New member.....New tank after 6 years away...200g

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

So I joined the forum a few days ago and got a real good welcome from a lot of members, just as I was hoping. " Brit in Texas" new members forum.

I have always loved checking out new builds and the progress people make for this addictive, expensive hobby of ours. So seen as though I now live here in USA, new home, green light from the wife!....thought I would start my " diary/log" and share it with y'all.

I was a fellow reef keeper in the UK some years ago but life took a turn in a different direction. I have since found my wife, laid my anchor in Texas and can now get back into building my tank I have always wanted.

As of today i have a new 200g tank, stand, sump etc etc on order so this is gonna be a progressive build. quick spec check:

200g main display, central overflow, 3x 1"drain 2x ¾" return. PM 36+ refugium sump, BM skimmer, 2x MP40, Radeon 30w PRO (first time with LED, always been a halide man)....undecided on Calcium reactor or balling method (if i can get the Dastaco reactor from europe it will be that)...Apex full controller eventually, ozone etc etc........the sump pipework will be a custom manifold from return to run reactors, GFO etc when needed. Less pumps in the sump as possible!. Anyhow I plan on having mostly SPS in the end.....As much gadgets and full automation as possible as I work away for a month and a month home. Im sure there is a number of things I have not mentioned here but you will all see.

For now all I can do is get the basics ready and today I took delivery of a few packages. So after a few years out it begins again.

garage 1.jpg
Garage 2.jpg
Garage 3.jpg

So i need to T off the main garage water supply to my workshop area, gonna involve a bit of digging outside...an extended 3 car garage but I need the supply at the opposite side. T's, trench, valves, elbows at the ready.

Cheap laundry sink (to be plumbed), 2 x 35 gallon tanks for RO and mix (Sorry, kinda stole the idea from a member here),

RO unit with booster pump to be rigged up...and as you can see a few gadgets for water checks.

Today I built the 2x workstations you can see....i have another expensive hobby that needs this.

Just trying to get as much done before the tank is ready!!

.............................here we go again?!?

Ian

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Ian, looks like your off to a great start, tagging along for the build.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same containers for my mixing station, they work well.
185961d1413303895-fish-tank-room-7-mixing-station.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get a couple of things done in between family stuff.

Anyne any opinions with the RO booster pump placement. I know some place the pump before the membrane. personally I'm gonna go straight from supply.

However, the shutoff pressure switch did get me thinking, before DI or after...its before the DI right now..

Mounted the float in the top RO tank as well as building the first shelf for the RO top tank...bought loads of different valves fittings etc etc.

The shelf was put up completely on a whim after we dined out with margaritas and fajitas.....haha

However, maybe someone can help me out here....for the mixing pump I have an Ehiem 1200....ive managed to get a fitting for the suction side so I can rig up ½" pvc....however I am really struggling for a crossover for the pump outlet..it looks like a ⅜" NPT...i need to adapt this to ½"...anyone help here...seems like the usual stores don't have this...well in pvc anyway....all help appreciated. see pic.

On a good note...3 x Radeon 30w PRO's ordered with RMS mounts.....

RO 1.jpg
Float Ro.jpg
Tank 1.jpg
Garage 5.jpg
Ehiem 1.jpg

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Avasquez,

Don't suppose you know where I could pick one of these up in stores anywhere...

May try LFS today

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in City Pets in Houston last week they might have it... give them a call don't know if that's close to you or not?

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the photo ..... Using my phone whilst waiting on a replacement battery for mac

paul4140

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work so far. I have been out of the hobby for 6-7 years like you and I am now cycling my new tank. I guess you can say I have relapsed . :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing station looks great, did you find the PVC adapter you needed?

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative on the fitting....got a ⅜" brass fitting with a ½" bushing..... But I'm not liking the idea of epoxy and brass in the pump.

Gonna go and pay city pets a visit right now.... Wanna check that place out anyways..

Today I need to dig a 30' trench to t off my water supply so I have a water outlet where I need it..

Trench shovel at the ready!!!

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time at city pets in Houston today...those guys will try and sell you anything.

Anyway at least they had the pvc adapter I needed..

Bought a lot of Red Sea test kits.

No progress on main water supply do to crappy weather

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you all like pictures......heres some of my current project, pre tank. Trench and main water supply addition.

Only managed to take out 1 old pipe with a trench shovel. Part of zone 7 on the irrigation. Repaired now, hard piped in. Missed the shed power supply lines as well on the backside of the garage.!!

So i decided to pressure test the line........and POP.....turns out I missed out 1 solvent weld before the pipe goes in the garage.....welded now...pressure test tomorrow.

Just realized, I think I am obsessed with isolation valves.....a bit excessive on the outlet I know.....gonna plumb in a laundry sink and the ro will run off a 2 valve manifold.

Also T'd the RO production line. I want to be able to isolate the supply to the top tank, just for when new DI or membrane is installed. Also want to be able to just run off a bit of RO for washing vials and pieces during testing. Always nice.

RO 1.jpg
Sink 1.jpg

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know y'all like tank pics but mine is not ready.

Update- all pipe work for main supply pressure tested, all good... Buried in the earth.

Modified the ro system for a DI bypass.

Started RO production on the system... Adjust boost pump to 75 psi, produced 70g.. Tested salt mix setup.. No leaks anywhere and all is good.

The dilemma is which salt to use!!!!!

image.jpg

OP
OP
I

ianf77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all,

Long story short...i work offshore so been away for a while.

Looks like I will be home on 15th after a full christmas and new year away............the good news is my tank and stand is ready for delivery!!!

Also have all my equipment ready to setup........cant wait to get started.

Equipment list:

Full APEX Gold system, including Ecotech module, auto feeder, leak detector, extra EB8 power.....DOS dual pump
3 x Radion 30wPro fixtures with both lense types available. 3 x RMS mounts
2 x MP40 ES with 2 x Battery backups
Custom 210g DSA Pro with reactor manifold.....Herbie style 3x drain 2xreturn......DC10000 return running external.
PM R36+ Sump....refugium lamp
BM skimmer NAC 7 or something.
Tunze auto top off

Dont need the calcium reactor just yet......will be looking at the DaStaCo model from Belgium I think.

Not got any reactors for GFO or anything yet.

Big One........no rock just yet...just 20 bags of fiji pink live sand......still undecided on dry rock cure or live rock import...and then aquascaping.

Anyway...trying to automate as much as possible...minimal care for the wife when I am away....

I need to figure out how I am going to setup my auto water change given my mixing station is in the garage and tank at the front study in the house????...any ideas????

Cant wait to get the electrics up and running...loads of gadgets to play with....i dont think I will have any livestock in this project till 3 months time....probably just keep rock cycling during my next trip away. Or tank running without livestock, that way I can get used to monitoring, etc whilst away......oh and a camera!!

Any advice or ideas is appreciated...thankyou

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back