Birddogs 65g Rimless

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to have a little fun with my new build! Got things wet two weeks ago today and having fun watching / testing through the cycle. Thought I'd give Dr. Tim's One and Only a try and have dosed with Ammonium Chloride. Ammonia jacked initially to 2 ppm, watched it fall to .75 ppm. Jacked ammonia again to 3 ppm and watched fall to 0 ppm. Nitrites peaked at 5 ppm and have watched them fall to approximately 1 ppm as of today. Did a 20% WC with nitrates at approximately 5 ppm and now nitrates at approximately 4 ppm with a constant increase coming from the nitrite. Pretty happy thus far! A few specifics;
  • DSA 65g Rimless
  • Trigger Systems Emerald Sump
  • Reef Octopus 160 int
  • Sicce 4.0 return
  • Apex with WXM
  • Radion G3 Pro
  • (2) MP 10's
DSC_0582.jpg
DSC_0584.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I love rimless tanks! :)

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it man looking forward to seeing how u stock this glw it

MCDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you design the plumbing in the sump? Looks phenomenal. Very clean lines.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement, I'll have to post a few new photos! Have started to stock with a couple of fish, zoas, chalice, scolymias, favia, CUC and a few frags of SPS from my last tank that is now disassembled.

MCDM, yes I did the plumbing in the sump and I found it pretty easy since in real life I'm a Golf Course Superintendent. I really wanted the "in cabinet" stuff to be efficient, well organized and clean... not a birds nest of wire and plumbing.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin GREAT!!! Whats the dimensions of the tank?

Thanks! Dimensions are 36x21x21... what part of Kansas Joker? I used to live in Tulsa and always enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors in the fall in the south central and western part of the state!!

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need pics! :)

I'm close... but not quite ready to share just yet. Just a bunch of small stuff that I fragged off the colonies I had in my nano. Sold nearly every colony I had, but fragged and saved the stuff I really loved!

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, ok .....I guess - j/k - don't think that your tank needs to be stupendous to post pics - we all like to see pics of real tanks in all kinds of stages - I'm always interested in aquascapes to be honest :)

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Dimensions are 36x21x21... what part of Kansas Joker? I used to live in Tulsa and always enjoyed spending time in the great outdoors in the fall in the south central and western part of the state!!

I'm in Wichita man! Fall in Kansas is nice but fall in Kentucky is amazing! I'm trying to talk my wife into another tank. Hee hee.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Wichita man! Fall in Kansas is nice but fall in Kentucky is amazing! I'm trying to talk my wife into another tank. Hee hee.

It was all I could do to get my wife to approve this new build... she'd kill me if she knew what I spent!

well, ok .....I guess - j/k - don't think that your tank needs to be stupendous to post pics - we all like to see pics of real tanks in all kinds of stages - I'm always interested in aquascapes to be honest :)

Ok ok, if I get a spare moment this weekend I may snap a photo or two...:squigglemouth:

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd post a few photos of the frags in the new build... I'm just about 10 weeks since I got the system wet. Truthfully it's been a learning process with my Radion G3 Pro... started at 30% maximum intensity as nearly all of the coral was / is a frag from my compact florescent nano. Was primarily at 12k and raised overall intensity to 40% started to see some bleaching, then fell back to 32% maximum intensity. Changed to somewhat of a modified 18k and now I'm back up to 40% intensity with a 1% increase every 2 to 3 days. My SPS is rather brown and I'm thinking I just do not have enough light intensity yet to get them to color up. Sorry about the photos... a little blurry (need a better tripod) and I need a macro lens:squigglemouth:.
DSC_0595.jpg
DSC_0598.jpg
DSC_0599.jpg
DSC_0602.jpg
DSC_0607.jpg

BayouCityReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how's that Trigger Emerald working out for you so far? Is that the 26 or the 34?
I have the same exact DSA 65 Rimless and looking for a sump w/fuge.

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how's that Trigger Emerald working out for you so far? Is that the 26 or the 34?
I have the same exact DSA 65 Rimless and looking for a sump w/fuge.

You may have seen my post yesterday in a different thread, but I am very pleased with the Trigger Systems Emerald ... it's a 26. I feed my corals quite a bit and the sump with the filter sock, skimmer, chaeto and matrix really seem to soak up the resulting nutrients. It's well built, and probably a little expensive, but what's not expensive.

I really need to post a few new photos as nearly everything has colored up well and is growing... and the rock is no longer dead, it's aliiiiive!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,pls share some more pics :D also Which brand of salt are you using?

I hope to have the opportunity to take a few photos this weekend... actually looking forward to it if I can get the chance. I've tried both Red Sea products and have found at least at this time my parameters are fairly easy to maintain with Red Sea Pro.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back