140 gallon dd

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my 55 to a 140dd. The 55 is not reef ready, and is currently leaking, so this is my first time delving into the world of plumbing. Does anyone have any advice (or links) to plumb this bad boy?

Also, I'm researching the pros and cons to a deep sand bed. I'm leaning more and more towards adding it. Anyone think otherwise? I'll be building the stand this week. I'll update as this project progresses.

140dd.jpg

Attachments

• 140dd.jpg
    140dd.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 360

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you plumb it is ultimately up to you. I would suggest using PVC and lots and lots of unions. Keep it simple since making things too complex makes for a terrible time troubleshooting along with it looks ugly if it's all plumbed in the sump. As for DBS I don't have any preference.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do a DSB in the tank.
If it ever turns on you, you need to tear down the whole tank.
Look into doing a remote DSB maybe.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost finished with the frame. Do you guys think I need to add a center brace or can I leave it as is? Not gonna go with the dsb...looking into a remote bed. Any recommendations on skimmers?
tankframe.jpg

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
standwtim.jpg

Got some trim done and skinned. Messed up on the front skin a bit but I think the cabinet doors will cover the line up just fine.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank sealed and primed. Tomorrow I will paint. In the meantime, I have to clean my kitchen. The horrors of building things in winter time...

paintedstand.jpg

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! As far as plumbing advice. I'd recommend using an over the back return pipe and using your overflows as dual Herbie's so they will be dead silent. I also prefer hard PVC for all my plumbing.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tankandlight.jpg

Picked up my return today. I'm going to be using a quiet one 6000. Friday some friends are coming over to help me move the tank onto the stand. The sump is almost finished. Everything is moving along nicely.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank on the stand, sump is almost finished. I have one more baffle to add. I'm having a bit of trouble with the bulkheads in the overflows. I'm not sure if it's because I'm over tightening or what but the return ones are leaking a bit whenever I add water to test. Anyone have any advise on how to get a tight seal?

tankonstand.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gasket goes on the flange side and not on the nut side. Hand tighten and then a 1/4 turn more with a wrench.

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it to seal...finally. I bought a new overflow kit and that did the trick. Now onto attaching the sump plumbing...

OP
OP
M

Masgatigata

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got as much scraped off the overflows as I could. Not sure if I love the scape. Think I might need some more rock. I've got about 100lbs. Can't wait for it to finish cycling. I'm on day 2 lol.

tankrocksandlight.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that tank looks really, really nice. I like your scape and love the white stand with the trim you put on. I also really like the light you have. Nice work!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back