36g Shallow AIO

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a thread on nano-reef, but I hope to have a much larger tank one day, so I came to join in on the fun here!
I set this tank up about a month ago, moving everything from my tiny old 10g. I'm hoping to learn how to use a proper camera (not my phone lol) by taking pictures and videos of my tank as it progesses.

Here's the latest video:

[video=youtube;GShjWkH7NDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShjWkH7NDQ[/video]

Latest FTS (11/17/2014):

diBXwlx.jpg

FTS 10/19/2014 (1st day it was up):

AFs5Udvh.jpg

Equipment:
  • Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0 [not sure if this is enough, it gives a very gentle flow]
  • Wavemaker: WP-10
  • Lights: 144w Cree Chinese LEDs (Channel 1: 16 White 10000K, Channel 2: 17 Royal Blue 450-465nm, Channel 3: 8 , Purple 420nm - 2 Red 620nm - 2 Green 520nm, Channel 4: 3 Moonlight Blue 465-485nm)
  • ATO: Smart ATO
  • Skimmer: Tunze 9004
  • Heater: ViaAqua Titanium Heater

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Primo Reef Acrylics build. This is glass however, not acrylic lol.

ah ic. I dont see that many shallow AIO so I figured this was a custom build? If so, do you mind telling me the estimate cost? Shallow tank is my fav and I been researching my next tank upgrade from my 12g shallow.

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ic. I dont see that many shallow AIO so I figured this was a custom build? If so, do you mind telling me the estimate cost? Shallow tank is my fav and I been researching my next tank upgrade from my 12g shallow.
Yup it's custom :)

For the cost, it was actually really comparable to getting an off the shelf AIO. I was looking at getting a Cadlights 34g tank, but up here in Canada, Ifound going custom was not too much more. I also got thicker glass and was able to design the back compartments to fit the equipment I wanted.

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a baby yellow tang I had in QT. It makes the tank look a lot bigger than it is b/c of it's size. Yellow tang should be good in there for a while before I need to move it (a bigger tank in another space is in the plans :D)

SIjgLn4.jpg

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the tank.

Been battling some cyano for the past month. I've added a bag of phosguard when it started, and just plan to continue weekly water changes. Hopefully they'll go away soon.

Also got a sudden infusion of coral haha. Got some new pieces mid december: green scoly, white bubble, a couple of favias and a monticap frag. And now holding a bunch for a friend, so the tank is looking pretty full, at least temporarily :)

HzitxSxh.jpg

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tang def looks bigger. I love the current tank more :) it's beautiful with all the corals blooming in there. :thumb:

-Y

And you're right, the tang has gotten bigger! Didn't notice till now. He's gonna need a bigger home soon lol

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I like the aquascaping. I've used chemipure elite and lights off for 3 days with success for cyano.

OP
OP
J

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup, I like the aquascaping. I've used chemipure elite and lights off for 3 days with success for cyano.
Thanks! I've increased my flow and the cyano looks to be slowly going away. Can't say for sure yet. But I may try the 3 day blackout if it persists.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back