Rhino's 80 Gallon Shallow Rimless Build

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided today was the perfect day to start my build thread. I have been planning this build for a while and have finally got around to making it happen. I currently have a JBJ 30 gallon rimless AIO. It's a good tank and I will be keeping it, I plan to switch it over to a frag tank. The switch from tank to frag tank will also be included in this thread. So onto the new stuff! While I like my JBJ, it's just not big enough. I wanted something 4 ft long and about 2 ft wide, also I did not want it to be really deep. A quick internet search led me straight to the Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless frag tank. The dimensions are 4 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 16 in deep. My initial impressions are the tank quality is very nice. Glass looks good, silicone job appears good. I have read a few reviews that say the silicone was sloppy but mine was perfect. The bulkheads are a different story. They are junk. Cheap plastic. I went ahead and picked up replacement bulkheads when I picked the tank up from my LFS, so problem solved. I plan to do some diy with this build, mainly my stand, but I have some other ideas as well. More on that later, first though a parts list.

Tank: Deep Blue 80 Gallon Rimless Frag Tank
Sump: 40 Breeder
Stand: DIY
Lights: Kessil A350W Tuna Blue with Gooseneck
Skimmer: Tunze 9410
Return Pump: Mag Drive 9.5
Controller: Reef Keeper Lite
Powerheads: Hydor Koralia 1150 and 850 (have 2 of each)
ATO: Tunze Ozmolator
Heater: Aqueon Pro

That's all I have time for right now, time for a meeting at work and then pics to come this evening. Feel free throughout my ramblings to ask any questions.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pics of stand construction. We went with a pretty standard design. 2x6 frame because I did not want a center bar to be in the way. The back left corner was tricky since the overflow would have come right down on my brace. So I put a 2x6 on either side of the overflow since I could not do one in the corner.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412952941.978991.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412952967.280366.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412952982.331864.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412952997.215206.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1412953020.141219.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great already!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304721.596317.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304733.557266.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304752.230795.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413304763.110270.jpg

Here are pics of the stand all painted up. Still have to cut a hole in the top for the plumbing and build a door. I am working on some different ideas for the door, something that will add a splash of color to the stand, so it is not so white and sterile looking.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also went ahead and snapped a quick pic of the tank and sump. I think I am going to run my sump without baffles. I don't see bubbles being an issue with all of the middle being taken up by cheato. I still need to get some time where I can paint the back of the tank black as well.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413305049.389069.jpg

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... i have been putting together the rimmed version of this tank as well..

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You going to use 2 kessils?

Yes, I ordered two of the 350w from innovativegrowlights.com. Killer price. $289 each with the gooseneck, plus they have a 10% off coupon this month. So I paid right at $520 for the pair with the goosenecks. I talked to the owner and apparently they bought all of Kessil's stock on the 350's, which is why they are so cheap. Mine should be here Thursday.

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool... i am using two hydras on mine... following along to see your progress

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Kessil's were delivered today. I ordered from innovativegrowlights.com on Friday. It was the only place I could find the 350W still being sold new. Let me start by saying my experience with this company has been great. I ordered on Friday and immediately came across a 10% discount code right after I placed my order. So I called in and spoke to the owner who gave me a credit back for the 10%. We chatted for a few minutes and as I mentioned before he explained that they purchased all of Kessil's 350w remaining inventory, which is why they have so many.

The packaging was excellent with a double walled card board box and an insane amount of bubble wrap.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413432784.156146.jpg

Everything arrived in perfect shape. I did find it odd that the Kessil arms were not in any sort of package, but all the parts are there and they look brand new so who cares.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413432867.162499.jpg

Inside of the actual Kessil box everything is packaged and organized very well. I will say that one of the Kessil's appears to have been removed from the box at some point as the cables were wrapped around each other instead of zip tied. Again, not a big deal to me because everything was still in the box and was clearly still new.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413432892.366640.jpg

Enough about packaging though, onto the lights themselves....

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413433060.230141.jpg

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the box you will find an instruction leaflet, a power adapter, power cord, and power cord extender ( in case you need a longer power cord), and of course the light itself. The first thing that kind of threw me off was that the light housing is plastic. It through me off because all of the pics I saw online before buying I would have sworn it was metal, and honestly looking at it now from a distance the finish looks so good it would still pass for metal if you did not pick it up. To some the plastic may be a negative but it does not bother me.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413433746.126302.jpg

The light is very basic, with just two knobs to control the light color and intensity. I did find it odd that there is no power switch to turn the light off. If it is plugged into an outlet without a timer it is always on. Again, maybe a negative to some, but I will run it with my Reef Keeper so it won't make a different to me.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413433766.546232.jpg

I fired it up to make sure that it worked, and of course it did. The fan runs very quite and you could feel a decent amount of air coming out of it. The light produces a very nice light from an almost yellow white light, to a very crisp white light, to a very actinic light depending on how you adjust it. I tossed it over what will soon be the frag tank and the color and shimmer was amazing.....as was the coverage. I bought the W model to have a wider light coverage and it is fantastic. The tank is only 16" deep so the regular model would have been mega overkill, and with the 24"width I feel I will get great coverage from to back.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413434127.425389.jpg

I also purchased the goosenecks because the wife liked how they looked hung from them. I must say the quality of the neck is also very good, with the fit and finish matching that of the light itself. Stay tuned for a long term review as we see how well they grow coral and work long term.

Last edited:

mattm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I just picked up two Kessils myself for my planned 80g upgrade. You will be up and running before me so I am interested to see yours up and running!

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I just picked up two Kessils myself for my planned 80g upgrade. You will be up and running before me so I am interested to see yours up and running!

I hope to be up and running within the next week or two. I have everything I need except for sand. I am still debating whiz to buy.

mattm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, in my current tank I used Tropic Eden Reef Flakes and will use it in the upgrade as well. I like the look of it and it's heavy enough where it doesn't blow around

Fish76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have Kessils, but the newer model. The shimmer is pretty awesome! Nice looking stand too, I like the white since it looks very clean. When I was building my stand I was debating between white and black and ultimately went with black. I really like the white though, nice job.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have Kessils, but the newer model. The shimmer is pretty awesome! Nice looking stand too, I like the white since it looks very clean. When I was building my stand I was debating between white and black and ultimately went with black. I really like the white though, nice job.

Thanks. I usually go white. Looking for something unique though to do with the door to add some color. I almost went with the newer Kessils but the dimming via controller does not really interest me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back