all the footwork, now it's the progression of watching them mature.

Igarc009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 15 clownfish, in the future I may add 4 or so small A. Perideraion. Thanks for the heads up, on Marvinsreef I will read it but I have pretty much already figured out/done all the footwork, now it's the progression of watching them mature.

Sweet! I plan on setting one of these tanks up one day, nothing more beautiful then the symbiotic relationship between clowns and anemones

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I plan on setting one of these tanks up one day, nothing more beautiful then the symbiotic relationship between clowns and anemones

Us too !
I will be setting up a 40 breeder for just this wonderful relationship !
We had several back in the 90's and now getting back into the hobby.

Justin, your tank is looking awesome !

Where can you get a high quality, deep green, carpet, without breaking the bank ?

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Us too !
I will be setting up a 40 breeder for just this wonderful relationship !
We had several back in the 90's and now getting back into the hobby.

Justin, your tank is looking awesome !

Where can you get a high quality, deep green, carpet, without breaking the bank ?

Awesome, sounds like a lot of harem tanks coming up! I bought mine from a LFS for $200 but it was already 13".

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin, we found a great deal on a Carpet for $109. The green color is outstanding.
What species of Clowns have you had the best results for the symbiotic relationship with the Carpet ?

Green Carpet, Red Scolymia, Orange Fungi #2.jpg
Green Carpet.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Justin, we found a great deal on a Carpet for $109. The green color is outstanding.
What species of Clowns have you had the best results for the symbiotic relationship with the Carpet ?

Green Carpet, Red Scolymia, Orange Fungi #2.jpg Green Carpet.jpg

Your best bet for hosting would be, A. Clarkii, A. chrysopterus, A. akindynos, A. Chrysogaster, A. Sebae, A. Polymnus. Also in home aquariums A. Ocellaris and A. Percula may eventually host.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a new Heteractis Magnifica friday at a LFS, it is currently going through treatment but has really good potential.

ntQECpa.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of treatment and why ?
Looks nice !

I started off treating with Septra DS which is an antibiotic but switched last night to Ciprofloxacin. Deflation in anemones is a sign of infection and H. Mags or S. Gigantea will rarely ever recover in our systems without treatment. This picture is deceiving, it looked much worse but I was stimulating it with light every 30 minutes.

MbVIgrK.jpg

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE UPDATE:

Monday I get a text from my LFS saying they got in a blue S. Haddoni, right after work I go and look at it and it is amazing. I look in the same tank and there is a S. Gigantea that is marked as light green but looked tanish under their lighting but I grabbed it as I can't pass up a healthy Gigantea. LiveAquaria the same day was posting a Pink Long Tentacle Anemone and I knew how rare they were so I was keeping an eye out for it to be posted still after buying two anemones already as I knew I probably wouldn't see one again, so I bought it too!

My tank is a little cloudy from sand settling as I just recently got done with the LTA.

mQbMPwh.jpg

Blue S. Haddoni

ZjH560H.jpg

Purple and Green S. Gigantea

VMsyImb.jpg

Pink Long Tentacle Anemone

0marDt9.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful reef! I am loving it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back