TheSaint216's Upgraded 75 Tonga Tank

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 30 gallon Deep Blue shallow and wanted to Upgrade. Scored a 75 Gallon Tank on Craigslist for $200. Slightly used and the stand was completely bare and ready to be refinished. So here we go.

Equipment List
75 Gallon Reef Ready Tank
Reef Octopus Space Saver 150
Next Reef MR1 Reactor
Quantum T5 Badboy 6 Bulb T5
Jebao RW 15
Jebao WP 25 and WP 10, Will be replaced with a RW 8
Bubble Magus Doser
ReefKeeper Controller

Old tank
f7yK8zR.jpg

New Tank

Zj9LGdi.jpg

The Stand Had no backing or bottom so I added both and primed with Zinnser and painted the inside with Rustoleum

XBrVGve.jpg

Outside of the stand was lightly sanded and I decided to go with a Weathered Grey Stain and Poly. After everything was dry I siliconed the bottom of the inside of the stand
and put 4 coats of clear polycrylic on everything.

lFQ6avL.jpg

Back of the Tank was painted Black and this quickly became a hangout spot for my kids. I had to do this whole project in the second bathroom of our Apartment. The girlfriend loved it

IuoOsjo.jpg

Ive been working 6 days a week so my time was limited to get this done. I had the water made up in a 55 gallon drum so I could do the Changeover quick. Came home from work on Night when I had a day off the next day and hit it. Started at 8pm and finished at 3am.

iATP8P6.jpg

For this build I wanted to Try something different. I keep reading about Hydroponic Fixtures so I wanted to give it a shot. This is the Quantum T5 Badbody. 6 Tube Light. 2 bulbs share a single reflector. Went with a fellow local refers suggestion and I am running ATI coral plus and Blue Plus. Corals didnt react well to being changed over so quickly so I am just running 4 tubes as of now.

psGJy7H.jpg

Reflectors

RfVFG8u.jpg

Got everything installed under the tank and I really want to get the wiring situated. I look at that and quickly close the doors because it bugs me. Im trying to find Wire Duct locally.
Im not really happy with the size of the sump so thats one thing I would like to Upgrade in the near Future. The way this sump was designed it will have to be a 2 piece sump.

04QG3P9.jpg

Here's a shot so far after I put the Rock in the Right hand side. Found it at a Local LFS where I got my original rock from and I wanted to keep it all Tonga.

vwe6eDs.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lookin' good! :thumb:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! And the stand looks pretty sturdy. I've passed on several Craiglist 'deals' because the stands look...not so great.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back