SLM's Mini mixed reef

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started another thread here but abandoned that project. It was a 120 show. The scratches bothered me so I went and bought a brand new aqueon 125 72x18x23. The plan is to move most of my equipment over and buy corresponding additional equipment.
Here's the hardware:
Waveline dc6000 return pump
TLF 150 reactors
Skimz 161
AI Hydra 52 x 3
ADHI refugium I think the 30 model

The stand and floating canopy will be custom built.

To kick it off here's a pic of the my new advanced acrylics frag tank and reef radiance dm132e

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Slm222

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 hours of measuring cutting and predrilling we have the start of a 40" tall stand. The top will be 2x6 and everything else will be 2x4. Hopefully erect the frame and skin it today and paint tonight put the tank on tomorrow. A little ambitious I know.

OP
OP
Slm222

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408838300.941329.jpg

About half the rock I need. I'm happy with it so far. Plenty of shelf space.

Plumbing is done. Just waiting for skimmer to come in.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1408838394.171946.jpg

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean job on the stand and plumbing, looks organized and functional. I am curious about your stand construction, since I see you have used a kreg jig, is the inner 2x4 necessary since it's normally used as a screw strip or were you beefing it up a bit more?

OP
OP
Slm222

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I really wanted a clean lay out.

You got it. I wanted to need it up as well as ensure that I was square and try and prevent any torsion with the height of the stand. The stand is 40 inch tall so the legs are 31 in between the top 2x6 and bottom 2x4.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the thought of beefing up the stand, I would be super nervous to have something that tall made out of wood, very nice work on everything, I prefer a more minimal rockscape personally, but what are you planning on throwing in here?

OP
OP
Slm222

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. I really didn't move forward on the stand until I exchanged a couple scenarios with rocketengineer over on another reef forum. With the tank almost full I have pushed, pulled and shaken the tank to see what it would do. And it has not budged. I really like how I don't have to bend down to look into it.

A little of everything, lps, SPS, softies, clams, gorgs and possibly some nps. I wanted to try and simulate a rock slope... Kind of. I might redo it later on and go after a bonsai look. For fish I want a colorful dance so I'm looking towards a multitude of wrasses and possibly try my hand at anthias after everything is established.

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are over 6` tall and don't have a 40" stand, you are really missing out! I built mine to 40" and no longer have to bend down to peer in the reef or sit in a chair to be comfortable when viewing. My finger tips just barely touch the sand on a 24" tall tank but it was well worth it. Good seeing some inspiration for my future upgrade!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back