Mike's 150G SC Aquarium Build

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I wanted to share my build with all you fine ladies and gentleman.

The tank is currently in the build/gather equipment phase so I'll list the things I've gathered so far in a little bit.

I've been in the hobby for about 4 years now. Have had a variety of tanks and different style systems. We have just moved into a new house and this will be a very fun adventure.

Current equipment list:

SC Aquarium 150 Gallon Starfire and eurobraced:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417044754.801596.jpg

Bubble King Double Cone 200 w/ Red Dragon Speedy Pump

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417044836.739021.jpg

PacSun Kore 5th Doser:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417046048.928845.jpg

Vertex V6 Return Pump:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417046083.057246.jpg

Apex controller will be ordered on Friday.

Current light is from my previous tank, 48" 8 bulb Tek light, planning on an T5/LED hybrid in the future.

In tank flow is currently 2 MP40's

Heaters will be two Jager 300w controlled by the apex.

Sump will be an acrylic design of my own to incorporate macro algaes and a frag section.

That's it for now,

Happy Reefing!

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start, I would like to hear some more on that doser once it's up and going. On paper it seems to be the best stand alone doser out there!

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about that doser as well. I have their lights and they're amazing so far, can't go wrong with the doser!

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was sold on paper and I read through the large thread that is dedicated to it on the other forum. I really like its versatility. I already have the tunze osmolator so I didn't need the pro with optical sensor.

The tank will be a mixed reef that's fish heavy so I will be dosing a variety of things.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of nice stuff there! I really like the tank!

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple new things in the mail today. Keeping with the red and white theme in the sump area :)

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417480495.702113.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1417480505.156319.jpg

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your build been going? I specifically want to know how you like the tank itself? I'm thinking of getting the SC Aquariums 90 gallon. The tanks look like they are nice quality but want to know from someone who actually has one.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's SC stand for with your aquarium? Also, what are your dimensions? Can't wait to see some progress on this tank:)

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your build been going? I specifically want to know how you like the tank itself? I'm thinking of getting the SC Aquariums 90 gallon. The tanks look like they are nice quality but want to know from someone who actually has one.

The build has been going well, unfortunately a little slower than I would have hoped. I started building a stand and when the frame was done, I was not happy with how it turned out, so I'm in the process of redoing it, just needs to be skinned and painted and it will be good to go. Also waiting on my sump to be finished having a custom but simple acrylic sump being built. It will be 48x20x15. That will be done by the end of week. So far I'm impressed with the quality and look with the tank, glass and silicone. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the 1/2 inch return. But that doesnt bother me too much as I'm going to be running the returns over the back of the tank and use the 1 inch line as the main drain and the 1/2 inch as the emergency.

What's SC stand for with your aquarium? Also, what are your dimensions? Can't wait to see some progress on this tank:)

SC is just part of the company's name. I bought it from "SC Aquarium" tank is 60x24x24.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it's moving forward! I was actually going to send you an email today to see how it was going.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it's moving forward! I was actually going to send you an email today to see how it was going.

Ya it's moving forward at a snails pace. Been super busy with work, travel and coaching so it's been hard to dedicate long hours to the tank build. Once the stand is complete it should go a little faster.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I'm not a fan of is the 1/2 inch return. But that doesnt bother me too much as I'm going to be running the returns over the back of the tank and use the 1 inch line as the main drain and the 1/2 inch as the emergency.

Just know that it won't be much of an emergency if you get a real clog.
An emergency drain needs to be able to handle all the flow of the primary drain.
Maybe you can plumb it so the primary is an open channel, and the e-drain is a siphon.

Nice looking sump! Who built it? :)
And I like the red pvc.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just know that it won't be much of an emergency if you get a real clog.
An emergency drain needs to be able to handle all the flow of the primary drain.
Maybe you can plumb it so the primary is an open channel, and the e-drain is a siphon.

Nice looking sump! Who built it? :)
And I like the red pvc.

I have thought about that, how much flow can a half inch drain handle if it's on a full siphon?

Yea I have a pretty serious red and white theme going on under the sump so I figured I'd attempt to be like all the other tanks I've seen with the attention to detail and making a unique setup.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a peek at that site, looks like half inch would be able to handle just about 700GPH which is more than plenty for what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up another MP40 due to the price drop. This will make 3 MP40's. Two on the back wall and one on the left panel. This will provide an unobstructed view from the living room thru the front panel and from the kitchen and dining room I'll be able to see through the right panel.

People asked why I didn't go with the gyre for the same price, I just don't feel comfortable with the first release of a product and with vortechs being tried and true it was a no brainier for me. With the next few releases and updates of the gyre, hopefully with a controllable controller (if that makes sense) and maybe some other improvements I will def try one out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back