100g Lion King REbuild

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I name our tanks. At one point we had millions of JBJs and more than one in a room. We had to name them to have a conversation. I don't miss those days.

This is a rebuild, because we've had the tank a number of years. It's empty right now, so we are going to change a bunch of things with it and get it going with different fish. I named it Lion King, because we are going to put a volitans in there, and they are the King of the lions. Hey, we're all got a little case of crazy, to be in this hobby..... don't be looking at me strangely :)

This tank was set up in a different house and looked like this.

tank900.jpg

In this house, the tank had a different group of hooligans. I don't have a picture, but here's a video before we tore it down.

[video=youtube;ORmBSVICl3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORmBSVICl3g&list=UUBvV41d_gXMfrYCCRct8Q3w[/video]

We tore it down because we want to move it, change out the plumbing, new pump, new rock, new fish.... new everything, really.

Originally the tank was situated between 2 windows. We want to bring it over to the corner.

wholeroom_zps775b678f.jpg

Looking down from the stairs.

topdown_zpscc0eb613.jpg

Now the window looks stupid and we didn't need all that natural light. So, we did the unthinkable..... we covered the window.

Our new window "cover" drying.... once again proving I'm a little crazy.

null_zpsf88290b1.jpg

This tank originally had a Little Giant. Yesterday I ordered a Reeflo Dart/Snapper Gold Hybrid pump, from one of the sponsors here, Aquacave. They had the best price and I've ordered from them before.

Reeflo Dart / Snapper GOLD Hybryd Water Pump - AquaCave.com

The first thing we have to do, is get all the wood a matching stain. The hardwood floor is a different color than the stair railing, which is also different from the stand color. That's a nasty stinky job, so I'm going to get it out of the way as soon a possible. I find staining scary to the point of procrastination, so y'all nag me if I don't start it this week. LOL.

Yesterday, I actually bought one of the fish to go in here. They will be going in a 24g QT tank first. Once again, I bought from one of your sponsors here, Reef Lounge. You guys have great connections!

Rhinopias WYSIWYG - Fish Aquarium Design, Livestock and Maintenance I'm going to pick him up later this week. Very excited to be getting a new fish.

And that's about as far as we've gotten. I can't wait to get the pump and get this puppy running! I hope y'all will give some input on a few issues I know will come up.

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With limited skills in the SW/reefing area, I don't know any issues I may be able to help with if any, but I'll definitely offer my skills in the nagging and cheering section, lol. It's 8 am where I am. Have you started any prep work for the staining project yet ? Whatcha waiting for ? Let's go !!!

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that, lol. I'll try to refrain from that kind of commentary but just in case,I'd probably swallow what you got before reading anything from me. [emoji23][emoji106]

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where she will be, when were done. Ignore the LED pot lights. I wasn't moving all those for a better picture. LOL!

itstarts2_zpsf8832beb.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm committed to the upgrade now. I removed the doors and the top and bottom trim.

stand_zps2aa777c5.jpg

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to paint the stand black, instead of staining. Our appliances are black, so the color will "fit in".

Going on a drive today, to pick up one of the fish for this tank..... gonna have to stop to visit some fish stores along the way.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His training has begun.

[video=youtube;PUrU6UWET-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUrU6UWET-k&list=UUBvV41d_gXMfrYCCRct8Q3w[/video]

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sweet LL. Does it get a paint brush or a roller to help with painting the stand ??

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're into child labour as well? That's a juvie. For shame.

Cracking up over here !!! Nah, I just figured it was more like a parent/child relationship. Some small chores in exchange for free meals and a nice place to live [emoji12].

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean you let your kids out of the basement!! You're brave.

After he slurped his guppy, you can see him rock with pure delight.

[video=youtube;1ZbvvIzhfi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZbvvIzhfi0&list=UUBvV41d_gXMfrYCCRct8Q3w[/video]

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh fantabulous!!! There was still water in the closed loop. It smells like a 100lb turbo snail, up and died in my house. To make matters even MORE fantabulous, this is the first day of rain we've had all year and it's pouring....... so much so, I can't open the windows just yet.

Karma, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?

*gag**cough**choke*

Someone hand me a Yankee candle.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still priming and sanding.... priming and sanding.

prime_zpsdf716f3b.jpg

But on a brighter note.... I have a sexy new pump.

pumpgold_zps94280ac0.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back