OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all of the fish are improving...I don't have high hopes for the damsel though, poor fella. I suspect he was used for cycling because he's still breathing very fast even after most of the ich is gone, and he's not eating even though everyone else is. I'm considering putting him down but I want to give him the best chance I can...we will see. The other fish were attacking him whe he tried to go join them, but for some reason the sohal (bully to everyone else, he's in his own compartment) does not, so he's hanging out with him now.

I love this reef octopus 200 skimmer, but either it requires a gorilla to uncork it for cleaning or I'm a major weakling XDD

Need to remember to do my topoff before testing my parameters, LOL, especially considering it's taking about 2 1/2 gallons daily to keep it where it belongs o_O It's been sitting around 1.028 and I'm trying to get it down, but apparently I'm going a little too slowly because every morning it's right back there again, lol. Thankfully, nothing seems worse for the wear. I could really use an ATO.

I can't tell if my chalice is bleaching or just changing colors...

Got the broken Jebao powerhead replaced with a Hydor...I like it...though now I'm in debt to my Dad for around $900 total XP I'll get it paid back, I swear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1911659_10152439586917918_8533313176351821571_n.jpg
10403371_10152439586572918_1988934995143451751_n.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really must remember to do my testing AFTER topoffs...

No sign of ich now, and the treatment ends Monday. The poor damsel, though...I'm considering an experiment. I remember in one of the James Herriot books (he was a country vet) he accidentally found that in a couple of cases getting the animal to sleep for a couple of days got them to heal when nothing else would. It's risky because if I try it I could kill him, but if that happens it'll be a peaceful passing. I just need some clove oil and a couple of consecutive days where I'll be home. The reason I want to try it is that he seems to be stuck in a state of mild hypoxia, and doesn't know enough to rest. I think that if I kept the water very well-oxygenated, it might give him the chance he needs to recover. I realize it's VERY unorthodox, but as it stands he's not getting better and will most likely slowly die anyway.

I'm going to clip the eggcrate smaller when I'm sure of my rockwork; it occurred to me that my planned leopard wrasse would have a hard time distinguishing where it is and isn't, so I'll try to keep it just under the rockwork.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an AMAZING time at Reefapalooza today!

I got to meet some "celebrities" I've been wanting to for a while...Justin Credabel, Francis Yupangco, and Scott Fellman <3 Wish I had seen Mark Callahan but I didn't know he was at the show until AFTER I left.

Got a large chunk of montipora from a fragging demo...no clue how it's gonna do, because it's very brown (and bleached in places) but if this baby colors up, it'll be a terrific surprise to see what color it is!

I also acquired some Berghia Nudibranchs. Looks like I won't be needing that copperband! One sadly was DOA, but I had bought four, so I'm sure they will be okay.

The damsel appears to be improving some (though he's still not eating, he's spending less time at the surface), and my proposed experiment is not feasible, so I will now adopt the wait-and-hope approach. They will be ready to discontinue the Cupramine treatment on Monday, I believe.

I found out how to fix my skimmer so hopefully I'm not fighting so much with getting the cup off. I've been told to use silicone lubricant on its gasket. Sounds good to me...now I just gotta find some.

Things are looking up! :D

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsel passed away, poor fella :(. Everyone else seems to be doing well, though, which is a plus.

That big pagoda there in the photo I'm thinking about selling...is there enough interest to bother putting it up on the sale forum? I need to get rid of some of the green palys, as well.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna, somehow I missed this thread. I am so very sorry about the hardships you have had to endure. Praise God for your Dad! And wow, what a tank! I love tangs, especially purple tangs. I will be following.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna, somehow I missed this thread. I am so very sorry about the hardships you have had to endure. Praise God for your Dad! And wow, what a tank! I love tangs, especially purple tangs. I will be following.

HI! :D Good to see you!
I swear, if Dad knew half the things I have gone through since starting aquariumkeeping ~3 years ago, he'd never have gotten me back into it. He'd have been saying "You want to do WHAT now?!" XD

I agree, it's beautiful...I love it <3 it's great to finally have some decent equipment, as well. I've been truly blessed.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that the thick chunk of monti I got from the fragging demonstration appears to be starting to get some color. It's only developing brown at the moment, but that's a step up from the horribly bleached state it was in! I need to get a photo to post...it'll be terrific to find out what color it becomes!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that the thick chunk of monti I got from the fragging demonstration appears to be starting to get some color. It's only developing brown at the moment, but that's a step up from the horribly bleached state it was in! I need to get a photo to post...it'll be terrific to find out what color it becomes!

Hooray for the monti, glad to hear it's rebounding!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooray for the monti, glad to hear it's rebounding!
The chalice is growing, too. When I got it, it didn't reach the bottom of its rock. Tonight I had to move it because it was starting to grow around the eggcrate underneath it!

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params today, part 1:
Calcium good, maybe a little high, at 430
Alk still low at 5.9 - must adjust
Mag good at 1300

Via Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro kit

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params today, pt. 2:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
ph 7.8
Nitrate 40 (Eep! Probably from accidentally dumping the skimmer cup the other day...)
Phosphate either 0 or .25...I can't tell from this kit.

via API Master...I really need to get some new kits

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked out a rose pink urchin today...hoping it wasn't a mistake XD I guess I can always rehome him once he demolishes my hair algae, which he's working on as we speak.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank Eienna!
Looks like it is going well!
My wife has been wanting an urchin for our tank. They are really cool!

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is awesome! I see a ton of potential in this tank. I will definitely follow along!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back