What comes first?

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chicken or the egg? Actually, I am talking about family or fish tanks. Of course, it's family, but how many people have heard, "Sometimes, I think you care more about your fish than your family?"

I admit, I do talk about fish, coral, and my tanks a lot, but that is just because I love the hobby! It's the only thing I put extensive time into, besides, spending time with my family, but...

Tonight, my wife and I were talking about our big move to Japan (my wife is Japanese) and I simply stated, (kind of joking, but..not :xd:), "I wish I could find someone to take care of my 2 clowns for like a month and after we move, I could have them ship them to me in Japan." I have a bonded pair of chocolate clowns that I have grown quite fond of since I got them 6 months ago). Now, I know this is not reality and the fact is, I will have to find a suitor for these 2 when we leave :sad:, but this sparked a little heat with me and my wife and she told me, I have to think about family first and sometimes, she thinks I care about my fish more than them. I mean, really? We just got back from a 2 week vacation from California, we go on lots of seasonal outings, Japanese and American festivals, we go out to breakfasts, lunches, and dinners on many weekends, I'm in college, and I work 50-60 hours M-F. My fish tank: Gets 1 good cleaning/water change a week and if I'm that busy, every other week.

Am I wrong? Do I need to give up the hobby to spend every waking minute with my family at my side......nah!!! I love them, but :frusty:, doesn't everyone need a place to escape? I just chose the best hobby in the world to do it!!!

Anyone else deal with issues such as this? What say you? :wave:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef_Obsessed

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, 89 views and '0' replies....I guess everyone is just living the glamourous life...partners hand-in-hand, both googly-eyed over their aquariums, lol

SABOB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding a balance in life between family and any hobby takes work.Fortunately my wife allows me the time to "fiddle" with my tanks......but then again,my kids are adults now so a lot of the "Family" time is infrequent

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you man! I work 3rd shift 44 hours a week and go to college during the day. I'm not married yet but get a lot of flack from my long time girlfriend about spending any time working on my tank/ spending money. I've been saving pieces for my new tank for months now and currently have all my livestock in a Tupperware container! I don't feel like I spend too much time at all on the tank, but it is my escape from my busy busy chaotic life. I probably do spend way too much time on this forum though haha.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back