Michael's DSA 155G Build

mkern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I recently got back into the hobby after a 4 year absence. I used to have an Oceanic 75G but broke it down when I moved. I finally bit the bullet and went with a DSA. I had been posting over on RC but subscribed to the R2R facebook page and decided to sign up over here.

Tank:

Deep Sea Aquatics 155G Pro 6' long x 2' wide x 21" tall.

The tank has 3 1" drains and 2 3/4" returns with a center overflow.

I used 200lb of dry/base rock from Carib Sea (South Sea Base Rock), 40LB of Live Rock, and 160lb of CaribSea coarse sand. I went with the sugar sized on my last tank and really didn't care much for the dust clouds.

Other equipment:

40g Sump, AquaMaxx CO-3 Skimmer, 2x Jebao RW-15, 2x Eheim Jager 250W heaters, BRS 6 Stage RODI, Neptune Apex Gold Controller.

Pictures along the way:

OP
OP
M

mkern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far looking good how long has it been up and running

Thanks! It's a work in progress for sure. I am just glad I finally have a tank to work on again. I missed it! It's been up about 6 weeks now.

Nice landscape! Can't wait to see how your DSA gonna turn out!!:bigsmile:

-Yating

Thanks, The base rock didn't leave me a lot of options. It went together like lego's but that didn't really help the aquascaping. It has more depth than the pictures capture. I am holding out for another good piece or three to help me mix things up a little bit. I really like the tank so far, as I mentioned above I am just happy to have one again. I was out of it way to long!

OP
OP
M

mkern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, like lego's? Good luck with the fixing up! When you think you can start getting corals and some fish in :eek:oh:

I have added a few things I Just haven't got any updated pictures yet. I need to get some camera filters so the blue doesn't take over my camera when I take the picture. :)

I started with a 2 black and white Ocellaris clowns and some zoa's and palys. On the stock list next is a blue tang, yellow tang for fish and hammer head, candy cane, etc. Updated pictures to come as things progress!

OP
OP
M

mkern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would provide an update. Everything has been going great. Tank has really been taking off. I recently picked up a used 55G Tank/Stand for $100 so I got that going and offloaded a bunch of the base rock to it. I don't really care for the base rock at all and wish I would have gone premium as all I did was end up buying rock twice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back