Miracl3 10gallon "college" invert only tank

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
foreword: I simply dont have the money available to upgrade things and i dont have the patience to save at the rate necessary to get good lights or filtration.

Tank: 10gallon Tetra GloFish aquarium (bought as a pack, I liked the slim hood)
Lights: 8" Blue LED Tetra "Glofish" runs 12-8Pm (will be upgraded eventually)
Filter: Tetra "whisper" filter socks filled with carbon. I replaced the carbon with PURA filtration pads that I cut to fit. (needs to be upgraded eventually, likely Ill get a bigger tank and turn the 10gal into a mini sump)
Pumps: (1)Marineland MaxiJet 400gph
added an old heater I had for a biocube
total cost: ~$100

started February 2014
---

March 2014
ZpXPNJN.jpg

I lost pretty much everything in the tank at that time, except the friggen trumpet.

July 2014
C6Tmoke.jpg

--Tank moved from my old apartment to the house I am in now

August 2014
3Hyc3hm.jpg

this was 1 week after the addition of the feather star.
I have a few filter feeders so I give them 5mL of phytoplankton twice a day.
The Crinoid needs a large amount of phytoplankton, and so far Ive not lost a single filter feeder and my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is still 0ppm

I also added a mini xenia colony which is growing out of a old hermit shell that also has a feather duster growing in it.

August 18 2014
eOTakTq.jpg

My large duster from mid June shed its gills during the move to the new house, and today he popped out with the new fan.
AMq0hf1.jpg

So yeah its a work in progress. I miss my torch a lot, and Im considering a frogspawn but will keep you updated.
Im fairly new at coral and so far my best luck has been with mushrooms and filter feeders. go figure.

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Yuma this weekend and started running my white lights again. no more red on my rocks, and my coral will be happier. here are some tank shots:
q6YUpmH.png

close up on my shell dusters and Xenia. I trimmed a small branch because it was disturbing the red duster and i never saw him. now it just looks cool
3ZgRUld.png

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have since lost the crinoid, but Ive been prepared for it since I bought it. It lasted from the end of July through Sept 1.
I wouldnt recommend anyone keeping them until further advancements have been made in keeping them.

and with that update, a picture of my yuma!
q10uQtU.png

**although I usually dont post "filtered" pictures, this is through a florescent tinted set of glasses with my blue lights on(with my iPhone, sorry for the quality). i love those glasses and if you have florescent coral get a pair, they make staring at your coral twice as fun!

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15266_872670519410691_3657523768343088872_n.jpg

Sometimes in life you find yourself with an unimaginable gift. As I recently started working in Sea in the City, a hole in the wall LFS in Orlando, I mentioned I had lost the coral from earlier this year during the move to my new house. Yesterday, a customer was referred to me as he was tearing down his tank and I happened upon quite the amazing cache of coral that he gave me at the greatly reduced cost of free. I am now the proud owner of a Euphyllia dominated nano 10 gal tank. Is this too much bicolor fropspawn? (the coral had a bit of hair algae but I consider it worth the cleaning.)

Vk4ghg2.png

closeup of the bicolor frogspawn

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip

lost my flame scallop. i fragged the frogspawn to make room and one head fell into the scallop, stinging it. it was unale to close its shell because the skeleton of the coral was wedged in between the shells. found it shrunken and falling apart this morning. :c

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back