bqnano's not-so-nano Frag System Build

bqnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm a fairly new member to the forum but have been a reader for a couple of years. I am in the process of building out a new frag/grow out system and wanted to share my progress.

A little history:
- I kept FOWLER tanks for a number of years while in college. After having to move my system once I vowed never to set up a new one until I was in a permanent location. After moving for work a few times over the years, I felt like we had found our permanent home and decided it was time to get a new tank. I always wanted to do a reef system so I did some research and decided on a 28 JBJ nano cube with the 89w led hood. I have added a ton of mods/upgrades to this tank... It has been running for about 2 1/2 yrs.

- I found out that my addiction to coral has surpassed the size of my tank.

So I decided it was time to go ahead and start work on my "big" system.

This started almost a year ago...

I purchased a 180 gal tank that will eventually be my display tank in what will be my new office in the basement of my home. I found out pretty quickly that the equipment costs, combined with the costs of remodeling my basement was going to be a bit cost prohibitive. So I set the tank on the floor, where it still sits, and started picking up used equipment as I could find it. In the mean time, I figured, I'll build a system where I can grow out my colonies, trade, and accumulate frags so that I have something to do while I wait for the big tank to be ready.

This is where my inability to compromise and chronic over-thinking took over and gave birth to the frag... room. Basically I have this giant laundry room that is 90% unused. This laundry room is adjacent to the future office (where the 180 will go), and to the utility room where my RODI system and water tanks are. Perfect.

System Details:

Tanks:
- 120 gal fiberglass tub (used - lfs)
- 200 lbs of Carib Sea sand (new - lfs)
- 2 20 gal acrylic tanks for upper shelf (used - lfs)
- black aragonite sand (Petco variety)

Lighting:
- Lower tank will have 3 AI Hydra's (2 used - Craigslist, still need one)
- Upper tank lighting is undetermined... would like to get the new AI fixtures shown at MACNA, but not sure when they'll be available
- Fuge light is undetermined... would love recommendations on a reasonably priced led fuge light, must be very low profile to fit

Sump:
- 70 gal -ish sump (splurged on this, ordered custom from Advanced Acrylics)
- 2 7" filter socks
- e-shoppes sno-cone 150 skimmer (used - craigslist)
- 1 8" x 8" x 4" filter block (BRS)
- Reeflo Dart Hybrid external pump (used - craigslist)
- Super Reef Octopus Calcium Reactor (used - friend)
- Biopellet Reactor (need recommendations)

Other Stuff:
- Apex System (on current tank)
- PM - 1 module & PH probe
- Breakout box & float switches for ATO

Ok, if you've made it this far I guess you deserve some pics... :smile:

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback, questions, comments...

I'll update pics as I progress

- B

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed!

The system looks Great! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

I would look into the Finnex Stingray or Finnex Ray2 . I have seen many successful planted tank journals ( I am a planted tank enthusiast as well as a reef addict) with these lights. The spectrums should be great for a refugium. Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back