Spsaddict's dream come true!

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a lurker on this forum for a long time. I figured since I have some time this week I would finally get to work on my own build thread. This thread will be picture intense and as detailed as possible.

The build started in 2012 with my plan of a 120 gallon leemar tank to be put in the house. That quickly changed when I was given the green light to put the tank in the garage. That's when I took off and ran with it!
:rockon:

The main display is a Leemar 48x30x20 eurobraced with the front and right side panel starphire glass. The stand is a custom wood stand made by a friend. This tank was to be a 100% sps bare bottom display.

Original sketch

I
Then decided to add a frag tank next to it that would be connected with the same sump.

Frag tank original sketch

F
rag tank is a custom leemar 60x30x14 eurobraced front pannel starphire glass with a coast to coast overflow. I made the mistake of only doing two 1" drains. After filling it I realized the drains couldn't handle the flow I was throwing at it, so I decided to plug one return and open up a third 1" drain. The frag tank was made to grow out frags of the colonies from the main display. It is also bare bottom. I had a custom steel stand made by a friend for this tank.

Then came the sump. I wanted to design a large sump to accommodate the filtration I desired.

Sump original sketch

D
imensions of the sump are 55x26x18 custom made by john of advanced acrylics. Red baffles with a white bottom.

I also had john make me a custom ato box and dosing container. The ato holds about 25 gallons of water and each segment of the dosing container holds about 6 gallons of product.

IMG_0569_zps60b76703.jpg

Flow in the main display is achieved by two ecotech mp-40w es and the main return pump which is a Reef Octopus hy-5000 going through a single enducted 1" return.

Flow in the frag is achieved by two Ecotech mp-40w es and 1 tunze 6085. The main return is a sicce syncra 5.0 going through a single 1" enductor.

Other equipment:

Skimmer = ATB 1050a
GFO reactor = Two little fishies phosban 550
Carbon reactor = Two little fishies phosban 150
Controller = Neptune Aquatics Aquacontroller apex w/wxm module and milwaukee PH probe.
Heating = 3x300w ehiem elements(apex controlled)
Cooling = Jbj Articia 1/3 hp chiller(apex controlled)
Lighting = 2x Ati sunpower 8x54w and 2x 48" Reefbrite blue Tech leds(apex controlled)
Dosing = Bubble Magus BMT01
ATO = Tunze osmolator
H20 purification = BRS 5 stage chloramines plus 150 gpd w/aquatek booster pump

Next I will document the preparations of the garage.

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions of the garage are 22ft long by 12 feet wide. Was looking pretty ugly in the beginning.

Insulation and drywall up

The garage was insulated, drywalled, and soundproofed

Last edited:
OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The garage has it's own dedicated electrical separate from the house. So I had an electrician come by and install 4 outlets on each wall, each on its own 20 amp circuit.

Walls and floor painted. I used a textured floor paint called floortex. Has a little grit in it for grip.

Then I secured some vinyl matting to the bottom third of the walls of the garage to protect the drywall from moisture damage.

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it was time for my water change station. Scored a couple of 55 gal food grade barrels. Also had a tiered steel stand made from my friend.

Stand

The top barrel is for RO which I can valve down via gravity to the bottom barrel once filled. A external pump is connected to the bottom bin which will recirculate water for SW mixing. Once water is mixed I can close the circulation valve and open the valve to the hose on the wall for water changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do a 100% dry rock custom scape. So I ordered about 150 lbs of BRS pukani and tonga shelf with base. The scape I wanted to do was somewhat minimal and allowed for maximum water flow around all sides. I used Marco mortar to secure the rock together.

This is what I came up with for the main display

Just to give you an idea on how big that shelf is I had my wife hold it up for reference

This is the final result in tank

ARVERLY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey where's the big tank and the QT coral tank?! Also, I thought you were using a Vertex doser?

(This is Arnel btw)

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey where's the big tank and the QT coral tank?! Also, I thought you were using a Vertex doser?

(This is Arnel btw)

Hey what's up Arnie! Im showing off the qt next. I am showing the build from start to finish. I have 2 years of photos to go through!:squigglemouth: I still have not installed the vertex doser. I was having troubles configuring it. Maybe if someone has one they can chime in and help.

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored a Visio 40 breeder from a friend of mine for free. So I decided to make it a coral qt tank. All corals will be quarantined for at least a month with close observation. Unfortunately going through my old pics I don't have many of the QT. I will go take some shots of it tonight and post them to show the finished product.

This is the only one I found. Still dirty and dusty.

Q
t equipment :
Water movement - ecotech mp-10w es x2
Return pump - Tunze silence 1073.020
Dosing - Bubble magus BMT01
ATO - JBJ ato
Skimmer - Eshopps S-120
GFO - Via Aqua poly reactor
Lighting - Ati powermodule 4x24w(apex controlled)
Controller - Neptune Aquacontroller Apex w/ milwaukee ph probe
Water cooling - Aqua euro 1/13 hp chiller(apex controlled)
Heating - Via Aqua Titanium 200w(apex controlled)

OP
OP
spsaddict

spsaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to fill up the rest of the garage with one more tank. My monster! Originally this tank was going to be all lps and softies, but my sps addiction is swaying me otherwise. It has not been easy dialing this tank in. I am currently in the process of designing a new larger sump, changing the lighting to t5, and going bare bottom. I will be on track with it in a few months.

Custom Leemar 72x30x24 eurobraced with front and left panel starphire glass.

Original sketch

Tank with scape

Equipment :
Water movement - ecotech mp-40w es x2 Tunze 6105 x2
Return pump - Reef Octopus water blaster HY-1000
Dosing - Bubble magus BMT01
ATO - Tunze Osmolator
Skimmer - Aquamaxx EM-300
GFO- Two little fishies phosban 550
Carbon- Two little fishies phosban 150
Lighting - AI hydra x4 (soon to be a Ati sunpower 8x96w)
Controller - Neptune Aquacontroller Apex w/ milwaukee ph probe
Heating - Ehiem 300w x 2

I will take some current shots of the space tonight. Stay tuned!

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude this is incredible man love what u did with your garage .......insane man keep the pics coming dont stop now lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back