Vodka???

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should I use vodka and how would I dose it? Seems like a lot of work. Input please.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eats out Nitrates in the tank. You actually set the Nitrate number and can hold it there with ease. It will eat some Phosphates out, but thats a minor number.
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com
Dosing Vodka: Why? | Melev's Reef

Now, Mel gives you a starting point, and shows you how to progress to bring Nitrates down. If you don't want to wait 7 months for this to happen, give me your tank size, and I can give you a rough estimate of how much you are going to need to bring down Nitrates and what your daily dose would be in the end. Also, I can give you a different daily dosing number to bring them down faster, without harming anything.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your reef is running great no shots per night. If you develop hair algae, drink one shot per night, cyano drink two shots per night, dinoflagellates drink three shots per night. Note: this will not help your reef, but help you cope with the ups and downs of reef keeping.

OP
OP
EHerbert

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Culater94, you're sick... hahaha. Reef Madness, my readings are In order but it's 29 gallons (20 actual water).

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Culater94 on this one. My clowns are named Grey & Goose for a reason! But I will follow along in hopes of learning to dose a less expensive version.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that vinegar takes 8x more than vodka. It's really pretty cheap and easy once you get the hang of it. I replace a $10 bottle every 3 months or so. Other than that I never have to touch it. I check nitrates from time to time, but it keeps them pretty low. I started dosing nitrate to stay around 1ppm. I keep carbon dosing to feed the tank.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallons? Youd only be dosing like 2-4mls a day for daily routine maintenance, and around 8-10 would be the bring down nitrates dose.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are less likely to get cyano from vinegar than vodka. True story.

Sweet7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29 gallons? Youd only be dosing like 2-4mls a day for daily routine maintenance, and around 8-10 would be the bring down nitrates dose.

Could you be a little more specific on the 2-4mls? Is it start with 2 and work to 4 or work up to 8-10? how would that work? I have a 29g that I'm considering dosing with vodka and have been doing some research but nothing is really catered to the nanos.

tjewell78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vodka dosing

I am new to the vodka or vinegar dosing so how would i begin with a 55 gallon with 15 gallon sump?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EdansClownHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your reef is running great no shots per night. If you develop hair algae, drink one shot per night, cyano drink two shots per night, dinoflagellates drink three shots per night. Note: this will not help your reef, but help you cope with the ups and downs of reef keeping.

LOL!!!! :tongue:

chrishk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys I am in need of some advice. I have been in this hobby for 3 years now and my aquariums always seem to have a few issues. I realized that as much as I thought I knew and the effort I put in, I could never stay on top of things and my aquariums never looked as good as I hoped. Ich, Aptasia, coral dying. After moving my 250 Gal to my new house I decided to hire "professionals" to take care of everything around two years ago. This was not cheap with people coming every week, but my tank was looking great for a period of time. Since then I have been through 2 different companies. I have run in to the same issue with each company, I am not strict enough with them and they start missing appointments and there are issues. After an issue with Ich a few months back I tested my aquarium which I was told was (doing fine) and my nitrates were off the charts (200+!) I doubt they have been doing much for 6+ months other than billing me and cleaning the glass.

Finally I decided I am the only one I trust with my aquarium! It is time for me to get educated, stop flushing money down the toilet literally ;) and take over! I have some of the "best" equipment an Apex controller, UV sterilizer, big new skimmer and nice pumps all at the advice of my "professionals." I even recently bought a denitrator (this has been a mess) and was more of an impulse buy (oh **** my nitrates are crazy)

What I need to do now is get my Nitrates under control! Even with a denitrator it would take years to cycle my 250 Gal- 75 Gal sump. With only a few drops per second. I have been doing weekly water changes (30%), gravel vaking but I think I need to do something more aggressive.

I stumbled this vodka thread and was hoping to get some advice. What can I do to drop Nitrates down enough to start enjoying my aquarium again? All of my nice things are dead, I have a few fish, mushrooms and a few rose anemones but my once glorious aquarium now makes me sad. I need advice before I just give up and sell the thing :( All my other basic tests (PH, Nitrite, Amonia) are good.

How can I drop these nitrates to non-toxic levels ASAP? What would you guys recommend? Would Vodka be an Option?

saltaddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eats out Nitrates in the tank. You actually set the Nitrate number and can hold it there with ease. It will eat some Phosphates out, but thats a minor number.
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com
Dosing Vodka: Why? | Melev's Reef

Now, Mel gives you a starting point, and shows you how to progress to bring Nitrates down. If you don't want to wait 7 months for this to happen, give me your tank size, and I can give you a rough estimate of how much you are going to need to bring down Nitrates and what your daily dose would be in the end. Also, I can give you a different daily dosing number to bring them down faster, without harming anything.
Could you give me a dosing rate on a 220g tank? I've currently been dosing for two weeks and ramping up slowly with no change in nitrates yet.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me a dosing rate on a 220g tank? I've currently been dosing for two weeks and ramping up slowly with no change in nitrates yet.

How much are you dosing now?

I think you can speed up the dose ramp rate a lot relative to the recommendations in those articles. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back