New 75g Reef Tank

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I need a little help making some decisions on this reef tank that I just purchased.
I bought it used off of Craigslist and it came with a bunch of equipment and everything...

75g tank with a 1500gph glass holes overflow
30g trigger systems sump with a skimmer and refugium section
RO/DI unit and extra filters
2 bulb T5 light
Pre-manufactured black stand
some base rock that needs to be cleaned

I have a few questions to get started...

Has anyone heard of or used the Jebao DC sump pumps? They look pretty nice for the price and have some options on them which set them apart from other pumps. If you don't like those,... what sump pump would you go with and how many gph on an sps reef tank?

My overflow from glass holes was cut to fit in the center of the tank. Should I drill one return hole in one corner, or should I drill two- one for each corner?

The skimmer section of the sump is kind of small, .. is there a protein skimmer that is a decent one that is space saving and could fit in a 8x8 section and not be crowded? I'm looking for brand names or specific skimmers that you would use. I am also going to go with an SPS dominated reef tank for the most part and need something that can really pull out some gunk.

Thank you for all of the advice!

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received one yesterday for my 90g build. I got the DC-6000 ($86 Amazon) which has a peak flow of 1,500ph and around 700ph at five to six feet. I will test those flow rates later and post the results.

The overall all build quality is pretty good I am highly impressed.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I am going with a Proflex model 4 sump on my 90g. I got it for $120, it was never used. You could get away with the model 2 or 3 but bigger is always better.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished messing around. I used a 6 foot length of 1" tubing with the sump on the first step in my pool. At around 12 inches of head it filled a 5 gallon bucket in about 15 seconds, which is around 1200gph. At 5 feet of head, which is roughly what I will be set up for, it managed to fill the bucket in 25 seconds, which is around 720gph.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its losing around 125gph for each foot of head, so the max output was 1325gph. That is down a pipe so at the manifold its probbaly a little higher but not quite the volume on the specs but I bet that goes for most pumps.

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dc-6000 and wish I would have got the dc-9000. The one I have works fine and I have it teed to feed my fuge. I would get the 9000 because of I wanted to feed something else I think I might be a little low on power. It is about as quiet as you can get. The glass-holes overflow will make more noise than the pump. I think the 9000 is about $30 more than the 600p. I drilled my tank for overflow and return. I think 1 return is plenty for a 75. Plus the more fitting you have the less flow. Look at the Jebao RW-8 for power head I have one of those and it is great. I'm going to add another soon. You could get all the flow you need out of 2 of those.

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is one good thing with the Jebao pumps, easily turned up or down. Probably better with the larger one and running it at 50-70%

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to know about the Jebao pumps.

A friend of mine is thinking of selling me his Vortech MP40s for cheap as well. I think it's worth it to have vortechs over the Jebao RWs. I think you kinda get what you pay for in this hobby.

Anyone have any skimmer recommendations? I want to be able to feed this system pretty heavy and still maintain great water quality.

For now I have a used Reef Octopus 105g HOB skimmer that I can use until I buy an in-sump skimmer.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to know about the Jebao pumps.

A friend of mine is thinking of selling me his Vortech MP40s for cheap as well. I think it's worth it to have vortechs over the Jebao RWs. I think you kinda get what you pay for in this hobby.

Anyone have any skimmer recommendations? I want to be able to feed this system pretty heavy and still maintain great water quality.

For now I have a used Reef Octopus 105g HOB skimmer that I can use until I buy an in-sump skimmer.

Ahh, forget the Vortech's and go with the Gyre XF130. They are great pumps and you would just need one. :)

Looking forward to the build! :)

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gyre sounds tempting, but I'm using what I got now, and if I can spring for a Vortech for cheaper than a gyre, then I'm in.

I just went through my inventories again. I had some really good stuff stashed away. I'm not sure if I want to use my Reef Octopus calcium reactor on this build though without having pH monitors both inside the reactor and in the tank. I just don't know about all of that. I have it available and may use it still, but for right now it's not in the plans. Maybe down the line when I feel more comfortable again using it. The plan right now for supplements is simply two part dosing.

Anyways, what I have on hand:

Neptune Apex Jr. with temp probe
Two little fishies phosphate reactor
Various Maxijet powerheads
JBJ Auto Top off system
Aqualifter pump for the ATO.
150w jäger glass heater soon to be replaced
Two modded Maxijet powerheads soon to be replaced
60lbs live sand
20lbs aragonite
GFI to be installed
Airwaterice ReefKeeper typhoon Iii RO/DI unit.

Three major things have to happen before I can fill the tank.
1: I have to get the trailer braced and leveled up properly. This is being done tomorrow.
2. I need to beef up my RO unit because the TDS of my city water is well over 1500ppm. This means catalytic carbon, silica buster filter, and two extra micron sediment filters. This city water is junk. It seems like it is sure to give people cancer. I Need to do a whole house filtration soon, I hate showering in brown water. Lol!!!
3: the aquarium needs to be properly plumbed in and a return pump needs to be purchased.

EricB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seth, I agree with Krista about the XF130. I wouldn't be considering selling my VorTechs if I wasn't so impressed with what I've seen of the Gyres. I'll know next week about how the XF150 will work out on my tank. If you really want to go with VorTechs you might want to consider getting two. I had two MP40wES's on the sides of my 125 and needed a MP10wES to get flow to the middle.

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a xf150 gyre on my 75 and its awesome i got the xf150 because it wont be working as hard and if i ever upgrade the power is there right now its running a 30% on pulse i would recommend these to anyone very happy with mine

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anythings better than the modded maxi jets I have right now!! I'll ise a lot of what I have right now to get started and try to add as I go.

I hope the guy I hired to work on bracing my trailer is getting it done today. I hope my RO membrane comes in soon so I can set it up again and start making water.

I really would like to go today and get two ten gallon aquariums and a cheap stand for them from Walmart today. We will see.

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the gyre, I hope it's not just a fad. Another piece of expensive, unnecessary piece of equipment. If I decide to get a gyre it will be later down the road when it's been tested for a year or so and the price comes down some.

Can't wait to drill return lines and plumb this baby up!

OP
OP
SnakeBlitz33

SnakeBlitz33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, as far as the return pump is concerned, I am thinking about going with a pump that pushes 500-600 gallons at four foot of head. I don't want a whole lot of flow going through the sump. Does that sound pretty average for a mixed reef tank with some Sps corals?

mjs020294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything above 5-6 cycles per hour is fine, so on a 75g a pump capable of 400+ is sufficient. I think if you achieve 600gph it will be perfect.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back